Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unexpected views of Dublin

• 12-06-2019 5:51pm

From my home near the top of Mountainview Road in Ranelagh, you can see the light from the Spire.

Is this some kind of record, from ground level (presumably close to sea level)?

Tell us (or better still, show us) some other unusual views of Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thinly veiled I live in the Posh part of Dublin thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Meh...

Ah here. No, that's not the point at all.

Anyway, I live on a very bad part of that road. Excuse me while I go and extinguish a burning car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah Sam, only to you as a blow in. Back in the 50s/60s, most of Ranelagh would not have been regarded as salubrious at all. 70-90s it was more bedsitland than flatland. For all you know the Tyrant might have to share a toilet with 5 or 6 other dwellings.

Not quite the transformation of Notting Hill since the 1980s (since the housing stock is not so grand) but not far off!

Marcusm wrote: »
    For all you know the Tyrant might have to share a toilet with 5 or 6 other dwellings.
    When I first heard-tell of it, it was the kind of place you went to purchase E tabs, or ladies of the night!

I wish I hadn't mentioned that now. All I'm interested in are interesting views of Dublin.

Here's another one: the rooftop of The Marker hotel is apparently unbeatable in terms of city centre viewpoints. True?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Coming into the city along the Clontarf coast road, before you hit Fairview, the Spire is waaay off to the left.
    In my head, it should be straight ahead.

There's a spot on the walking path into East Point where you can see, on one side Howth, looming over Clontarf; and on the other the Dublin Mountains.

And near Donaghmeade shopping centre, there's a spot where you have a clear view through to Howth.
    Probably only a matter of time before it's blocked off by apartments!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When I first heard-tell of it, it was the kind of place you went to purchase E tabs, or ladies of the night!

I wish I hadn't mentioned that now. All I'm interested in are interesting views of Dublin.

Here's another one: the rooftop of The Marker hotel is apparently unbeatable in terms of city centre viewpoints. True?

It’s pretty impressive all right but you wouldn’t hang around too long in cold weather.

Top floor of the old BOI HQ on Baggot Street had some great views.

Although neither of those are quite unexpected given you’re a few storeys up.

Has anyone been up the Daniel O’Connell Monument in Glasnevin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finglas I can see Roddy Doyle books come to life. Kill me now FML etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

From my back garden I can see Kippure and the Hellfire Club. And the lovely Dubbelin Mountains. Lucky to have an uninterrupted view as there are playing fields right outside the back gate.

When you can't see the mountains it's raining, and when you can see them, it'll rain any minute. I live close to the Liffey not in the foothills or anything.

Does that beat OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I can look in a straight line due east from a playground my kid uses in Ashtown all the way to Howth and see the planes coming in from that direction, and watch them all the way to the airport. In my mind Howth is much further north than Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The crumlin road coming into town, just after the hospital and the slight bends, you can see the straight road for about 2km ahead amd slightly downhill, with the ben of howth in the distance.

The bar on the top floor of the aloft hotel in the tenters, as good a view of st patricks cathedral as guiness, and doesnt cost 20quid.

And its in meath (almost louth), but the view south from glasallen hill (n the n2 between collon and slane) on a clear day is breathtaking - with binoculars there is 50k of rolling green, the city after and then the mountains behind

Turning right off Blackhorse Ave onto the North Circular and you get this amazing tree-lined view of the Wellington Monument in the park, or even just follow the NCR westwards, when you round that final bend onto the last straight bit of road up to the park, it's surprising and gorgeous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire you can see Three Rock mountain, the Aviva stadium, the Poolbeg chimneys, the convention centre,, the docks, the Spire (if you know exactly where to look), Dublin airport (both Terminal 2 and the new air traffic control tower), the ferries in and out of Dublin port, the mortello tower in Sutton and all of Howth, out to the Bailey lighthouse.

And of a summers evening, you can watch the sun set over the city.

retalivity wrote: »
    The bar on the top floor of the aloft hotel in the tenters, as good a view of st patricks cathedral as guiness, and doesnt cost 20quid.
    Do you have to be a guest to go up there?

The top of the museum building in Trinity is another one, apparently. Supposedly a bird's-eye view of the whole campus, it used to be quite easy to get access but I never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do you have to be a guest to go up there?

