Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Model for rainfall - A laymans guide ?

• 26-11-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭

I monitor rainfall forecast daily as I spend a lot of time outdoors. Recently I have noticed big variations between different forecast sites - especially yr.no & XC. I know that XC uses the latest GFS.

I use the Weatheronline expert charts but it seems that the only rainfall prediction is via the GFS model. I also use the EHMI site where their rainfall prediction is based on HIRLAM.

So who do you think is the best at predicting where & when rain will fall ? Is there one model that is accepted as being more accurate ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Weatheronline also has the NAE, which is the hi-res son of the UKMO, as well as all the others. Compare this with the GFS and HiRLAM and you should get a good overview of what should happen.

It should be noted, however, that no model is absolutely perfect when it comes to precip forecasts, but the LAMs will give the best output.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I like the NAE (available on weatheronline). It has a higher resolution that the global models like the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks. I can see what you mean when I compare the GFS & NAE. Is a HIRLAM rainfall prediction available on Weatheronline - is it called something else ? I find that the EHMI HIRLAM rainfall animation to be pretty accurate - it's a pity that the map is a bit small.

For me it's the timing of the rain that is more important than amounts. I am forever looking at the radar & trying to extrapolate as to when or whether a lump of rain will hit my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks. I can see what you mean when I compare the GFS & NAE. Is a HIRLAM rainfall prediction available on Weatheronline - is it called something else ? I find that the EHMI HIRLAM rainfall animation to be pretty accurate - it's a pity that the map is a bit small.

For me it's the timing of the rain that is more important than amounts. I am forever looking at the radar & trying to extrapolate as to when or whether a lump of rain will hit my location.

HIRLAM :

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2&carte=0

Thanks but I find that the EHMI map is much clearer & easy to use. Other web sites would do well to copy this:

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

EDIT: HIRLAM may not be so good ! The EHMI shows Ireland as dry & we have torrential rain here !

I have also just realised that NAE only covers 48 hours ahead.

According to yr.no. I might as well give up on next week whereas XC is far more optimistic.

• Advertisement

The NAE's right there on the same page as the GFS!!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=3&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Su Campu wrote: »

I know - I referred to looking at it in a previous post ;)

It was HIRLAM that I was trying to find..

I know - I referred to looking at it in a previous post ;)

It was HIRLAM that I was trying to find..

Oh duh.....I'm still half asleep!!! :rolleyes:

By the way, yr.no is the HiRLAM for Europe, and ECMWF for the rest of the world.

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Sogn_og_Fjordane/V%C3%A5gs%C3%B8y/Kr%C3%A5kenes/advanced_map.html

Oh duh.....I'm still half asleep!!! :rolleyes:

I was walking the dogs along the Galway coast - that wakes you up :D

I guess that part of my frustration is trying to extrapolate the radar. Last night I was sure that a shower would miss me so I walked the dogs .....& came home drenched :eek:

Last Monday a huge lump of rain moved up towards Galway & I was about to give up & go home - but at the very last minute it changed direction !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I don't get what your saying Disco,

NAE shows exactly what was forecast.
    NOON
    182691.JPG

MET RADAR

182693.JPG

By the way, yr.no is the HiRLAM for Europe, and ECMWF for the rest of the world.

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Sogn_og_Fjordane/V%C3%A5gs%C3%B8y/Kr%C3%A5kenes/advanced_map.html

I used to rely on yr.no. but their longer range forecasts seem way off recently. There have been a series of forecasts where they, at the week end, predict a dire week ahead but then it's not so bad.

It may sound daft but XC seem to be the optimists & yr.no. the pessimists.

redsunset wrote: »
    I don't get what your saying Disco,
    NAE shows exactly what was forecast.

Yes but I have only discovered NAE today :D

But, as I have already pointed out, NAE only covers 48 hours. On Sunday evening I will be trying to plan the week. I will be trying to guess which days will be best for which task. So I have to use sites that give longer range predictions.

In any given week I might have say three days where I need some dry weather. So it's case of trying to balance the forecasts & the timing of rain can be critical.

Oh ok.

As far as Im aware no higher resolution model goes past 48 hours.

Maybe Met Eireann have something but the time gets too far ahead after 48 hours to be called hi res in my book

I appreciate that Sun eve is too early to be sure about rainfall on the following Thursday/Friday. I was just wondering if one model might tend to be more accurate. I guess that I need to monitor them over a period of time & see.

I can't recall a thread where anyone has said that they use a particular site because it is the most reliable. Of course there is MTC forecast but that is not detailed enough to really help.

Just note that all the different sites are all posting the same model data, just with different graphics, and there is no human input. So no one site will be better than another. The only exception is the Hirlam, which does have slightly different output depending on the country it's generated in. The Spanish AEMET hirlam on meteociel goes out to 60 hours.

The Spanish AEMET hirlam on meteociel goes out to 60 hours.

Oh yes i forgot bout that one.:)

Just note that all the different sites are all posting the same model data, just with different graphics, and there is no human input. So no one site will be better than another. The only exception is the Hirlam, which does have slightly different output depending on the country it's generated in. The Spanish AEMET hirlam on meteociel goes out to 60 hours.

But there is a huge difference in the graphics & predicted rainfall amounts so there must be some individual interpretation.

That 60 hr is too depressing - Monday looks dire !

But there is a huge difference in the graphics & predicted rainfall amounts so there must be some individual interpretation.

There's no individual interpretation. The various models each have their own set of characteristics, resolution, physics, etc. Some are hydrostatic, some are sigma, some are spectral, etc., so hence the variationn in output. Part of a forecaster's job is to estimate which ones are the more likely outcomes for a particular setup, and indeed some may even disregard the models completely if they're totally off the wall. But this only happens when generating human forecasts, not the charts we see on meteociel, etc., which are just a set of numbers automatically plotted in graphical format on a map.

The ECMWF is usually taken as the most reliable overall, and the Hirlam takes its initial data from the ECMWF. The NAE takes its data from the UKMO, the WRF takes its from the GFS (see the UCD link posted in the Useful Sites thread). At the moment, the setup is highly uncertain when looking for fine details for the end of the week, as the strength of the strong Atlantic jet at the moment is open to small changes, and there are few upper data there where they're needed. These variations extend to the surface charts and magnify, leading to the variations in rainfall predictions a few days down the road. If we had a different setup the models may be a lot more in agreement, but hey, thet's the best we can do for the time being.

T

The ECMWF is usually taken as the most reliable overall, and the Hirlam takes its initial data from the ECMWF.

Weatheronline does not appear to have a precipitation section for ECMWF. Do they produce one or does one have to use HIRLAM for rain ?

• Advertisement

Weatheronline does not appear to have a precipitation section for ECMWF. Do they produce one or does one have to use HIRLAM for rain ?
    I know, that's annoying. The ECMWF release very few freely-available data to the public, but MET Eireann do have ECMWF precipitation in their 5 Day Charts section.

I know, that's annoying. The ECMWF release very few freely-available data to the public, but MET Eireann do have ECMWF precipitation in their 5 Day Charts section.

I know that I criticise ME but I have to say that the 5 day is poor. I thought that it would be invaluable but it has turned out to be really inaccurate & I have given up using it. By the way if you have influence in ME please ask them to highlight the outline of Ireland in the 3 hour - the graphics mask the coastline.

For example the ME 5 day shows Galway as dry at 12.00 Monday. The Spanish HIRLAM shows Galway as deluged at the same time. So if I am planning work ME indicates that I might get a least a few hours whereas HIRLAM says no chance.

If it's inaccurate then it's not their fault, they're just publishing the model data.

redsunset wrote: »

Thanks. My Sunday evening planning is going to take even longer as I whiz around websites.

It's the exact same data, just a different site.

It's the exact same data, just a different site.

Of course it is,but from what I gather Disco is trying to find a site more appealing to the their eye.

If you zoom out the ME charts to Atlantic View then it's very clear, and the geographical area is more relevant to Ireland. Sometimes I think there's a refusal by some to acknowlege when ME do something right.

Not by me anyway,I think Met Eireann do a fantastic job and yes i do often use the Atlantic charts on their site to get a feel for what lies ahead.

No ME bashing here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

For what it's worth, my first port of call would be to look at the EMHI & DMI models. As Su noted above, each (European) country has its own slightly different version of the HIRLAM model which tends to be very specific for that particular country.

Regarding the EMHI, I tend to find this version of the HIRLAM model is not so great handling frontal precipitation events such as is the case today! whereas the DMI version handles the same far better I think.

Having said that, the EMHI model I think is far superior in handling convective, mesoscale type features both in terms of intensity and location.

I have noticed though that the lower res (30km grid) ECMWF model can sometimes be quicker than even the HIRLAM model on picking up on sudden changes at a synoptic level that might cause an area of precipitation to take a more different path than what its higher res counterpart might have shown (an example of this happened earlier this week in fact)

As has already been said, the NAE is another quality hi res model and does quite well with convective features especially I think. The GFS I think is improving a lot over the last couple of years re prep forecasts and is always worth having a look. In fact, I have noticed that this model has sometimes handled rain events better than all the others over the last year. :)

Advertisement