Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new rail map for Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Title made me think that maybe they'd got around to updating the cards on the 29000 fleet that are missing the Tunnel services finally!

Could do with the Airport Hopper 767 and 777 added if it wants to have airport buses as well as trains on it - 767 is quicker than train + Drumcondra airport bus normally and the 777 probably a lot faster than Luas + city centre airport bus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

several of the stations marked as having "no step free access" do actually have lifts or ramps - Greystones, Killiney and Kilcoole for a start.

Otherwise a nice map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 London Correspondent

It's a huge step forward from some of the crude maps that were out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where are we London? Very TUBEISH

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where are we London? Very TUBEISH

The article clearly says they take inspiration from the London Underground map, as it's the gold standard of transport maps (I'd agree with this). Looks good.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    The article clearly says they take inspiration from the London Underground map, as it's the gold standard of transport maps (I'd agree with this). Looks good.

Aren't those maps copyright protected though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aren't those maps copyright protected though?

The actual maps are, the design is so old I assume it isn't anymore

L1011 wrote: »
    The actual maps are, the design is so old I assume it isn't anymore

This is from an article in 2006

"Permission must be sought and licensed by TfL by anyone wishing to reproduce the Tube map or produce it in an alternative format. Numerous requests are received every week seeking permission to publish alternative versions of the Tube map."

I'm sure it's loose enough though, as it refers to the specific tube map I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

loyatemu wrote: »
    several of the stations marked as having "no step free access" do actually have lifts or ramps - Greystones, Killiney and Kilcoole for a start.

Otherwise a nice map.

Why is there a need to highlight step-free access stations? I thought all PT in Dublin was wheelchair friendly...

AngryLips wrote: »
    Why is there a need to highlight step-free access stations? I thought all PT in Dublin was wheelchair friendly...

Some have access to one platform only, like Castleknock and I think Sutton. The map also goes out to outer areas that may have less focus on accessibility. A smaller network, entirely overground has made it a lot easier to roll out lifts and ramps than say London.

However, most of the markers for no step free access are inaccurate from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This video is a nice summary of the topic (includes the tube)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some have access to one platform only, like Castleknock and I think Sutton.
    Both Sutton platforms can be accessed but one only via the road and level-crossing, not within the station proper.

tricky D wrote: »
    Both Sutton platforms can be accessed but one only via the road and level-crossing, not within the station proper.

In that case the icon is wrong for it too.

Castleknock might be possible also but its a lengthy footpath across a park and an outward-opening gate so I wouldn't want to have to do navigate it with any mobility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

AngryLips wrote: »

No, you need to give a day's notice to get a train.
    Also did you ever try wheel off a ryanair plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats actually not too bad but including the 747 and 757 I would not agree with, especially when no other bus routes are on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

In that case the icon is wrong for it too.
    Things is that the 'solution' would not be up to standard specs so full icon might not be a good idea. Especially the section over the level crossing which has no protection being right beside traffic and is at road pavement grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

No, you need to give a day's notice to get a train.
    Also did you ever try wheel off a ryanair plane?

That’s not really the type of this that can be fixed through a map though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Should of included Limerick, Tralee, Westport & Ballina seen as every other Dublin route is shown. Agree the no step thing is wrong in a few places. The likes of Ashtown, Newbridge Killiney Greystones have lifts or ramps and Enfield only has the one platform in use which is accessed at ground level.

Advertisement