Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your own personal crusade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Dognapper wrote: »
    I don’t let it consume everything to be fair , I know he did it , I believe it will all come out in the end.

I have grown up children your age, and the most important thing to me is that they be happy. I'm sure your Mam would want the very same for you - and no doubt most people reading this would want that for you too.

Take care, and look after yourself. Happiness will come, accept it when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

anewme wrote: »
    Shut down Ashton Dog Pound.

Evil evil place

Is that the place that was letting the new volunteers inject the dogs leading to deaths and sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

I'm on a neutering mission. The local area has so many wild cats. Costing me a fortune but worth it when you see how healthy and happy they are in their new homes.

Kattunge wrote: »
    I'm on a neutering mission. The local area has so many wild cats. Costing me a fortune but worth it when you see how healthy and happy they are in their new homes.

You buy them houses? Id say a fortune is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They are building a million hotel rooms right tis very moment at dublin port, with washing machines dishwashers and kitchens in each room. Best direct provision facilities in the world.
    And the mothers are getting a new pram every time they leave one on the bus

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    And the mothers are getting a new pram every time they leave one on the bus

Doesnt matter Germany will be sending a cheque for every buggy bought. Leo always delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

They are building a million hotel rooms right tis very moment at dublin port, with washing machines dishwashers and kitchens in each room. Best direct provision facilities in the world.

Forward planning....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

Personal crusade against fly tippers every ditch and bog in this country if ****ed with household waste and the general knackary of the Irish throwing their waste on the ground instead of a bin.
    When I am made emperor of all ireland I will commission new passenger ferries from European shipyards every year and all who are convicted of littering offences will be boarded onto it each 19th September. It will then steam to somewhere off the porcupine Bank where it will be sunk by the Irish navy. I will be be on my private yacht eating pringles and drinking club orange watching all the scummers drown like the dirty knacks they are while getting a blowie from Mary lou

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

beerguts wrote: »
    Personal crusade against fly tippers every ditch and bog in this country if ****ed with household waste and the general knackary of the Irish throwing their waste on the ground instead of a bin.
    When I am made emperor of all ireland I will commission new passenger ferries from European shipyards every year and all who are convicted of littering offences will be boarded onto it each 19th September. It will then steam to somewhere off the porcupine Bank where it will be sunk by the Irish navy. I will be be on my private yacht eating pringles and drinking club orange watching all the scummers drown like the dirty knacks they are while getting a blowie from Mary lou

I would like to nominate myself as deputy emperor.

Had a few personal crusades.

Best one was organising a trade union meeting, looking for sign-ups, in a financial institution that didn't have official union representation. Saw recently that they are in talks with their union about various settlements, and felt a little glad. Took a lot of flack for that at the time.

Worst one was probably when I dug "Kony 2012" into a tree at home – still get " :D " messages about it. Will probably never live that one down, but I still think it was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

anewme wrote: »
    Shut down Ashton Dog Pound.

Evil evil place

Personal crusades have some success. They've lost the SDCC contract.

Promotion of the Anti-rugby league

Make vanilla coke available everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Litter along my local roads
    I fcukin hate it

If i find that fcuker who keeps throwing lucozade bottles and the remains of a supermacs snackbox out the window at the same spot every few nights I cannot be held accountable for what I will do

I have none. My life is busy enough without needing to champion the underdog or promote a cause or shout about an injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The world needs people brave enough to be whistle blowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was involved (with others) in the planning of our company moving offices, and getting the new office kitted out. Contractors did a great job of most things, but they didn't set up the Zip tap in the kitchen. We'd paid good money for it, and as a tea drinker, it was more important to me than the outrageously expensive coffee machine. I hounded the contractors to come back and finish the job. Unmerciful hounding.

Due to my personal crusade on the matter, they eventually came back and did it. The Zip tap was finally commissioned on the 11th of March last year. A personal triumph, which I proudly communicated to the entire workforce.

The office closed due to Covid 19 on the 12th, with the entire staff working from home ever since. The fully functional Zip tap completely unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Great story! :)

I have a few crusades at varying stages of life.

One of my more successful ones is to rid the walks around Howth of the dreaded Ragworth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobaea_vulgaris

I walk around Howth a lot, it’s a fantastic place. I noticed Ragworth starting to take hold about six years ago and, as I was taught by my Dad, a part-time farmer, to pull one when ever you passed it, did so. The only way to get rid of the weed is to pull it, and it’s primary roots, out.

It’s a continuous task but I think I’ve got it under control.

