Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Brand design for IrelandOffline

• 19-12-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Brief:
    To design a new image for IrelandOffline. The brief is fairly open, in that you can propose what you like. IrelandOffline is a lobbying group campaigning for flat-rate and broadband internet access for all that want it across Ireland. At the moment we have a snail in our logo, presumably depicting the snails pace at progress in this area, and the speed of which of most of rural Ireland connects. This new branding will be used across a few websites, in PDF downloads, and, potentially, in print media. Colour counts should be low (in case we do go to print), or at least degrade gracefully. The look should be modern, yet a bit more formal than the current. You'll be required to submit the image, details of the fonts & colours used, and transfer of ownership/copyright (PM me if that's an issue).

Reward:
    We're a voluntary group, so cash is limited. I'll sponsor a few quid, and I'm sure I could round up a hundred quid.. maybe more, but I'll commit to a hundred quid (even if I have to pay it myself!). So:
    • €100 cash
    • Your name/URL in the source of all web pages (across all sites).
    • A written reference one month after delivery & implementation
    • Permission to re-use for your own portfolio
    • A reward for helping a voluntary group of hardworking people that are making a difference

The successful candidate will be chosen in the second week in Jan. We'll be taking feedback on them all, and the committee will then decide on the final choice.

If you've any questions, please feel free to ask. If you have any suggestions on a better place to post, please let me know.

TIA
    .cg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

cgarvey wrote:
    stuff

Have ye tried Work ?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Have ye tried Work ?
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

CuLT wrote:
    ?

Was reffering to :
    cgarvey wrote:
    If you have any suggestions on a better place to post, please let me know.

Was reffering to :
    Hmm, I think most people looking for the digital artists of boards.ie look here first; I know I haven't checked Work for about a year until you posted that link :)

The other appropriate place would be FS Wanted Services, but honestly, it likely wouldn't recieve the appropriate attention if posted there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I might give it a shot over the xmas..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HolyCow

The company I work with Modus have been very impressed with the work your doing in this area and would like to give a dig out.

Do you have any reference logos/branding that you would say comes close to what your looking for in terms of target appeal and over all impression etc? Corporate, Youth, Tech?

HC
    http://internationalcowofmystery.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

We're deliberately not saying what we like, as it's subjective opinion without much base. Something between corporate (so that we don't look like a youth club to governement organisations) and consumer (so that upcoming consumer-focussed projects can still be served). By "consumer", I mean eye-catching, rememberable, but not complicated, or tacky (so probably a step up from your use of "Youth").

There is probably no happy medium between the two, in terms of a website layout, so the logo/branding would, ideally, fit in with a vibrant/consumer-focussed website as well as the more formal approach of our main website (although it won't be formal, per se).

We'll welcome all opinions/advice.

Finally, thanks for the offer! If you've any more questions, ask here, or PM me.

.cg

Something like this, I've not a lot of time today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

hey i think you irelandoffline guys have helped a lot, i've started a relatively new design co, and i'd like to give it a try, i'll pm you when i get a chance to give it a go.

HolyCow, Like the Ireland text/characteristics, a lot.. think I'd prefer to lose the snail altogether, but that's just me. Lastly, I think the plain 'Offline' looks like an after-thought or kinda "plonked" in there.. if you think you can build on that, please do.. otherwise I'll gladly put the current one forward to the committee for them to decide on. Thanks for the help.

heggie, ta muchly!

.cg

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    .. think I'd prefer to lose the snail altogether

Crap...that's what took the work! The "Ireland" is just a simple rough font, and yes the OffLine was tagged on, stuck for time! Think about it with the others and let me know what you want.

Also, is your site template/theme based?

HC

Site(s) will be template based yes.

We (I and the IoffL Committee) deliberately haven't expressed opinions on this, because we want advice on this, and to get others opinions first/beforehand. Besides, none of us are graphic/concept designers. If this is still too vague, we'll have to change our mind on that I guess, but we were hoping for a couple of ideas first.

.cg

Fair enough, let me know what you want me to do, contact me here: here I haven't worked out how to subscribe to threads yet!

HC

HolyCow wrote:
    I haven't worked out how to subscribe to threads yet!

Click on "Thread Tools -> Subscribe to Thread" dropdown at the top of the forum (note: not the top of the page).

ok, Cgarvey, I've send a pdf logotype to your personal site's email address, hope i'm on the right track to what you're looking for.

CuLT wrote:
    Click on "Thread Tools -> Subscribe to Thread" dropdown at the top of the forum (note: not the top of the page).

Grand

hey, has a decision been made?

Not yet .. next week, hopefully.

Ta

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I only just spotted this and had a crack for something to do.

ioffl5zn.png

Ta muchly, I'll put that with the rest for review next week!

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

damn im too freeking LATE.

FRIK !!!!!!!

Not yet, you ain't!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

When is the closing date for submissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hi,

Attached is my attempt.
    The "Ireland" text is dynamic and forward moving (representing our countrys economy and outlook), but it is quickly stopped in it's tracks and held back by the "Offline", indicating the hinderance it is causing.

Comes in colour (can vary) and b&w for sample.

I delibretly left out any graphic "feature" (snail etc..) as I feel the copy "Ireland Offline" is self-explanatory, and no one feature could totally encapsulate the concept of your organisation - it also helps with it's simplicity and to enhance the text flow idea.

Another one for your review anyway... :)

cosgrove80, Closing date is Tues Night / Wed morning (I can extend if needs be)

whiskeyman, many thanks for that indeed!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

one

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. They might need a bit of work before they are ready to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Pm sent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

so which one was picked ?

• Advertisement

Committee are still deciding.. will update thread when done!

Advertisement