Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choosing correct car for a relatively newbie driver!

• 07-04-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking at getting my first proper car. The car I currently drive is one given to me by a family member and is nearly 20 years old. It's running great - in fact I kind of of wish it would give up on me at this stage to justify getting a newer one! It costs me nothing, so I've been saving up to buy a new one in cash.

I was thinking of a certain model of car which I like and going for a 2013/2014 and paying around €8/9K. I've also seen a 2017 one now for €12.5K which seems better value, so I'm tempted to go for that one.

There's a few concerns though about paying more for a newer car:
    • My old one is running brilliantly and giving me no problems. It's been in the family since it was bought new so I know its history. I would be nervous about getting rid of a perfectly good, reliable (but old) car and getting a newer one which could give me any amount of trouble.

• I only have my full licence nearly two years. My old car has a few dents and scrapes from when I was learning to drive. I'm not sure I'm at the stage where there will be no more scrapes. At the moment it wouldn't bother me if I got a wee scrape as I know I'll be changing it soon.

• Would it be a bad idea to buy a newer car now with the way fuel cars will be phased out and dropping in popularity over the next few years. Will a fuel car depreciate quicker now than they traditionally would've? Would it be a false economy?

As you can probably tell, I'm not one to be changing my car every year! I'd be happy to have a nice car and drive it for a good few years, so I want to be sure I'm buying the right one, and I'm not left with a worthless car at the end. I'm paying for it in cash, so I good chunk of my saving will be going on it. I don't mind paying for the newer, more expensive one if it would be the better buy. Also with the car I'm looking at, a 2013 would look the same as the 2017 one. I think it was last year that this particular model got a facelift, so the older one won't looked dated any quicker.

Any advice for someone who's a bit clueless when it comes to this kind of thing?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't hold back on the details! Tell people what kind of car it is you are looking at buying and the advice will be much more focused

3 to 4k more for a 17 rather than a 13/14 sounds like decent value but let us know what you're looking at and we'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyone willing to guess it's a Toyota Corolla the OP is driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Don't hold back on the details! Tell people what kind of car it is you are looking at buying and the advice will be much more focused

3 to 4k more for a 17 rather than a 13/14 sounds like decent value but let us know what you're looking at and we'll help.

Thank you! I'm looking at the Ford Fiestas :)

Example of older one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-131-ford-fiesta-zetec-1-2-petrol/26502901

Newer one:

https://www.carstore.ie/used-cars/12654153-ford-fiesta-dublin-171-d12048/

cml387 wrote: »
    Anyone willing to guess it's a Toyota Corolla the OP is driving?

No, that would be far too big for me! The Fiesta is even a size up from what I'm currently driving :D

No, that would be far too big for me! The Fiesta is even a size up from what I'm currently driving :D

In that class of car I have a bit of a soft spot for Renault Clio that came out in 2016 or so, its still current model. Sister in law has one like this and its an impressive little car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/171-renault-clio-high-end-sport-model-led-pack/27533508

That one there is very good value at under 10k, but its a private seller which may or may not turn you off. Since you are using your savings there won't be a problem with finance for a private purchase. You'd walk away with this for 9,500 I'd imagine the seller would take your hand off.
    Can get it checked out I suppose, may be difficult with Covid and its also in Monaghan which could be a problem for you. If I was in the market for a car like that I would be heading straight to Monaghan for a look.

• Advertisement

In that class of car I have a bit of a soft spot for Renault Clio that came out in 2016 or so, its still current model. Sister in law has one like this and its an impressive little car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/171-renault-clio-high-end-sport-model-led-pack/27533508

That one there is very good value at under 10k, but its a private seller which may or may not turn you off. Since you are using your savings there won't be a problem with finance for a private purchase. You'd walk away with this for 9,500 I'd imagine the seller would take your hand off.
    Can get it checked out I suppose, may be difficult with Covid and its also in Monaghan which could be a problem for you. If I was in the market for a car like that I would be heading straight to Monaghan for a look.

Yeah, it was actually between the Clio and the Fiesta for me when I started looking, but overall I prefer the Fiesta. I think the keycard on the Clio would annoy me. I'd also prefer a Dublin reg. That one is a fantastic price though. Good point also on possibly my money going further with a private seller. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

One thing to be aware of OP is that 2017 was a model change year for the Fiesta, so the last of the old model and first cars of the current one were on sale at the same time.

Like you mentioned, both the 2017 and 2013 you've linked are the older model so there wouldn't be much difference between them in terms of spec.

For the sake of reference, this particular 2017 is a newer model version:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-zetec-1-0-petrol-new-model-full-servi/26677824

A lot of the Fiestas in the age range you're looking at will be UK imports so the presence of a proper service history and running the UK reg through the online MOT checker should tell you a bit about how the car has been looked after. The MOT website also shows the mileage of the car at the last test, so you can see if that lines up with what's being advertised.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

One thing to be aware of OP is that 2017 was a model change year for the Fiesta, so the last of the old model and first cars of the current one were on sale at the same time.

Like you mentioned, both the 2017 and 2013 you've linked are the older model so there wouldn't be much difference between them in terms of spec.

For the sake of reference, this particular 2017 is a newer model version:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-zetec-1-0-petrol-new-model-full-servi/26677824

A lot of the Fiestas in the age range you're looking at will be UK imports so the presence of a proper service history and running the UK reg through the online MOT checker should tell you a bit about how the car has been looked after. The MOT website also shows the mileage of the car at the last test, so you can see if that lines up with what's being advertised.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

Oh yes, you're right. I should've said the front grille on the Fiesta changed sometime after 2017, but I don't think the rest of the car changed too much from the outside, well not that an amateur like me would notice anyway :pac: It seems to have gotten a big makeover in the past year or so.

