Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

deep1 wrote:
    That’s handy, better than fiddling with router setting.

Yeah..ignore the poor reviews on playstore as people enter wifi password to login rather than modem password on the bottom of the box..

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I got a poor offer from VM so checked my options and I was down as siro compatible. Signed up for the Vodafone 1Gigabyte deal, 25 for 6 months then 50 for 6 months. VM came back with another rubbish offer but no deal. Then someone came to my house last week to run the fibre to the house for Vodafone, I seen this been done to neighbors houses over the last couple months so they must only run the cable if you make a switch from VM. We're in a new estate and VM were installed already. We've had problems with VM the last few months so glad to switch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Did not get any calls either..infact told to recycle virgin hub on my own..not even looking to be sent back...

I am anyways happy with my voda...the control you have over wifi over connected devices is God send..kids are wondering why their wifi does not work during some hoursðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Is that with Siro? I’m not in a siro area but would be handy if their standard package had this too.

danois wrote:
    Is that with Siro? I’m not in a siro area but would be handy if their standard package had this too.

No it's not Siro...but same router is used for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Got no joy with them when I rang. Am paying €59 for broadband and phone. Got the usual miserable offers and said no, put me down for cancellation.

Have been phoning around for deals but unfortunately nobody can match Virgin's speed. I'm in Dublin 8 for God's sake, you'd think there would be other providers who can come close. I'll hold out till a few days before cancellation to see if they get in contact but if not, I'll have to go cap in hand again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Got no joy with them when I rang. Am paying €59 for broadband and phone. Got the usual miserable offers and said no, put me down for cancellation.

Have been phoning around for deals but unfortunately nobody can match Virgin's speed. I'm in Dublin 8 for God's sake, you'd think there would be other providers who can come close. I'll hold out till a few days before cancellation to see if they get in contact but if not, I'll have to go cap in hand again :mad:

What did they offer, out of curiosity?

I'm just on BB and tbh 59 is expensive enough without the increase coming.

Is there a chance they'd give you a few months half price vendor that or is it only bundle customers they'd try to keep?

noodler wrote: »
    What did they offer, out of curiosity?

I'm just on BB and tbh 59 is expensive enough without the increase coming.

Is there a chance they'd give you a few months half price vendor that or is it only bundle customers they'd try to keep?

€47 for three months and €59 for nine months I think. They also said I would go from 240 to 250mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

€47 for three months and €59 for nine months I think. They also said I would go from 240 to 250mbps

I got that offer last year. Cancelled and then took up that offer as they wouldn't give me another. Rang this year and said I was off to Vodafone due to the price.

They offered half price 6 months and then 59€.

Ring them back and ask can they match Vodafone. They won't but might offer a better deal.

baldbear wrote: »
    I got that offer last year. Cancelled and then took up that offer as they wouldn't give me another. Rang this year and said I was off to Vodafone due to the price.

They offered half price 6 months and then 59€.

Ring them back and ask can they match Vodafone. They won't but might offer a better deal.

Trouble is, they know they're the fastest in my area :(. I even quoted Boards and the offers people were getting but they weren't interested. Probably have a pain in their hoop listening to people mentioning Boards every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

edit: was a bit frustrating not knowing will i get half price deal honored but it went trough fine, as accounts got balanced and full payment for previous month covered next months half price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Thinking off hanging on to see what they offer for Black Friday I have two accounts both got increased. They don’t even justify the price increase anymore and tbh not in any form for ringing them to haggle.

Do you think I could cancel and sign up in my wife’s name ?would it be straight forward ? Don’t want to disrupt my service.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

You need to give 30 day notice to cancel your contract so I doubt you can benefit from any black friday deals, anyways those offers are only for new customers. When you cancel your account, you need to send back your equipment and get the new equipment for the account under your wife's name.

So if you think you can leave with few days no internet, that's possible to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

i had virgin media for past 3 years and never one issue with their service...100% up time and 240mb package ...started at 35pm for 6months to 44e...then 44 to 59e ...rang to cancel and got offfer back to 44e for 6months without phone i think was offer....but decided to get pure telecom 100mb and phone for 35pm for 12months...got it in yesterday and so far so good...90mb wired direct and 50/60 over wifi which is fine... have 3 kids .. very heavy users....average 900gig pm data usage ....100mb is fine if they can keep speed around that...fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Just off the phone to them. Best they could for me is a reduction of €15 for 9 months. Mentioned this thread etc etc and said it was the best they could do. Triggered termination there and then, see if they call me back in the mean time. Otherwise, I will see what black Friday has to offer, or else open a new account in the OH's name and get a deal that way.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    You need to give 30 day notice to cancel your contract so I doubt you can benefit from any black friday deals, anyways those offers are only for new customers. When you cancel your account, you need to send back your equipment and get the new equipment for the account under your wife's name.

So if you think you can leave with few days no internet, that's possible to do.

