Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air Traffic Controller

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I got a letter of doom too :(! Maybe having a good career already is not such a good thing for the IAA!

What kind of areas are other people in who have been turned down & accepted? I am a Senior Manager with an investsment bank!

TomC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

AlanD wrote: »
    It'd be unlikely that I would go again. Would they be likely to advertise again next year? Perhaps not. They said there might even be 48 places for this selection as opposed to 24 so that could cover them for a while.

I'm 31 now and was totally ready for the move. Really glad I applied cos I learned a lot about myself and what I want to achieve. My current career isn't satisfying me and ATCing was fitting in to that desire perfectly. Wife and I had been saving like crazy too since I applied since I would be taking a massive pay cut to do the course. Not a bad thing, cos now we're rich! haha....

I don't think I will hang around to wait for ATCing to come up again. It could mean I'd be almost 35 when I'd be qualified, it's only a year more, but it's too long in my books.

I view all of this positively though, the next thing will come along may suit me better. Whatever reason they had for not selecting me is fine with me. I'm moving on :)

count yourself lucky you didnt get in . Work in that organisation (atc)myself and most guys in there would kill to get out . Money is great but you have no quality of life with the shift we do . The shine goes off the job after a few years and it is glorified factory work with stress and a bit of fear thrown in. My advice to anyone applying is talk to operational controllers in Dublin or Shannon to get the real picture. Dont mean to be negative but come in with your eyes open.You can get great satisfaction from the actual job at times but decide do you want be on shift until you are 60 years of age.Nights and weekend work can be a killer on your health and your social life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭syberspud

most guys in there would kill to get out

Jaysus...that sounds a bit disturbing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 everreadyeddy

Yep just got the letter of doom this morning. I knew very well as soon as got a letter in the post..Was not prepared for any math questions in the interview so thats where was caught out. A few time, speed, distance questions before I went in and think I might have been prepared. Oh well will have to stick at the job I hate for a while longer. Congrats to those who got it...best of luck in the final!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

in control wrote: »
    count yourself lucky you didnt get in . Work in that organisation (atc)myself and most guys in there would kill to get out . Money is great but you have no quality of life with the shift we do . The shine goes off the job after a few years and it is glorified factory work with stress and a bit of fear thrown in. My advice to anyone applying is talk to operational controllers in Dublin or Shannon to get the real picture. Dont mean to be negative but come in with your eyes open.You can get great satisfaction from the actual job at times but decide do you want be on shift until you are 60 years of age.Nights and weekend work can be a killer on your health and your social life .

That, and the management are the biggest pile of useless p***** your ever gonna meet :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

That, and the management are the biggest pile of useless p***** your ever gonna meet :mad:

I would recommend that the thread not descend to this level. Every company everywhere will have people who think their management is useless.

Opinions on your life as a controller I'm sure would be most welcome to those still left in the race (not me :( ). Remember, many of these folks really want to become controllers regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

What sort of math questions did they ask?

AlanD wrote: »
    I would recommend that the thread not descend to this level. Every company everywhere will have people who think their management is useless.

Opinions on your life as a controller I'm sure would be most welcome to those still left in the race (not me :( ). Remember, many of these folks really want to become controllers regardless.

Alan I am sure you are dissapointed in getting knocked out at this stage of the game and i am not saying this is a bad profession. The job itself has a lot of satisfaction but it is by no means easy . The training is very tough and there is no guarantee of sucess. As some one who has worked in this business for a fair while i have seen the best of people come in full of hope to become disheartened after a few years on operations. For as long as i can remember it impossible to get casual leave even for christenings, communions etc and you depend on the goodwill of your colleagues to do a duty swap to help you out . Most controllers are very decent people with a great work ethic and are highly professional people but we seem to go for very motivated people who by nature are very ambitious and who find there are few outlets to display that ambition beyond operational work . The salary is excellent by Irish standards but it can become golden handcuffs that can keep people there even if they want to move on. Again best of luck to everyone that has got to final selection but as i say come in with the full picture to avoid dissapointment down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I didn't get through, although I was surprised to even get an interview tbh, since I'm 19, haven't finished my degree and stuffed up a section of the aptitude test!

I was kicking myself after the interview, I really could have answered some of the question better, flew through the maths bit though, the question at the end (how far does it travel in 5mins at 480mph) was the only one that took me some time to answer.