Thanks for the info re the newer 2017 model and the UK imports - good to know. Any idea why so many of them are imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

An Opel Astra diesel 2009/2010 would be a great reliable car. Steer well clear of Renault.

Yeah, it was actually between the Clio and the Fiesta for me when I started looking, but overall I prefer the Fiesta. I think the keycard on the Clio would annoy me. I'd also prefer a Dublin reg. That one is a fantastic price though. Good point also on possibly my money going further with a private seller. Thanks for that!

If you're set on Fiesta, go for it, at end of the day it's about what you want. I might prefer Clio, someone else a yaris, you prefer Fiesta. It's there or thereabouts in that class of car anyway. There's a lady in work that has one and she's happy enough with it. Once you settle on a particular make and model, you can focus your search a bit more and pick the one for you. Can be a headwreck trying to compare 2 different manufacturers against each other, trust me I know I'm stuck between 2 for my next car. If its the Fiesta you want, do up a shortlist of ones you want to go see.

If you're not stretching yourself too much and can afford it, go for the 4 or 5 year old instead of 8 or 9.

I think the price you're looking at for the 2017 one is slightly on the high side so have a good look through done deal and see if it compares well. Don't be afraid to look for a few euro off too, almost nothing is priced to sell so a bit of negotiation room is built in.

Valid point made by another poster too about model change in 2017, you should see the older model being a bit cheaper than newer model, that's the normal way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

An Opel Astra diesel 2009/2010 would be a great reliable car. Steer well clear of Renault.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

What is wrong with Renault?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,101 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tenor.gif

I'll chip in here and ask why too? We can start a steer clear of opel too. Don't they all go on fire?

Call me old skool but whats wrong with keeping the old girl you have??? As you say you KNOW the history & she's driving away fine. You also mention the fact that 'traditional' fuel cars will be phasing out over the next few years....I think all of us with relatively new diesel/petrol cars are going to take a HIT€€ over next few years with ref depreciation/ trade-in values. My advice would be to 'hold tough' & let your kitty€ keep growing as long as you can.....or until the old car fails an nct or needs serious investment€€. With cash in hand you'll be able to pounce on the 'right' car quickly if & when the need arises. If you ARE determined for a change & the choice was between fiesta or clio I would personally lean towards the clio....my youngest Daughter has one ( 2017) & I always find it very attractive & a real pleasure to drive.She tells me its very economical too but I would imagine the focus/&/clio being more or less identical in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Odelay wrote: »
    What is wrong with Renault?

Renault has taken over from Fiat as the greatest sheep of hite on the road. My daughter had a convertible Megane and it broke her heart.

Renault has taken over from Fiat as the greatest sheep of hite on the road. My daughter had a convertible Megane and it broke her heart.

Someone in cork had an opel and it burnt down a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

OP is looking for a smaller car and a petrol model.

As regards keeping the existing car, insurance companies are not keen on covering 20+ year old vehicles, which may become an issue.

It's actually a Fiat I'm currently driving and it's hardly given any trouble over the years!

Call me old skool but whats wrong with keeping the old girl you have??? As you say you KNOW the history & she's driving away fine. You also mention the fact that 'traditional' fuel cars will be phasing out over the next few years....I think all of us with relatively new diesel/petrol cars are going to take a HIT€€ over next few years with ref depreciation/ trade-in values. My advice would be to 'hold tough' & let your kitty€ keep growing as long as you can.....or until the old car fails an nct or needs serious investment€€. With cash in hand you'll be able to pounce on the 'right' car quickly if & when the need arises. If you ARE determined for a change & the choice was between fiesta or clio I would personally lean towards the clio....my youngest Daughter has one ( 2017) & I always find it very attractive & a real pleasure to drive.She tells me its very economical too but I would imagine the focus/&/clio being more or less identical in that regard

If there wasn't a dent and a few scrapes down the side of it, I'd probably keep it for another year, but I'm at the stage now it's time to treat myself! I am very attached to her though :)

And yes, as another poster said getting insurance for a 20 year old car might prove to be a problem.

• Advertisement

but I'm at the stage now it's time to treat myself! I am very attached to her though :)

Methinks you've ALREADY DECIDED:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually that is the old model Renault Clio. A new model came out last year.
    It's still a good car do and never mind the naysayers OP there is nothing wrong with a Renault. They make great cars these days.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually that is the old model Renault Clio. A new model came out last year.
    It's still a good car do and never mind the naysayers OP there is nothing wrong with a Renault. They make great cars these days.

I missed that one, didn't realise it had been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sheep of hit lol.

That was a good while ago I would say and more than likely a MK2 Megane which was not Renaults finest hour but since then they have come on leaps and bounds.
    They are very well built now and very reliable too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

I missed that one, didn't realise it had been replaced.

I will stand over that the Renault Clio is a great reliable car, I've had one from new in 2016. the thing with Renaults is that the Top spec models are packed with extras meanwhile the base versions are extremely misery spec and usually used as rental cars at the start of their lives.

I had a 2011 Megane coupe before the clio and I really liked that too, and was again reliable and top spec.

Full Disclosure: I'm actually selling mine as I'm going electric and need a slightly bigger car.

Here it is:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/-gt-clio-1owner-31k-miles-0-9-tce-dynamique-s/27706083

Just a bit of advice I would check all cars past history especially the 171 MN Clio quoted earlier for an insurance category....

Advertisement