Nope, its an open bar. Think they have food as well

On the N11 inbound opposite the applegreen beside booterstown you can see the Metro hotel in Santry/Ballymun about 15kms away

Just to the left of the new Capital Dock development on Sir John Rogerson's Quay
    https://goo.gl/maps/WApVvFrFczRXDePJA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Great view from the roof of Trinity College, used to go up there to hide when I was employed there

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Museum Building??

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

From some of the taller buildings in Sandyford industrial estate there is a view out over the city, one of the interesting views is out across the city to towards the airport you can see planes coming in and out. I always use that water tower as a landmark to orientate my view. looking in the other direction of course you are looking at the boats coming in and out of Dublin and dun laoghaire etc.

the other nice view that is worth a little look is in the lift in Dundrum shopping centre. the one beside m and S/Penneys/Tesco. press the button for the fifth floor and you emerge up out of the shopping centre to lovely views looking out over a bit of the city. spectacular on a sunny day. I have seen it catch many people by surprise (they expected the lift to go down instead of up) and you can see real delight on their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

From either Belgard Hill or coming down from Kingswood into Ballymount you have a full view of the whole city and beyond, probably the best views that aren't from a mountain or top of a building. With Belgard Hill you also have a view over the Dublin mountains.

As part of a route on a long run I take that brings me into Meath I can clearly see the light on top of Kippure, over 30kms away. Impressive enough considering the bulk of west and south west Dublin is between the two, the mast is on the border with Wicklow, and Meath is flat as a pancake

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Museum Building??
    The Geology building in TCD

Even if you don't manage to dash to the top before the guards catch you, the exterior is worth looking at. None of the floral sculptures that surround the building are repeated even once. Each one is an original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

From Mount Anville Road or Mount Merrion, Dublin is laid out in front of you.

Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I studied in the Museum Building, never saw the view from the top but it's stunning inside as well. Has been used in many films and definitely worth a look, the door is usually open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The Geology building in TCD

Even if you don't manage to dash to the top before the guards catch you, the exterior is worth looking at. None of
    the floral sculptures that surround the building are repeated even once. Each one is an original.

The Geology Department is in the Museum building.

I used to work in BoI Baggot St, on the sixth floor. The views were just fantastic,.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Turning right off Blackhorse Ave onto the North Circular and you get this amazing tree-lined view of the Wellington Monument in the park, or even just follow the NCR westwards, when you round that final bend onto the last straight bit of road up to the park, it's surprising and gorgeous.

Ive always wondered about that view of the Wellington monument on NCR and if it came about by accident or by the design of some Georgian planner. Either way its a superb view

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Love this Thread. It's something I actively seek out. Love all these suggestions. One I haven't seen mentioned is near the magazine fort in Phoenix Park. You get a great view of the Dublin Skyline out towards the docks. Another is Deer park in Howth. Amazing for seeing Dublin Bay, Bull Island and the north coastline too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sugarman wrote: »
    Slightly better view from the Greenhills Rd at slip rd 'down the dip' before Lidl.

Haven't been down that way in a long time so can't remember what it's like, apart from the ****ty traffic.

AhhHere wrote: »
    Love this Thread. It's something I actively seek out. Love all these suggestions. One I haven't seen mentioned is near the magazine fort in Phoenix Park. You get a great view of the Dublin Skyline out towards the docks. Another is Deer park in Howth. Amazing for seeing Dublin Bay, Bull Island and the north coastline too

Similarly the grass area beside the Harbour in Skerries affords decent views of the Mourne Mountains/Carlingford Lough area, especially on a clear day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

My favourite bus stop is at Hanlon's Corner (Prussia Street) as you are heading into town. If you are sitting upstairs at the front of the bus and it's a clear day, you get a winderful view of the mountains far off but also of the red brick houses sweeping down into Stoneybatter. They look dwarfed and insignificant with the mountains behind and it makes the city seem much smaller somehow. A beautiful view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Larch Hill on the edge of the Dublin mountains.
    There's a field beside the main HQ building called the "Cub field". At night it has breath taking views of Dublin City lit up.

Not public access but like anything there's always a way by asking the right people.

Advertisement