I also collect the plastic bottles, coffee cups/lids, sweet wrappers and poo bags left by scum. I don’t think that battle will ever end. Some people are just so self-centred and have no consideration for anyone else or their surroundings. It really does make me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Currently have one going on with my HOA community manager, who wants us all to replace our 40-year old windows with aluminum frames despite the fact that vinyl and fiberglass frames are now the industry standard and aluminum is more expensive and only one vendor in the city is willing to do them since they don't meet current California code (conveniently this person is a friend of the community manager). And there's nothing architecturally significant about our condominiums that would merit using outdated materials.

Over the last month, I've learned more about windows than I ever imagined or wanted to know. But I will not pay $5k to replace three windows using material that's not in compliance with state laws & recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Only everyday lol.

But i mean things that are important to me that no one else cares about lol!

Joan of my personal ark!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Trying a “greening” plan along a little section of road using unorthodox methods.

I have had little success. I heard that supermacs snack boxes when left with lucozade bottles rot they create incredible compost for growing.

So far some *** keeps picking them up and ruining my project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

To keep the Shinners away from Government and to bring back full size Curly Wurlys. No preference on the order of importance

Have you, or have you ever had your own personal crusade?

Did you love( or hate) a politician so much you got too invested in their cause.

Did you get on the abortion battle?

I would say my heavy involvement "on the ground" for the recent referendums were my last real "crusades". I have not really had one since. Which is probably a good thing as on top of all my hobbies I was totally burning myself out and even had one spectacular nervous breakdown which I thankfully recovered quickly from.

But I haven't found anything I am all that emotionally invested in. I have totally given up on climate change issues and become depressed by the actual effects of some of the supposed "Achievements" in the field.

I think the closest thing I have now - though covid seriously curtailed it - is the little "Jedi Acadamy" I set up for some local problem kids which turned them around from absolute gouriers to really genuinely nice people. All under the guise of an "actual" Jedi curriculum.

But thats more a project than a crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Crusading against stupidity and ignorance for decades, but gave up since I finally understood that stupidity and ignorance is a pandemic spread and institutionalised by governments and civil services.

I keep on fighting in every day life (ignorant people I have to deal with, stupid paper-pushers, general dickheads) but I'm feeling like Don Quixote fighting windmills.

I try to be tolerant as far as possible, but tolerating stupidity and ignorance is damn hard work.

I have a few crusades at varying stages of life.

One of my more successful ones is to rid the walks around Howth of the dreaded Ragworth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobaea_vulgaris

I walk around Howth a lot, it’s a fantastic place. I noticed Ragworth starting to take hold about six years ago and, as I was taught by my Dad, a part-time farmer, to pull one when ever you passed it, did so. The only way to get rid of the weed is to pull it, and it’s primary roots, out.

It’s a continuous task but I think I’ve got it under control.
    That's great. I don't know if this is true, but we were told as kids that ragwort is actually illegal, so you have to pull it when you see it. The hours we spent as kids, bent-double from pulling ragwort, to keep our parents out of jail. Well done on your crusade, it's an admirable one that may well save an animal's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I probably harp on about addiction and recovery a bit because, well, I'm in recovery. And I met so many wonderful people along the way, lots of whom are still trapped in addiction. I've also lost some really good friends who died in addiction, most at a really young age, including many young mums.

I'm also a big supporter of harm reduction (e.g. maintenance programs, needle exchanges), which can be kinda controversial ... Not everyone is ready for recovery, sometimes the best you can do is help keep them alive until they're ready and willing to give recovery a go.

That's great. I don't know if this is true, but we were told as kids that ragwort is actually illegal, so you have to pull it when you see it. The hours we spent as kids, bent-double from pulling ragwort, to keep our parents out of jail. Well done on your crusade, it's an admirable one that may well save an animal's life.

Pulling on a stinking willie might seem like a good idea, but it’s actually been found to be one of the best providers of nectar for pollinators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is that one not an “irritant”? Gives you blisters or some such?

The tide is turning…

Pulling on a stinking willie might seem like a good idea, but it’s actually been found to be one of the best providers of nectar for pollinators.
    Is that true? It's hardly worse than leaving it there, blowing in the wind for a whole summer?

I know you're supposed to immediately stuff it into a bag, not dangle it around.
    Is that one not an “irritant”? Gives you blisters or some such?
    Haven't tasted it myself, but sometimes cattle and horses will accidentally eat it if the flower is chopped, and it's toxic to the liver, and not curable. Or so the warning goes.

You might be thinking of hog weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Elon Musk. There's something about fawning over a multi billionaire that just irks me. It almost feels as if I have a personal vendetta against the man which might be more bizarre than the fanboys who idolise him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I also support a hedgehog rescue. Hedgehog Rescue Dublin on Facebook, if anyone wants to get involved. So many rescues out there looking out for bigger animals, which is great, but hedghogs are seen as pests and often ignored. Big supporter of the underdog I am!! (Or underhog, if you will!!)

Advertisement