But technically my wife will be the new customer same address different bank account number so would she not be able to sign up within the 30 days notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

But technically my wife will be the new customer same address different bank account number so would she not be able to sign up within the 30 days notice ?

there can't be 2 accounts under same address I believe. Your account needs to be off then someone else can create a new account for your address, and it takes 30 days for your account to get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

there can't be 2 accounts under same address I believe. Your account needs to be off then someone else can create a new account for your address, and it takes 30 days for your account to get cancelled.

We have 2 accounts, they put a 'B' for the 2nd address ......course that was back in UPC days but still stands

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I had two accounts on the go in August and was fine. Signed up my wife with a different bank account. There was about three weeks when there was an overlap.

I had two accounts on the go in August and was fine. Signed up my wife with a different bank account. There was about three weeks when there was an overlap.

Did you have any loss on the service whilst you where changing over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Did you have any loss on the service whilst you where changing over ?

I recently cancelled my BB account and signed the wife up to the €55 p/month deal they had for BB/TV/Phone. No loss in connection but had overlap of accounts. Still waiting on technician to come out to fix something that he cut off on me last week but that's a different issue I'm having with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

I called VM today and the best offer available was €15 off for 9 months. Time to say goodbye as I have Siro available now!

Not sure whether to go with Vodafone (€25 x6+€65x6=€540) or Sky (€59x12=€708).

Anybody have experience with Vodafone TV?
    I'm curious how the router in the hall connects to the tv box in the living room?
    Is the TV quality good?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

evostik wrote: »
    I called VM today and the best offer available was €15 off for 9 months. Time to say goodbye as I have Siro available now!

I'm curious how the router in the hall connects to the tv box in the living room?
    Is the TV quality good?

Cheers.

Sky also charge 200€ for installation afaik, Vodafone offer is no brainier really.

Vodafone...Quick two weeks update ..have 12 devices connected on vodafone and not even a blip...love the app to control modem settings etc...the gigabox seems really powerful in terms of reception even on 5 ghz ..Netflix 4K, YouTube 4K, IPTV has been seamless so far and 85 Mbps has been avg speed..have used 250GB so far ...Yes it's not 240Mbps but its sufficient for my usage...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is the TV quality good?

Cheers.

As Siro doesn’t come through your existing telephone line you should be able to have your modem installed wherever you like. Either way they will need to run in a new cable to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

Vodafone...Quick two weeks update ..have 12 devices connected on vodafone and not even a blip...love the app to control modem settings etc...the gigabox seems really powerful in terms of reception even on 5 ghz ..Netflix 4K, YouTube 4K, IPTV has been seamless so far and 85 Mbps has been avg speed..have used 250GB so far ...Yes it's not 240Mbps but its sufficient for my usage...

I got vodafone 1gb installed on Monday, leaving vm on the 23rd.
    Wired connection on 2 devices speed test vary 500gb to 800gb and wifi speeds 250ish on our devices. I havent seen the setting for 5ghz on wifi search like vm, must get on to vodafone about this.

Vm did offer me 6 months half price but i wanted 9 so I cancelled. I am very pleased with my decision, works out 37.50 pm for 1 year, even with vm 6 months half price offer was still working out 48 pm for the year.

Is the TV quality good?

Cheers.
    its pretty much down to network card on tv, if it supports 5ghz band you'll be able to watch whatever you like in 4k no buffer,
    tested on mobile in friends place and his Samsung galaxy s9 tops out at over 300mbs on wireless, so down to NIC, but overall should be no issues at all to stream across halls etc. strong signal, and almost two years in, not a single service disruption. id imagine wired connection would be a blast :)
    didn't get to fiddle with interface as the pass code is like 10digits long so a bit pain in the hole to enter into router if its not on hand.
    but would be hard to believe it wouldnt have second 5ghz channel, given the bandwidth it can push.

pat1981 wrote:
    I got vodafone 1gb installed on Monday, leaving vm on the 23rd. Wired connection on 2 devices speed test vary 500gb to 800gb and wifi speeds 250ish on our devices. I havent seen the setting for 5ghz on wifi search like vm, must get on to vodafone about this.

If you have gigabox modem you can do that in its app or through a PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Aquos76 wrote: »
    As Siro doesn’t come through your existing telephone line you should be able to have your modem installed wherever you like. Either way they will need to run in a new cable to your home.

On mine they would only go to the hall, putting a small box on the side of the house. It was a bit annoying as I'd had VM going to the sitting room. But I've got homeplugs so it was easy to send the network to my switch in the sitting room. 80% of my stuff is on WiFi anyway.

Vodafone have been OK. Super is great. Had 2 outages in my area this year. Both for about half a day. I work from home and was affected by one of them for that.

After 12 months apparently they reduce the speed. That's coming up in Jan sti I'll ring them then to see what the story is. If I'm not happy I'll just get a contract with another siro provider. According to siro.ie digiweb do it for €35 per month on a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

deep1 wrote: »
    Sky also charge 200€ for installation afaik, Vodafone offer is no brainier really.

€25 for installation with Sky.

• Advertisement

vodafone does have installation fee as well, in their terms which could be few hundred depending on how hard installation is, think that was my only issue not to switch as in new areas its hard to know how much it might take or cost before engineer is sent, where those with pre existing connection id imagine have some small flat fee.

Advertisement