At least when this comes around again I'll be much for suitable for the position, and I'll have the experience of this process.

I'm really surprised at what "in control" is saying, I talked to a retired air traffic controller a good bit, and he absolutely loved every minute of it. He thoroughly recommended it as a career.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone still in the running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 John Cusack

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now. Some interesting opinions!!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be called back for the final interview. I hadn't really been taking it too seriously up to now. However now I feel I should really give it a lash to try and get the job.

So, what I really want to know is what format the final interview will take. Will there be alot of technical questions or will it just be a more indepth version of the first interview, with more maths questions etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Has anyone who has made it though to the final interview been given an exact interview date/time yet? Because I havent been given one. Im also wondering what the next interview will cover which hasnt been covered before.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

:D As soon as I wrote the last post I got a call from the IAA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Neo# wrote: »
    :D As soon as I wrote the last post I got a call from the IAA.

They must read Boards....:)

Apparently there's going to be no mathsy calculations - it's just gonna be pure waffle! My interview is on the 26th - ****ting it is an understatement since I reckon the calibre of the candidates is very high at this stage and like a previous poster said I really haven't been taking it seriously up until now...they called back 100 so a 1 in 4 shot at a dream job ain't bad I guess. May the force be with you all anyway...and hopefully I'll even get to meet some of you in person on our team building adventure weekend jazz! :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As someone who works in aviation I am very impressed by how ruthless the IAA have been in cutting the numbers down so quickly. I would assume the final interview would concern you as a person. Up to now you have shown your ability to do the job and solve the problems. Now its up to them to decide whether you have the head for the job in terms of work patterns, lifestyle, pyscology, interaction with others etc.

I know that EI when they had their cadet prgram had a psycological assessment of all promising candidates so I would expect a similar aim from the IAA.

On a personal note I received the "thanks for trying" letter after the first interview. I was dissappointed but enjoyed the process. It also allowed me to have a bit more trust in the people who are in charge of my life everyday that I go to work. Good luck to ye in the final interview and when you eventually get to sit and use that radio,be nice to the Shamrocks (LHR control calls us 'chancers'!!) We do like to return the favour if ATC staff are onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Just out of curiosity Bramble, would you have taken the job if you got it? I would have thought that flight crew for Aer Lingus would be a pretty cushy number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catt123

Got my letter a day after everyone else-was getting really worried. Got through to the next round and have a time set for the 4th Dec. As far as I was told it's just a 'getting to know you' interview. Not sure if the fact that you have a good job or not affects your standing in the competition. I'm a PhD student with less than 10 months left to go until I qualify. If I get the job I'll have to leave my PhD (and three years of work). It was something that they were concerned about ie. they asked if I was willing to leave. I assured them that if I got this job, I would be ready to start immediately. I've just been waiting around trying to pass the time.

I'm a PhD student with less than 10 months left to go until I qualify.

:eek: Wow, that's a massive sacrifice...but it will only stand you in good steed for the interview. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blake_jl

I disagree with some of the above.

I am a controller also. Different company, different country but It's not ALL bad.

Here we have some control over our career. Not everyone has to be stuck in a centre. I am a Tower streamed controller and it's great.

At my Tower

1. No doggos
    2. Stress? Ftttt whatever. The only stress in this job as far as I am concerned is training. Do the same thing every day and it's like riding a bike.
    3. Yeah we work weekends but we also get days off during the week for that and extra annual leave.

Now, I'm not saying I'm working in the hardest ATC environment on earth, but have worked at the busiest aerodrome in the Southern Hemisphere 300,000+ movements a year and it's not all that bad and like you said, it's good money.

Don't fill these people with negative thoughts from the start. If these people you say are dying to get out then they should find a new job. No one is holding a gun to their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

catt123 wrote: »
    I'm a PhD student with less than 10 months left to go until I qualify. If I get the job I'll have to leave my PhD (and three years of work).

:eek: Madness, i would finish my studies after so much work. But if this is what you truely want to do, best of luck with the final interview but make sure you make the right decision!

blake_jl wrote: »
    I disagree with some of the above.

I am a controller also. Different company, different country but It's not ALL bad.

Here we have some control over our career. Not everyone has to be stuck in a centre. I am a Tower streamed controller and it's great.

At my Tower

1. No doggos
    2. Stress? Ftttt whatever. The only stress in this job as far as I am concerned is training. Do the same thing every day and it's like riding a bike.
    3. Yeah we work weekends but we also get days off during the week for that and extra annual leave.

Now, I'm not saying I'm working in the hardest ATC environment on earth, but have worked at the busiest aerodrome in the Southern Hemisphere 300,000+ movements a year and it's not all that bad and like you said, it's good money.

Don't fill these people with negative thoughts from the start. If these people you say are dying to get out then they should find a new job. No one is holding a gun to their head.

Yeah . Take your point. Working in the Tower is great . I have had lots of good times in atc and the work itself is mostly good. Working in Irish ATC you do not control your career and all the new entrants will go to Shannon Hi Level as that is the area that needs the most controllers. What I am saying is the shift we do is brutal on your system and you can work five weeks without a weekend off. The environment is very busy all year round and it impossible to get time off when you need it . These are the facts plain and simple . We are starved of staff and will welcome all new entrants but all they will do is plug the gap left by retiring staff . As regards stress yes there is stress in atc . Try having an incident and see how that feels. We dont have critical incident stress management councillors for nothing. As regards walking away you try walking away from €100000 plus per annum. Still get a good feeling when the job goes well but its hard to watch lads in their late 50s to 60 doing 11 hour night duties where you are busy most of the time. There is no early retirement for controllers. Bear all this in mind and come in prepared .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blake_jl

Working in Irish ATC you do not control your career and all the new entrants will go to Shannon Hi Level as that is the area that needs the most controllers.
    This is the same with our company. It's just the way it is I guess. Surely there must be some kind of career progression management in place that people can strive for.
    What I am saying is the shift we do is brutal on your system and you can work five weeks without a weekend off.
    Agreed, shift work is brutal. Surely you must have to get time off during the week though and sufficient time between shifts. If not then your company is a disaster waiting to happen.
    The environment is very busy all year round and it impossible to get time off when you need it .
    Understood. This does suck but Is common in the industry. It's still better than a lot of business owners who work 7 days a week, all year round and make half as much money. Anyone applying for the job does need to be aware of this. If you want lots of holidays become a school teacher.
    We are starved of staff and will welcome all new entrants but all they will do is plug the gap left by retiring staff.
    We have the same problem in our company. In our case this could have been avoided though better management. Don't even get me started on that topic.
    As regards stress yes there is stress in atc. Try having an incident and see how that feels.
    Try watching a PA34 lose an engine on takeoff and turn into the dead engine. You know what happens next. Call me cold but It doesn't get to me. Yes it is stressful at the time only due to increased workload. I have never been stood down for a breakdown of sep. though. All I care about is that I get it right and my licence is safe. The above example is pilot error. Don't turn into the dead engine. Not controller error. This is how I think.
    As regards walking away you try walking away from €100000 plus per annum.
    That was exactly my point. It's great money. There are plenty of easier jobs out there. They pay squat. But if people hate the job that much then maybe they should be doing something easier.

blake_jl wrote: »
    This is the same with our company. It's just the way it is I guess. Surely there must be some kind of career progression management in place that people can strive for.

Agreed, shift work is brutal. Surely you must have to get time off during the week though and sufficient time between shifts. If not then your company is a disaster waiting to happen.

Understood. This does suck but Is common in the industry. It's still better than a lot of business owners who work 7 days a week, all year round and make half as much money. Anyone applying for the job does need to be aware of this. If you want lots of holidays become a school teacher.

We have the same problem in our company. In our case this could have been avoided though better management. Don't even get me started on that topic.

Try watching a PA34 lose an engine on takeoff and turn into the dead engine. You know what happens next. Call me cold but It doesn't get to me. Yes it is stressful at the time only due to increased workload. I have never been stood down for a breakdown of sep. though. All I care about is that I get it right and my licence is safe. The above example is pilot error. Don't turn into the dead engine. Not controller error. This is how I think.

That was exactly my point. It's great money. There are plenty of easier jobs out there. They pay squat. But if people hate the job that much then maybe they should be doing something easier.

