Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Anyone have odds for County final?

No offence to Ratoath but I’ll be lumping on Summerhill. Saw them in the quarter final and don’t think they’ll be beaten.

Bryan Ennis that used to play for them picked up a second county medal in Cavan with Castlerahan today.

Shane McAnarney, former Meath captain, was coaching Ramor (Virginia) who lost the final by a point.

Jody Devine led Laragh to intermediate glory last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Anyone have odds for County final?

No offence to Ratoath but I’ll be lumping on Summerhill. Saw them in the quarter final and don’t think they’ll be beaten.

Bryan Ennis that used to play for them picked up a second county medal in Cavan with Castlerahan today.

Shane McAnarney, former Meath captain, was coaching Ramor (Virginia) who lost the final by a point.

Jody Devine led Laragh to intermediate glory last week.
    Not saying that they won't win, but how come you're basing it on the quarter final? Na Fianna wouldn't really be up to much at the moment, like Skryne in our quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

If they both go toe to toe concentrating on their own strengths and the weather is good, should be a cracking final....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Surprised how bad the crowd is in Dublin SFC QFs. You would see better in a Carlow club hurling game. Whats happening?

Crowds generally poor until maby the final dont really understand it myself as some of the clubs have a large membership and will put in for a lot of all ireland tickets .The last couple of finals have got good crowds but I have been to some with about 4000 there .Dublin fans really only bother with the senior team as crowds for other grades are usually tiny .

Not saying that they won't win, but how come you're basing it on the quarter final? Na Fianna wouldn't really be up to much at the moment, like Skryne in our quarter final.

They looked an impressive team. I had heard Kells were favourites for the Meath senior title ahead of the game but Summerhill looked a level above them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

When will the final be on lads? Seems like it should be a cracker for my first trip to a Meath SFC final.

dobman88 wrote: »
    When will the final be on lads? Seems like it should be a cracker for my first trip to a Meath SFC final.

Sunday week I believe.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Sunday week I believe.

Thanks. That's Unfortunate. Bank holiday weekend is busy for me. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

In recent years anyway, its always been on the october bank hol weekend, i hope the intermediate final is on the same day like in the old days, but not so much in the last few years, when they realised 2 big finals on separate days are better then 2 big finals on the same day

Edit: just been told the intermediate final is on the bank hol saturday, antbody know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The fixture planner has the Intermediate on the Saturday and Senior on the Sunday.

• Advertisement

The curtain raiser for the senior final will be the minor football final as far as I know. Not sure if there's a curtain raiser for the intermediate final.

Edit: Junior football final is on before the Intermediate final.

Given that it's coming close, here are the draws for Meath teams in their respective Leinster championships:

Leinster Senior Club Football Championship
    Summerhill/Ratoath v Garrycastle (Westmeath) or Killoe Emmet Óg (Longford) - November 10th

Leinster Intermediate Club Hurling Championship
    Kiltale/Kildalkey v Seir Kieran/Clodiagh Gaels (Offaly) - November 2nd

Leinster Intermediate Club Football Championship
    Trim/Nobber v Caulry (Westmeath) or Dunlavin (Wicklow) - November 9th

Leinster Junior Club Football Championship
    Clann na nGael/Moylagh v Ballynacargy (Westmeath) or An Tochar (Wicklow) - November 9th/10th

Leinster Junior Club Hurling Championship
    Clann na nGael v Maynooth (Kildare) - October 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

County board will be doing a weekend pass for finals weekend so if you're heading both days you can save a few bob. Hopefully they also roll this out for group games next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

who do u think will win the hurling replay?

Think Kildalkey left it behind them last time. 5 points up with 3 minutes to go and against 14 men and they still needed a last minute point to force a replay. I think Kiltale have more scope to improve on Sunday and will make it 6 in a row.

Ratoath beat Kilbride 2-15 to 1-9 in the Junior B final.
    Clann na nGael beat Maynooth 4-17 to 1-10 in the Leinster JHC preliminary round. They'll play Cullion of Westmeath in the quarter final.

