Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Street trees map of Irish cities from Copernicus.

It's easy to pick out the leafier suburbs in south Dublin, Clontarf, Howth etc. The lack of a park in the north inner city is obvious. Aside from the inner city, there's a dearth of trees in places like Ballymun, Crumlin and Ballyfermot.

Dublin
    a6dToWo.png

Cork
    QTUjQr2.png

Limerick
    samNzKK.png

Galway
    7NxpCvj.png

Waterford
    3bQuuIK.png

https://land.copernicus.eu/local/urban-atlas/street-tree-layer-stl-2018?tab=mapview

"It includes contiguous rows or a patches of trees covering 500 m² or more and with a minimum width of 10 metres". So individual trees are not counted. Rows of trees along roads, groups of trees in parks, woods etc. are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I grew up in Ballyfermot and all of roads east of Kylemore Road were tree-lined with fairly mature trees planted when the place was built in the 40s, but when the Corpo built new footpaths around 1996, ie. took out the old tarmac-edged paths for safety reasons and they killed a lot of the trees in the process.

The young saplings they put in to replace them never really took hold.

They also took out the bushes and most of the trees that bordered the edges of Markievicz Park to reduce the anti-social behaviour therein.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

South American ancestry composition according to 23andme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭yagan

Das Reich wrote: »
    South American ancestry composition according to 23andme.
    Fascinating, but I'd imagine there's less inclination for amerindians to take a DNA search, so I'd imagine it's mostly those who know they've got european ancestors.

Chile is interesting in that when I was there it seemed a lot more european than amerindian, but maybe it just shows how more blended it is compared to Bolivia where there's still a very clear societal divide between those of andean and spanish heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I grew up in Ballyfermot and all of roads east of Kylemore Road were tree-lined with fairly mature trees planted when the place was built in the 40s, but when the Corpo built new footpaths around 1996, ie. took out the old tarmac-edged paths for safety reasons and they killed a lot of the trees in the process.

The young saplings they put in to replace them never really took hold.

They also took out the bushes and most of the trees that bordered the edges of Markievicz Park to reduce the anti-social behaviour therein.

Yep, this is the difference between council estates and leafy suburbs, the corpo (and the bus lane brigade now) are forever chopping down trees whenever they're inconvenient to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No price for Ireland for some reason - maybe we're in the UK?

World-Beer-Index-2021-Average-Price-of-a-Beer-FullWidth.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

01_Most-Popular-Consumer-Brand-in-Every-Country_World.png

China-Population-Compared-2-3.jpg

Last one today!

Greenest-Countries-in-the-World-Main-Image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Gaspode wrote: »
    No price for Ireland for some reason - maybe we're in the UK?

Any dacent Irishman wouldn't be drinking 330ml bottles of beer anyway!! ;)

• Advertisement

Any dacent Irishman wouldn't be drinking 330ml bottles of beer anyway!! ;)

Given your username I will accept that as truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That beer map is a crock of sh1te, a bottle of beer was at least $5 in Canada when I lived there 8-10 years ago, and was more expensive in the big cities of Vancouver and Toronto. Its undoubtedly gotten more expensive since.
    A bottle of Chang in thailand is anywhere between 40-100baht, which is less than $3
    And I very much doubt beer in China is more expensive than Japan or the UK, Unless they are only counting parts of Shanghai.

retalivity wrote: »
    That beer map is a crock of sh1te, a bottle of beer was at least $5 in Canada when I lived there 8-10 years ago, and was more expensive in the big cities of Vancouver and Toronto. Its undoubtedly gotten more expensive since.
    A bottle of Chang in thailand is anywhere between 40-100baht, which is less than $3
    And I very much doubt beer in China is more expensive than Japan or the UK, Unless they are only counting parts of Shanghai.

Good luck getting bear in Denmark for that price. Map done up by pissheads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ditto Singapore. Think I paid about €11 for a pint back in 2012. Sin taxes make it notoriously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

retalivity wrote: »

Beijing (the city surveyed) is not a cheap city any more. If you're buying foreign label beer, that price is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

Good luck getting bear in Denmark for that price.

Bears aren't available in the wild in Denmark, so I'm sure that drives up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yurt! wrote: »
    Beijing (the city surveyed) is not a cheap city any more. If you're buying foreign label beer, that price is about right.
    And if you're buying Tsingdao or Yanjing, good German-style beers (thanks colonialism), the price is about 3x too much.

The prices shown are not 'actual' prices, they are a per capita average based on their surveys & WHO data.

How does per capita alcohol consumption affect the average price of a pint?

A beer in a supermarket or hotel lobby (which is what they base it off, though they'll have wildly different prices) is what it is. How much I drink is irrelevant.

If they're trying to get a weighted average based on how much of each people are buying, then they're way overthinking their methodology tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Gaspode wrote: »
    01_Most-Popular-Consumer-Brand-in-Every-Country_World.png

It all makes sense now, Netflix and Chile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

^^ Morto for all the countries doing Google searches for "Google".

Dunno; could be people googling to see what data google keeps on you for example

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Google now claims that 60% of searches are answered in queries. Google "Man United Score", and it'll return you the score in the current/recent game, hence no clickthrough to another site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Google now claims that 60% of searches are answered in queries. Google "Man United Score", and it'll return you the score in the current/recent game, hence no clickthrough to another site.

I was joking with my comment, but the map specifically says that they're looking at "the number of Google searches for each brand", not the amount that the brand's site is used. Under the criteria of the map, your example would count towards Manchester United's brand popularity, not Google's, even if it didn't result in actually visiting a Man United site. Whatever way you cut it, there's clearly a lot of people in a lot of countries putting the word "Google" into their Google search queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good luck getting bear in Denmark for that price. Map done up by pissheads.

Beer in supermarkets in Denmark are a lot cheaper than the quoted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Beer in supermarkets in Denmark are a lot cheaper than the quoted price.
    YEah I was there for the Ireland match a few years back and it wasn't outrageous. Ask for a foreign brand and it'll be a E7 pint. Ask for local beer (Tuborg, or carlsberg) and its E4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I think the people who are interested in this thread would enjoy the Map Men series on YouTube by Jay Foreman. It is very interesting (the type of stuff you'd hear about on QI) and delivered with incredibly dry British humour. Some of the ads at the end are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfxy4_sBQdxy3A2lvl-y3qWTeJEbC_QCp

Jay's other videos are also worth a watch too about other topics such as politics and London geography.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I see that the most popular dog breed here in Ireland is the Golden Retreiver. Wonderful dog - as a family growing up we had one for 14 years. She had two litters of pups and was such a good, gentle dog. :)

I also see the most popular breed in Gibraltar is the Rottweiler. Seige mentality of the die-hard subjects of Blighty?

Actually, looking at those maps again I see the Rottweiler is very popular in a depressingly large number of countries. :( Tells you a lot about the mentality of the people there IMO. As for the countries that favour the extremely dangerous Cane Corso - best avoided in my future travel plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hurrache wrote: »

Cockapoo/Cavapoo/Labradoodle etc aren’t dog breeds yet. They’re cross breeds.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement