Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Anyone able to recommend a place that might supply cedar or acacia planed timber for an outdoor furniture project. Ideally in Dublin/North Leinster.

Need a variety from 2x1 up to 4x4 in 8ft or 16ft lengths. Most googling gives me places only of use if you're building a deck.

https://www.goodwins.ie/categories.html?filter_set%5B%5D=20,2896

Goodwins have a good selection of cedar.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

wartotojas wrote: »
    thanks waterboy15, I was able to find same type holders suitable for 150mm (6") posts. may end up using them. just need to find posts now :)

Hi wartotjas would you please let me know where you have found these holders thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Anybody know where I'd get 4x4 posts with length of 10ft or over? Looking for some to create a pavilion type structure with a roof for an outside dining/lounging area, for our fabulous summer that's coming . . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Anybody know where I'd get 4x4 posts with length of 10ft or over? Looking for some to create a pavilion type structure with a roof for an outside dining/lounging area, for our fabulous summer that's coming . . . :rolleyes:

Hi Guru,
    I'll saw those for you, send me a pm for details.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Hello,

Has any any experience in using red deal for joinery furniture? I feel I have gone as far as I can practicing on white deal/ spruce from builders merchants. I mostly use hand tools as I like the peace involved.
    I can't justify hardwood prices, especially at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

I suggest going to the merchant and selecting what you want. Some years ago, I purchased over the phone and got stuff with serious "shakes" in it. You might be surprised at the price of Sapele from timber yard, or ... for Irish hardwood, give Peter a call on 0894307187. He runs a sawmill a bit north of Ashbourne and collects trees from all over the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Halycon wrote: »
    Hello,

Has any any experience in using red deal for joinery furniture? I feel I have gone as far as I can practicing on white deal/ spruce from builders merchants. I mostly use hand tools as I like the peace involved.

Good quality red deal is fine for joinery, if you are on a budget.
    Just make sure for external joinery you properly deal with the best protection
    that suits your product.

Proper attention to stains and external weather protective coats will ensure you get the maximum time out of the timber. It wont last forever , but by the time it gives out, you might be able to afford better material, and you will have honed your skills:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hello,

Red deal is Scots pine and quite hard to find. It was traditionally used for sash windows and garage doors.
    The DIY stores usually stock Southern Yellow Pine which looks like it but Eastern White pine is nicer if you can find it. If there is one machine you might consider it's a second hand planer thicknesser which will liberate you from having to buy pre dimensioned stock
    The current trend is to use 18 mm Baltic ply to make modern furniture - great stuff but you need the tools and space to handle it.

Thanks All,
    I am in west Cork so very limited in selection for timber providers. A planer thicknesser would be handy, but it needs space and a chip collector. The noise of it would be a bit of a problem as I am only doing stuff in the evenings after 8 o clock, after kids bedtime. I rarely get a Saturday to do anything.

Not a fan of the Baltic ply look. Just a personal taste!
    I will see if the local builders providers has eastern white pine.

Abbey woods, if you can get to Cork city. I doubt that anyone other than a dedicated timber yard would have anything of interest to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hello,

You should be able to get 8'/4' sheets of laminated red deal, it comes in 15, 18, 25 and 38 mm thickness, what part of the country are you in.

You should be able to get 8'/4' sheets of laminated red deal, it comes in 15, 18, 25 and 38 mm thickness, what part of the country are you in.
    I have never come across Red Deal in ply. I do use Birch ply quite a bit though. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

sbkenn wrote: »
    I have never come across Red Deal in ply. I do use Birch ply quite a bit though. Lovely stuff.

It's not plywood, it's strips of red deal stuck together, to form a large sheet

I think I will try a bit of poplar from Strahan timber, as they do an online delivery service. When I am a bit more flush I will try Abbey woods.

sbkenn wrote: »
    Abbey woods, if you can get to Cork city. I doubt that anyone other than a dedicated timber yard would have anything of interest to you.

Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.

Strahan are decent to deal with, they supply wood turning stuff as well so they would have no issue dealing with hobbyists in my experience. I have bought PAO (planed all over) oak & walnut from them several times, never any issue. With covid, you cannot choose your own boards, but they have a collection service which useful as the max length their courier service does is 600mm; I have gotten 2.4M/8ft from them. Not sure what their prices are like now, I got a planer some time back so going to get rough sawn boards for my next build.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
    Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
    Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

abbeywood.ie iirc :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

abbeywood.ie iirc :)

Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.
    Okay,
    I lived close enough to them and I just dropped in, I always found them easy to deal with, there will be pieces of board lying around, else try your local woodworking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?
    IIRC the lads here are using baltic ply, you might need runners screwed and glued if the span is too wide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

Hi folks, OH has started cold smoking, just did a salmon and it turned out very well, problem is that we used up the bit of oak sawdust that came with the little maze smoker; thought this might be a good place to ask where to source some untreated oak / hickory / apple / cherry / maple sawdust? Couple of lbs would prob be more than enough for the rest of the year.

Cheers for all pointers.

josip wrote: »
    I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
    Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
    Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?

Any joinery and you will pick that up for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Nuphor

I’ve been looking to purchase some hardwood (walnut) in the south east area. Mcmahons did stock but their Waterford location seems to be closed (past by on Monday). Any other providers folks would recommend in the general south east? Happy to travel a bit, so KK, Wexford or Waterford.

Nuphor wrote: »
    I’ve been looking to purchase some hardwood (walnut) in the south east area. Mcmahons did stock but their Waterford location seems to be closed (past by on Monday). Any other providers folks would recommend in the general south east? Happy to travel a bit, so KK, Wexford or Waterford.

Update: McMahons still open, must’ve caught them at a bad time! Open 8-5 Mon-Thurs, 8-4 on Fridays. Super helpful staff as well, picked up some walnut

Update: McMahons still open, must’ve caught them at a bad time! Open 8-5 Mon-Thurs, 8-4 on Fridays. Super helpful staff as well, picked up some walnut

Nice one. What price per cube?

kadman wrote: »
    Nice one. What price per cube?

Pricey, but expected as much: ~€75 cubic foot ex-vat for black walnut.

Pricey, but expected as much: ~€75 cubic foot ex-vat for black walnut.

Ouch........sounds like robbery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am looking for an appreciative woodworker who might have a use for some old wood salvaged from a brass bed whose provenance can be dated to at least 1918. Four pieces were used to support the old spring base and look like pine (pitch pine?) or maybe cedar? The overall measurements are 190 x 80 x 50 mm (two) and 140 x 80 x 50 mm (two). The larger pieces are planed and both have some indentations to take bolt etc. They are located in south Dublin. PM please if any interest, maybe with email or contact details.

Post edited by Garlinge on

Advertisement