Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people pretend to support certain football teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I grew up never watching football, my whole family are big Liverpool fans but I had more interest in books/star trek etc. When my eldest son was a teenager I wanted to spend more time with him so I started watching the matches with him. He was delighted to teach his old man about his passion.
    I started to understand the rules and even got to like the game and the banter which went with it. This was the season after they won the champions league for the 5th time so they were on a high.

Fans will know that the team slowly slipped down the league for the next few years. Then I went back to education, my son left college and started work and we no longer had as much time to watch matches together. That is around the time Liverpool started to climb back up the table.

A pattern emerged, I watched a match, they lost, I missed a match, they won. It became a running joke that I was a secret man unt fan lol. These days I never watch them play, I could not tell you who the players are. I simply do not have the time or the intelligence to memorize all those players, all those games etc.

My son is now 28, could tell you every player in the PL and prob give you a breakdown of each of the last 10/20 seasons of the PL. Who beat his team, who his team beat, etc. I still have about 20 jerseys/ jackets with various styles based on the kit at the time. When fans ask why I don't watch the games I explain the above and joke that I am a jinx. They laugh and we have the banter, but if I suggest that I may watch a game they always, to a man, try to persuade me not to. "just in case".

Fans can be a superstitious bunch lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

The same way some people wear Ramones t-shirts despite only knowing one song.

But, hey, people can wear whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

soups05 wrote: »
    I grew up never watching football, my whole family are big Liverpool fans but I had more interest in books/star trek etc. When my eldest son was a teenager I wanted to spend more time with him so I started watching the matches with him. He was delighted to teach his old man about his passion.
    I started to understand the rules and even got to like the game and the banter which went with it. This was the season after they won the champions league for the 5th time so they were on a high.

Fans will know that the team slowly slipped down the league for the next few years. Then I went back to education, my son left college and started work and we no longer had as much time to watch matches together. That is around the time Liverpool started to climb back up the table.

A pattern emerged, I watched a match, they lost, I missed a match, they won. It became a running joke that I was a secret man unt fan lol. These days I never watch them play, I could not tell you who the players are. I simply do not have the time or the intelligence to memorize all those players, all those games etc.

My son is now 28, could tell you every player in the PL and prob give you a breakdown of each of the last 10/20 seasons of the PL. Who beat his team, who his team beat, etc. I still have about 20 jerseys/ jackets with various styles based on the kit at the time. When fans ask why I don't watch the games I explain the above and joke that I am a jinx. They laugh and we have the banter, but if I suggest that I may watch a game they always, to a man, try to persuade me not to. "just in case".

Fans can be a superstitious bunch lol.
    Keep not watching them. They're European champions and undefeated in the PL. If it goes bad I will hunt you down !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Irish soccer fans who think they are supporting English soccer teams are only really dipping their toes in the Ocean.

Soccer in England is an institution. It is part of your make up over there. Everyone has a local team who they support and build friendships and family around. It is part of their culture. People from Scunthorpe get the Scunthorpe United tattoo and buy a season ticket. It is very much part of English culture.

English soccer is essentially modern tribalism in a new suit.

When Southampton fans attend the Dell on a Saturday afternoon to watch them play Liverpool FC it is for one reason only.... to slag the shight out of the Liverpool fans, in chorus.

" what does it feel like, to talk like a scouser, to eat shight food, and live on the Dole " etc etc.

That is what it is all about really.... it is ripping the piss out of the other tribes dotted all over the country. Soccer in England is tribal, you would have to admire it really. All the clubs have their own chants and calls. All the clubs have their own slang and local identifiable language, it is beautiful really. That is why they call it the " beautiful game" over there. It is a culture.

It is really sad to see Irish clowns throw on a Liverpool or Manchester United jersey and think that they are part of something or that they belong to something, really really sad. The reality is that all the real Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man u fans just think you are " another phucking Paddy" and don't really understand why you are supporting their team. They are laughing at you, you are a joke to them, believe.

Any Irish Leeds United supporters out there, or Irish Nottingham Forest fans... don't think you are being cool because your team is shight. The fact is that you will never be from Leeds or the river Trent, you will never belong there and you will never get it. It is not really in your blood.

Irish soccer fans who support English soccer are really just victims of a marketing plan started up by executives in Sky Sports in the early 90's. It is very very sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Irish soccer fans who think they are supporting English soccer teams are only really dipping their toes in the Ocean.

Soccer in England is an institution. It is part of your make up over there. Everyone has a local team who they support and build friendships and family around. It is part of their culture. People from Scunthorpe get the Scunthorpe United tattoo and buy a season ticket. It is very much part of English culture.

When Southampton fans attend the Dell on a Saturday afternoon to watch them play Liverpool FC it is for one reason only.... to slag the shight out of the Liverpool fans, in chorus.

" what does it feel like, to talk like a scouser, to eat shight food, and live on the Dole " etc etc.

That is what it is all about really.... it is ripping the piss out of the other tribes dotted all over the country. Soccer in England is tribal, you would have to admire it really. All the clubs have their own chants and calls. All the clubs have their own slang and local identifiable language, it is beautiful really. That is why they call it the " beautiful game" over there. It is a culture.

