Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Lol. It's the least "modern and fancy" website I've seen launched within the last decade. To me it looks like they made a conscious effort not to make it look modern, or at least, certainly not fancy!

I blame the influence of the Millennials

Lol. It's the least "modern and fancy" website I've seen launched within the last decade. To me it looks like they made a conscious effort not to make it look modern, or at least, certainly not fancy!

It looks fancier then the plain old site they had which I much prefer by the way.

Joe Public wrote: »
    I blame the influence of the Millennials

Na, it's just the usual , company thinks people want something different, people go to met.ie for information not to see a newer website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

It needs a Realfeel temperature. No point saying it's going to be 7C when in fact due to the windchill , it's going to be something like 0C. Other apps display Realfeel, why not Met Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The radar is down on the new page but still ok on the old one. Looks like the Arcus weather app still uses the old radar whereas Dark Skies appears to use the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Great to see dual presentation of wind speeds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »

Not in the Play store or auto updating yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Discodog wrote: »
    Not in the Play store or auto updating yet.

Yup, not in Play Store, last updated 18/9/18.

I notice that the Rain radar sometimes comes up blank & needs a few refreshes to show the rain.

• Advertisement

Got the update in Apple store last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sryanbruen wrote: »

Just a bit mad how the default wind speed setting in the Android app is mph over kmph. Didn't we go metric 40 or 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I've just downloaded the app now and am pleasantly surprised at the general quality or it and the forecast charts. However, why on earth does it not have current conditions, latest reports, etc., or am I missing something?

• Just a bit mad how the default wind speed setting in the Android app is mph over kmph. Didn't we go metric 40 or 50 years ago.
    I assume that there is a preference option there somewhere to choose units.
    Don't forget the Americans still use Fahrenheit!

I assume that there is a preference option there somewhere to choose units.
    Don't forget the Americans still use Fahrenheit!

THere is a preference option to change it. But why would the default setting be the obsolete, imperial method? Just seems sloppy.

There was some dumb Senator calling on them to use MPH as well as KMPH in their storm warnings to help the old people, so the issue of units has come to their attention.

Why default to the old method, instead of the current one?

• Why default to the old method, instead of the current one?
    Old habits die hard, more likely developed in the US or adapted from a US app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Regarding the app. It’s a pretty well designed app in my view although would like to change the order of some of the summary page.

Old habits die hard, more likely developed in the US or adapted from a US app.

Just realised it was my error - it was the UK Met Office app I had installed, not the Met EIreann one.

Apologies for any confusion.

Can anyone find the Met Eireann app on the Play store? All I can find is the old Fusio one from last year.

• Just realised it was my error - it was the UK Met Office app I had installed, not the Met EIreann one.

Apologies for any confusion.

Can anyone find the Met Eireann app on the Play store? All I can find is the old Fusio one from last year.
    Oh well, that explains the default units, UK still unable to transition between the two units

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Why was an 'update' advertised when there is no update to be had?

Rarely use it anyway. As mentioned above, no access to nationwide current conditions, except, in my case, a generic reading for 'Galway', courtesy of Mace Hd readings, that bears no relation to temp, humidity or wind speed in the east of the county pretty much most of the time, which is sad, as pretty much most 3rd party apps are actually better for showing current conditions closer to home at any one time.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Why was an 'update' advertised when there is no update to be had?

Rarely use it anyway. As mentioned above, no access to nationwide current conditions, except, in my case, a generic reading for 'Galway', courtesy of Mace Hd readings, that bears no relation to temp, humidity or wind speed in the east of the county pretty much most of the time, which is sad, as pretty much most 3rd party apps are actually better for showing current conditions closer to home at any one time.

My Galway always gives Athenry.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    My Galway always gives Athenry.

My 'current conditions' are reading 8.0c, with light rain.

It is dry here currently with temp of 6.5c. UK based 'WeatherPro' app, is showing broken cloud and 7.0c at present. So once again, closer to the mark.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭kc56

My 'current conditions' are reading 8.0c, with light rain.

It is dry here currently with temp of 6.5c. UK based 'WeatherPro' app, is showing broken cloud and 7.0c at present. So once again, closer to the mark.

"Current conditions" on Met Eireann apps/web are reports from the nearest weather station; Athenry is nearest Galway.

kc56 wrote: »
    "Current conditions" on Met Eireann apps/web are reports from the nearest weather station; Athenry is nearest Galway.

Except, as I have stated, this is not quite the case... in my case.

New Moon

Except, as I have stated, this is not quite the case... in my case.

If I select Galway City as the location, the data is from Athenry (2100, cloudy, 7C)

If I select Galway City as the location, the data is from Athenry (2100, cloudy, 7C)

I am just a little over 15 miles north of Athenry, and just little over 15 miles SE of Claremorris. I am 45 miles NE of Mace Hd.

Other stations I would actually be closer to than Mace Hd:
    Newport
    Knock Apt
    Mt. Dillon.

New Moon

Oh well, that explains the default units, UK still unable to transition between the two units

That would be it all right. Does anyone have a link to the met.ie Android app please?

That would be it all right. Does anyone have a link to the met.ie Android app please?

Link at the bottom of the met.ie home-page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met now putting kph beside wind speeds in brackets

good move

• Advertisement

Link at the bottom of the met.ie home-page.
    Just realised I already had it. I thought there was a new app, other than the Fusio one. Seems a bit mickey mouse to have it on the developer's name on the play store, rather than setting up themselves.

Advertisement