Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In your own words you are only available to participate on a Saturday ( not important enough to miss work)maybe Sunday. Weekend (eco) warrior bit like the old FCA.

I’m amused and bemused by your interest in my personal involvement.

I’m very supportive but can’t attend in person due to work commitments. Don’t worry about me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They were in Pennys today on Henry Street protesting and screeching threw a megaphone.

You can be sure those eco-hipsters won't be spending daddy's money in Penny's.

Calhoun wrote: »
    You support it 24/7 but cannot be arsed actually going to it, and plan to take your kids to meet them on the weekend like its a trip to the zoo.

You also want to ban private cars and air travel, you must live in Dublin and don't travel very far.

Yes I would bring my kids to visit them just so they can be inspired by them - geniune activists who will be lauded in years to come.

No not in favor of banning private cars and air travel. Just substantial green levies on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I’m very supportive but can’t attend in person due to work commitments. Don’t worry about me!!

Well people are trying to get an idea of what you actually stand for. You seem to be for it but cannot make the time to make it.

If its as serious as you mention then shouldn't you make the time.

You are also making statements about things you support that would drastically change normal day to day life but not going to deep into either.

Its hard to get an understanding if you support it or like most are fair weather supporters who will move to the next big thing once it blows over.

Yes I would bring my kids to visit them just so they can be inspired by them - geniune activists who will be lauded in years to come.

No not in favor of banning private cars and air travel. Just substantial green levies on them.

Are you going to do anything yourself to help the planet? to show them you practice what you preach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You are the one that has suggested all the sacrifices people need to make, yet you're not willing to even take time off work to protest. Now that's amusing!!

Well people are trying to get an idea of what you actually stand for. You seem to be for it but cannot make the time to make it.

If its as serious as you mention then shouldn't you make the time.

You are also making statements about things you support that would drastically change normal day to day life but not going to deep into either.

Its hard to get an understanding if you support it or like most are fair weather supporters who will move to the next big thing once it blows over.

I take time off at certain times of the year to sync with my kids hols etc. can’t be taking time off here and there on a whim. But I do support the protests.

I take time off at certain times of the year to sync with my kids hols etc. can’t be taking time off here and there on a whim. But I do support the protests.

You could take a personal day, pull a sickie even if it was so important. By your own admission this is a stand for your kids future.

Do you not feel your letting them down by sitting on the sidelines?

Are you going to do anything yourself to help the planet? to show them you practice what you preach?

Already do. We are nature and ecology focused. We have vegan days. Nature walks and eco hols

You could take a personal day, pull a sickie even if it was so important. By your own admission this is a stand for your kids future.

Do you not feel your letting them down by sitting on the sidelines?

Not for one split second am I feeling guilty. I feel like I’m supporting them 100 percent.

• Advertisement

Already do. We are nature and ecology focused. We have vegan days. Nature walks and eco hols

What do you mean by nature focused? Vegan days fair enough but nature walks and what is an eco hol?
    Not for one split second am I feeling guilty. I feel like I’m supporting them 100 percent.

Why not? if its as important as you are making out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

If anyone knows Niall boylan the radio DJ then follow him on Twitter.

The only one putting it up to these muppets on live air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

What really bugs about this climate change BS is this...

I am 48 years old. Since the mad panic in the 90s about global warming I have tried my very best to do the right thing. I make my clothes, household goods, car etc last as long as possible. (i have always been a broke ass anyway :P). I never took the 3 sun holidays a year that many others favored in the boom.

I spent the last 20 years recycling as much as possible. composting old food for the garden plants (in a small way i admit). Now I have a good job that requires me to travel to Dublin everyday. (just outside so not going into the city thank god). Suddenly I am worst that satan ffs. No i cannot take the bus, cos it would mean leaving home at 6 am and getting back at 730 pm and kinda like spending time with the wife and kids. (well, the kids anyway :P)

The job I have heavily involves recycling equipment which would otherwise go to landfill. the business structure relies on it. I have a daughter who got married to an american guy just this year so I will be going there at some points in the future, no way am I missing out on my family so some gob****e can feel smug about saving the climate while I have done more in my small way than they will ever do.

walking around with megaphones while nursing the latest Iphone, driving to the protest while telling me to take a bus, giving those idiots in government a reason to impose even more fking taxes on us while the rich guys, big companies etc get away with anything. that's not even considering what other countries are doing.

