Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glam-camping (Single Room Structure).

• 28-05-2012 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Have any of you guys came across these single room structures, normally constructed in timber which contain bed and stove with room for a small fridge. Instead of erecting a tent one of these single room structures are available to rent.

I cannot seem to find any building regulations which specifically refer to them. A client of ours is interested in importing some from Scotland but wants to make sure that whatever he imports or decides to build himself will comply with BRegs if they exist for such structures.

Thanks in advance.

Room is about 2.8m wide by 4.0m long.

If you click on the link and scroll down to Shepards Huts you will get the idea.
    http://boutiquecamping.ie/our-accommodation/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Would there be much demand for these in Ireland? Myself and my neighbor are both carpenters and were thinking of building something like these after seeing them on the tv programme Grand Designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

woodturner wrote: »
    Would there be much demand for these in Ireland? Myself and my neighbor are both carpenters and were thinking of building something like these after seeing them on the tv programme Grand Designs.

That TV show with hotelier francis Brennan and his brother did an episiode at a campsite where they expanded into 'glamping' so there is someone doing it already. You could try to find out how things are going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

i have been looking into this for awhile.

the link that the OP posted are yurts which are a temporary structure, they have no permanent foundation as such so they would be exempt.

as for wooden structures or anything fixed to the ground each county would have their own planning laws on this. i was looking at getting a wooden cabin with a living area, small toilet, and small kitchen area, the bedroom would be in the loft and it was just within the size for exemption. i think its 5m X5m or something like that.

i know in the UK were they couldn't get planning permission they built them on a steal frame with wheels and sunk them into the ground

here is a link ye might find interesting

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces/4od

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Podgers wrote: »
    i have been looking into this for awhile.

the link that the OP posted are yurts which are a temporary structure, they have no permanent foundation as such so they would be exempt.

as for wooden structures or anything fixed to the ground each county would have their own planning laws on this. i was looking at getting a wooden cabin with a living area, small toilet, and small kitchen area, the bedroom would be in the loft and it was just within the size for exemption. i think its 5m X5m or something like that.

i know in the UK were they couldn't get planning permission they built them on a steal frame with wheels and sunk them into the ground

here is a link ye might find interesting

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces/4od

The planning laws are not "local", but national. Each county may have a more restrictive use per specific area, eg scenic, coastal etc..

If the unit is for habitational use, it requires permission. Also, consider if it is green field or the like, associated services are most definitely planning dependent, sewage disposal, traffic, actual land usage etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Podgers wrote: »

just to enforce what is said above... the part ive bolded is often quoted when arguing exemption, but is entirely incorrect. There is NO SUCH exemption that mentions anything about permenent foundations etc.

There is exemptions regarding where caravans etc to be stored, but once they become usable they incur planning somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,797 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What he said ^

Advertisement