Ratoath beat Kilbride 2-15 to 1-9 in the Junior B final.
    Clann na nGael beat Maynooth 4-17 to 1-10 in the Leinster JHC preliminary round. They'll play Cullion of Westmeath in the quarter final.

Back to back championships for that team after winning the C last year.

Back to back championships for that team after winning the C last year.
    Yeah to be fair, it was a bit bad for a senior teams second team to be in junior C. There was a good bit of commitment issues for a while that resulted in them going down from junior B to C (after getting in the junior B final to Clonard in 2011). Be interesting how the reserve championship pans out next season. Regardless of losing yesterday, it'll do Kilbride the world of good to play against higher quality opposition next year.

Yeah to be fair, it was a bit bad for a senior teams second team to be in junior C. There was a good bit of commitment issues for a while that resulted in them going down from junior B to C (after getting in the junior B final to Clonard in 2011). Be interesting how the reserve championship pans out next season. Regardless of losing yesterday, it'll do Kilbride the world of good to play against higher quality opposition next year.

Speaking of the new structures, can you explain it to me? I play for DonAsh junior side since moving here and this new structure seems like it's going to kill teams like that or am I totally wrong? I just want to play ball before I finish up and have no interest in playing for a senior team. Is it the end of 3rd and 4th teams for clubs?

Think Kildalkey left it behind them last time. 5 points up with 3 minutes to go and against 14 men and they still needed a last minute point to force a replay. I think Kiltale have more scope to improve on Sunday and will make it 6 in a row.
    Shows how much I know. Kiltale hammered 1-17 to 0-11, only scored 3 points in the second half.
    Excellent performance by Kildalkey and fully deserved.

• Advertisement

Speaking of the new structures, can you explain it to me? I play for DonAsh junior side since moving here and this new structure seems like it's going to kill teams like that or am I totally wrong? I just want to play ball before I finish up and have no interest in playing for a senior team. Is it the end of 3rd and 4th teams for clubs?
    I'm pretty sure there's still going to be third and fourth teams. Not entirely sure how it's going to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Shows how much I know. Kiltale hammered 1-17 to 0-11, only scored 3 points in the second half.
    Excellent performance by Kildalkey and fully deserved.

So happy to read of this result today, my Dad comes from and played for Kildalkey. Couldn't make it to the game but will ring him tomorrow.
    There will be some session in the Village for the next few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm pretty sure there's still going to be third and fourth teams. Not entirely sure how it's going to work though.

My understanding of the Premier Junior is it will be second teams of Senior clubs. Don/Ash, Dunboyne and Group C of this year's Junior A. I'm not sure if it means clubs second teams operating at Junior B and below come up to it though. I can't see it affecting third and fourth teams at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Summerhill in the Minor final on Sunday too..Great win over Skyrne after being 11 points down at one stage in 1st half

So it turns out that the Senior final can't be streamed live on the Meath GAA app because the Cork senior football final and the Kilkenny senior hurling final are being shown on TG4 at the same time. Supposedly the GAA have a rule that counties can't stream their own games when there's games in any county being shown live on TV.
    That's an utterly stupid rule.

Missed this on Wednesday: Ladies goalkeeper Monica McGuirk has been nominated for Intermediate players' player of the year.

Draw game in the Junior final, 1-8 apiece. Replay next weekend probably.
    Half time in the Intermediate final and 3 first half goals (2 from Jordan Morris and 1 from Brian Farrell) have given Nobber a commanding 3-5 to 8 point lead over Trim.

4-16 to 0-13 it finished. What on earth happened to Trim?? Just didn't show up by the sounds of it. Nobber only had 4 scorers but Jordan Morris got 2-5 and Brian Farrell got 1-7 while Seán Meade and Niall Farrell got 1-1 and 0-3 respectively.
    Nobber now play Dunlavin of Wicklow in the Leinster Intermediate championship.

Draw game in the Junior final, 1-8 apiece. Replay next weekend probably.

Replay on Wednesday in Ashbourne..8pm throw in

• Advertisement

Replay on Wednesday in Ashbourne..8pm throw in
    Yeah saw that. Forgot that Clann na nGael are in Leinster hurling action next weekend and then the Junior football winners play Leinster the following weekend.

Advertisement