The 3rd world counties are producing much more emissions, and don't give me that per capita shiote either. we all know if india stops spending it's wealth on nukes and helped its own people out of poverty to bring them to our level then the first thing they will do is spend like us. new phone, new tv etc. otherwise why bother working hard if you can't enjoy the luxuries it is supposed to bring.

you think it's bad now, wait till the 3rd world raises itself up to become the 2nd or the 1st. But it's me and ordinary workers like me that are the problem apparently. we were all supposed to be under water by now according to "experts" in the 90s. before that it was an ice age coming according to the "experts" in the 70s.

at this point i say meh. I have heard enough. fk it. I recently discovered that my bins are going pay by weight. seems like a good idea, except that we pay for the recycling weight too. so the more i recycle the more i pay???? at the same time, coal is going up. hhhmmmmm. wonder how much heat burning plastic bottles gives? time to find out.

we are outside the top 50 polluters, 0.04% or some such rubbish. fair enough, those are rookie numbers, gotta get those numbers up. lets burn some shiote for ireland. c'mon lads we can do it.

oh, one last thing, we are all gonna have to give up following Ireland in the rubgy in japan, the world cup football can be cancelled, no more jollies abroad for you fans out there pmsl. yeah, that's gonna go down well.

rant over, back to being a grumpy ole lurker.

(oh, and as a Dundalk man, once again, sorry for jim corr, hes not our fault but sorry anyway)

What do you mean by nature focused? Vegan days fair enough but nature walks and what is an eco hol?

Why not? if its as important as you are making out?

Nature focused. Nature walks. Attenborough etc type nature documentaries constantly on. Discussions on environment challenges etc

Eco hol is staying in self service holiday homes and doing everything in as green as possible a way as we can. Foraging. Wild swimming. BBQ using gas not wood fuel. Last one was courtmacsharry co cork. We are Not perfect but we try.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nature focused. Nature walks. Attenborough etc type nature documentaries constantly on. Discussions on environment challenges etc

Eco hol is staying in self service holiday homes and doing everything in as green as possible a way as we can. Foraging. Wild swimming. BBQ using gas not wood fuel. Last one was courtmacsharry co cork. We are Not perfect but we try.

That is like nature voyeurism without actually doing anything. Do you recycle? what is the energy rating on your house? Do you limit the consumption in your house hold ?

How did you get to your eco holiday home? What did you forage and how often? for every meal?

Gas is a fossil fuel shouldn't you be using an electric grill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

:D Suppose you touch base with the missus each evening? Gotta circle back and manage those expectaions.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021335

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

I’ve already said umpteen Times I’m not in favor of disrupting joe and Josephine soap if using public transport

So people working, disabled or deliveries don't matter, also the emergency services are blocked with traffic delays.
    These thugs should be tried for murder if someone dies as a result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Not climate related but equally as threatening and harmful to humans is social media. How come there hasn't been any mass boycott of social media?

People talking about their kids suffering from the climate etc. What about all the depression and anxiety and suicides which is going to get worse cause by social media?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

lleti wrote: »
    Its hard to argue with that alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No you didn't deny climate change but turn about is fair play as you attributed allot to my comment that i never actually said. You seem to be waiting for a comment on farmers so you could explode, from what you wrote it came across as putting them on a pedestal.
    Jaysus I know enough farmers not to put them on a pedestal.
    You don't see the irony in saying that your view point as farming stock is more important than environmentalist and scientists?
    I never said that, but farming and say fishing are two occupations very weather dependent.
    And if you speak to any farmer (particularly the majority - the older ones) they can recount how things have changed and how seasons are out of sync with what they grew up with.

My argument was that some environmentalists claim farmers are climate change deniers and that only them and scientists have any idea.
    As per my original point we collectively as a society need to discuss it and all options have to be on the table and no sacred cows. That is the reality of what we need to face up to as a society.

Yes, but some posters here like a certain raging vegan one want to obliterate farming.
    Another spoofer who goes on eco holidays in West cork with his synced kids wants to turn half the county into a game reserve for wolves.