Have to say i agree with everything you have said . Look atc is a well paid job with a lot of satisfaction but all i am saying is that it does have negatives all well as positives. All i have tried to do is give a clear overall picture to those on the outside trying to get in . If you come in knowing what to expect then nothing will suprise you and you hopefully wont end up fustrated after a few years. There is no such thing as a dream job and it just concerned me reading the earlier threads from people to this effect. But overall the positives win out and I wish everyone sucess in their final interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skywatch

I'm through to the next interview and this straight-talking thread is great.
    My parents are also worried about shift work's effect long term - especially on a girl. Are there many women in the job? Also, I'm nowhere near the smug marrieds stage, but longterm, I'd be interested to know if there are opportunites for job sharing/part time work? How do working mothers find a work life balance or is it unrealistic for most in this job? I really believe this is the job for me, but as in_Control says, I want to go in with my eyes open and not be in a situation in 10 years time where I'm wanting out.
    Also, regarding time-off, when you say "it's impossible to get time off when you need it", do you mean that you have to take your holidays in bulk and that a friday off here and a wednesday there won't be approved (even if requested well in advance)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redrebel69

[HTML]I'm nowhere near the smug marrieds stage, but longterm, I'd be interested to know if there are opportunites for job sharing/part time work? [/HTML]Yes they are oppertunities
    [HTML]Also, regarding time-off, when you say "it's impossible to get time off when you need it", do you mean that you have to take your holidays in bulk and that a friday off here and a wednesday there won't be approved (even if requested well in advance)? [/HTML]You will be afforded the oppertunity to take blocks of leave throughout the year..as incontrol says to take an odd day is far more difficult as leave is based around traffic..for most of the year its near impossible to get the days you want/need off and you are depending on swaps with workmates to get to off...dont let this put you off thou...job is good and so are your workmates...time off is good but the shifts are tough...

skywatch wrote: »
    I'm through to the next interview and this straight-talking thread is great.
    My parents are also worried about shift work's effect long term - especially on a girl. Are there many women in the job? Also, I'm nowhere near the smug marrieds stage, but longterm, I'd be interested to know if there are opportunites for job sharing/part time work? How do working mothers find a work life balance or is it unrealistic for most in this job? I really believe this is the job for me, but as in_Control says, I want to go in with my eyes open and not be in a situation in 10 years time where I'm wanting out.
    Also, regarding time-off, when you say "it's impossible to get time off when you need it", do you mean that you have to take your holidays in bulk and that a friday off here and a wednesday there won't be approved (even if requested well in advance)?

Firstly let me wish you well in the final interview. Now to answer your questions, (a) We have recruited a lot of girls in the last ten years to address the gender imbalance in a job that was mostly male dominated.It was a culture shock initially to the older lads but seems to have worked out well.(b)Casual time off like you asked has always been an issue but has become a real problem in the last few years due staff shortages. Planning a day off requires a lot of forward planning and you will find it impossible to get nights off. Sick leave is a big issue and is covered by overtime something that was not heard of 10 years ago. (c) job sharing was there for a few and still is but im told it is not there for any more staff due to shortages. The shift we do is tough but in fairness you are paid well and when you finish you leave your job behind unlike other professions. Overall you will be welcomed by your colleagues but you will have to prove yourself and earn respect. Hope this is some help and dont stress too much about the interview.You are down to the last 75 which is some achievement.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now. Some interesting opinions!!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be called back for the final interview. I hadn't really been taking it too seriously up to now. However now I feel I should really give it a lash to try and get the job.

So, what I really want to know is what format the final interview will take. Will there be alot of technical questions or will it just be a more indepth version of the first interview, with more maths questions etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Its a much more personal interview...."why should they give you the job?"..."what do people say about you?"..."why should we give you this job over all the rest of the canidates?" etc etc..a few technical questions as well to see that you have done some reserach and a few questions as regard the job itself ie "what qualities do you think an atco should have"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

@ in control (or anyone else that knows)

Would you know how are the radio officers jobs in Shanwick-Ballygireen filled?

Are they filled from ATC staff or separately.Am I correct in thinking that these staff are purely radio operators ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

@ in control (or anyone else that knows)

Would you know how are the radio officers jobs in Shanwick-Ballygireen filled?

Are they filled from ATC staff or separately.Am I correct in thinking that these staff are purely radio operators ?
    Yes radio officers are sourced differently from Atcos..different skill set required

Advertisement