These loons want to finish Irish farming.
    Does the continuing loss of biodiversity and the pollution of our waterways and the increasing reliance on cars in ireland not bother you? Or the fact we import millions of tonnes of maize and soy from south america every year to feed irish cattle of which most of is exported as beef and dairy? That sounds like madness to me and like we are destroying whats left of the island.

What fruit do you eat ?
    I presume you as a vegan eat loads of tofu, soya based stuff, quinoa.
    So is that not imported into Ireland meaning it is exported from somewhere else ?
    So is it ok to export that suff from half way across the globe to us, but not for us to export beef, lamb, dairy throughout Europe and sometimes beyond ?

You forgot the wolves.
    Fook me you can't forget the wolves.

BTW why not use wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

wood is not a fossil fuel ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

PMU wrote: »
    wood is not a fossil fuel ffs

Can't use it for fear it might be one of the trees he hugged , had to break out the gas gril.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Oh how very middle class of you. You want to make air travel as unaffordable as possible for the working classes who save hard for a week away in Spain or wherever every year, but the likes of yourself can fly as often as you like because you can afford it, so you are somehow better than the plebs. The stench of hypocrisy from your posts is breathtaking, so much so that I'm unconvinced that you aren't trolling.

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus I know enough farmers not to put them on a pedestal.

I never said that, but farming and say fishing are two occupations very weather dependent.
    And if you speak to any farmer (particularly the majority - the older ones) they can recount how things have changed and how seasons are out of sync with what they grew up with.

My argument was that some environmentalists claim farmers are climate change deniers and that only them and scientists have any idea.

Yes, but some posters here like a certain raging vegan one want to obliterate farming.
    Another spoofer who goes on eco holidays in West cork with his synced kids wants to turn half the county into a game reserve for wolves.

These loons want to finish Irish farming.

What fruit do you eat ?
    So is that not imported into Ireland meaning it is exported from somewhere else ?
    So is it ok to export that suff from half way across the globe to us, but not for us to export beef, lamb, dairy throughout Europe and sometimes beyond ?

You forgot the wolves.

BTW why not use wood?

Well then I think we both caught each other's point wrong, I don't disagree with anything you have said.

My main point has always been that their are fair weather activists who know **** all who want change but won't have up to the real life changing impact from it.

In my local area 4-5 farmers have agree to turn their land into a solar farm with sheep grazing below them, yet those who are apparently all for eco changes are against it.

People are going to have to be careful of what they wish for.

blueshade wrote: »
    Oh how very middle class of you. You want to make air travel as unaffordable as possible for the working classes who save hard for a week away in Spain or wherever every year, but the likes of yourself can fly as often as you like because you can afford it, so you are somehow better than the plebs. The stench of hypocrisy from your posts is breathtaking, so much so that I'm unconvinced that you aren't trolling.

Sorry now but I’m lower middle class myself. The air travel taxes would effect me and my family also. I’m still advocating them though. That’s the difference. It’s not hypocritical when I’m prepared to take a hit myself.

Im willing to make changes as I accept we are in a climate emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jmayo wrote: »

What fruit do you eat ?

You forgot the wolves.

BTW why not use wood?

I don't eat tofu or quinoa, I'm not even really sure what quinoa is, some kind of grain I think. I'm not a vegan though. It's about doing the least amount of damage, so importing and exporting food isn't going to go away, but if we change to a more plant based diet and cut down on meat, there'll be far more land to give back to nature, around the world.
    Your beloved farmers are importing millions of tonnes of soya from south America to feed cows, and maize too. I don't care if people eat beef, I'd just rather the country wasn't one big green desert for feeding cows, and we can't even grow enough grass to feed them.
    What kind of f*cking moron wants wolves in Ireland given you can't walk 100 meters in our so called countryside without hitting a road or a house or a cow? Obviously there's no room for them so why anyone would take a suggestion like that seriously is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What kind of f*cking moron wants wolves in Ireland given you can't walk 20 meters in our so called countryside without hitting a road or a house or a cow? Obviously there's no room for them so why anyone would take a suggestion like that seriously is beyond me.

Had you a straight face as you typed this hyperbolic crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Had you a straight face as you typed this hyperbolic crap?

Well people keep going on about introducing wolves - why? there's no room for them in Ireland and probably hasn't been in centuries.

Advertisement