It is really sad to see Irish clowns throw on a Liverpool or Manchester United jersey and think that they are part of something or that they belong to something, really really sad. The reality is that all the real Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man u fans just think you are " another phucking Paddy" and don't really understand why you are supporting their team. They are laughing at you, you are a joke to them, believe.

Any Irish Leeds United supporters out there, or Irish Nottingham Forest fans... don't think you are being cool because your team is shight. The fact is that you will never be from Leeds or the river Trent, you will never belong there and you will never get it. It is not really in your blood.

Irish soccer fans who support English soccer are really just victims of a marketing plan started up by executives in Sky Sports in the early 90's. It is very very sad.

You are incorrect on about 3 or maybe 4 points you make above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

My Mammy always told me not to worry about what other people think :p

You are incorrect on about 3 or maybe 4 points you make above.

It is the same for IFA fans who go to Anfield or Castle Greyskull on their cheap weekenders. Really sad again.

The locals don't get ye at all. They just think your Irish.

I would have alot more respect for a Crusaders, Glens or Linfield fan who stay at home and listen to Jim Neilly on Cool fm. At least they know where they're from and what they're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tonight you'll have a crowd singing ole ole ole while pretending to be arvent fans of the boys in green...but if they get a trashing watch these same fans leave in their droves before the final whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Leinster has one of, if not the, highest average attendances in the Pro14. Munster and Ulster would be far off either.

And that’s not too bad considering rugby is still behind soccer, Gaelic football and hurling in participation numbers.

Leinster had the highest average attendance in the pro14 last season by a decent margin, with Ulster and Munster second and third. All 3 clubs were over 75% capacity for the season which is pretty decent considering the amount of dead rubber games in the season. Even Connacht gets better attendances than any of the LOI clubs. Stats are all here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro14#Attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The point of this thread are people who support these teams but know nothing about them, they're not trying to be super fans just like the locals, it sounds like they just have the jersey for the craic.

If somebody doesn't know the first thing about the team who's jersey they wear, how do you reckon they think it's in their blood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Dell? they havent played there in about 20 years.

LOI Clubs do this, all clubs sing songs during games slagging off the rival team, "your just a $hit shamrock rovers" (dundalk fans sing at bohs fans) for example. its not just english teams singing songs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is Ericsson playing tonight? He's probably my favourite Manchester Red player. He will surely show the amateurs in the Irish side a thing or 2 about controlling a midpark.

Is Ericsson playing tonight? He's probably my favourite Manchester Red player. He will surely show the amateurs in the Irish side a thing or 2 about controlling a midpark.

No, he signed for France in the last International transfer window i heard

Of course they do and fair play to them. That is what it is all about, identifying with something that you want to belong to and getting involved. Good luck to them, League of Ireland fans are great.

In saying all that.... they have to put up with a lot more competition than English or Scottish soccer fans. Take the GAA or Rugby as an example. The fact remains that your average league of Ireland fan is in a different fish tank to your English soccer fan.

I am talking about being from somewhere like Oldham. Supporting Athletic and only drinking in certain pubs around the town. Being in a " crew" and only shopping in shops which are affiliated to Oldham Athletic.

That sort of crap doesn't really exist up in Finn Harps or down in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

My friend, I think you are talking about the imperious N. Golo Kan-Tae, the Irish-Korean lad. France have recently bought his rights but I think its wrong and hope they do rather badly in the next FAI Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Of course they do and fair play to them. That is what it is all about, identifying with something that you want to belong to and getting involved. Good luck to them, League of Ireland fans are great.

In saying all that.... they have to put up with a lot more competition than English or Scottish soccer fans. Take the GAA or Rugby as an example. The fact remains that your average league of Ireland fan is in a different fish tank to your English soccer fan.

I am talking about being from somewhere like Oldham. Supporting Athletic and only drinking in certain pubs around the town. Being in a " crew" and only shopping in shops which are affiliated to Oldham Athletic.

That sort of crap doesn't really exist up in Finn Harps or down in Inchicore.

LOI are getting a bit more of the hipster market recently too. Who cares anyway why someone wants to follow the team. More power to them, personally I think soccer is great. More fans the better.

And on the topic of wearing a jersey without being able to name a player, so what? Maybe they just like the jersey. I wear baseball caps of baseball teams I don't support on occasion.

My friend, I think you are talking about the imperious N. Golo Kan-Tae, the Irish-Korean lad. France have recently bought his rights but I think its wrong and hope they do rather badly in the next FAI Cup.

Oh sorry that's right. Athlone should never have sold him in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

8-10 wrote: »
    LOI are getting a bit more of the hipster market recently too. Who cares anyway why someone wants to follow the team. More power to them, personally I think soccer is great. More fans the better.

It started as a “hipster” thing a few seasons back alright but there has been a huge swell in support from the United lads who used to mock the league and it’s fans.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

fryup wrote: »
    tonight you'll have a crowd singing ole ole ole while pretending to be arvent fans of the boys in green...but if they get a trashing watch these same fans leave in their droves before the final whistle

When the party gets sh1te, you leave. This isn't religion lads, and even if it was, people leave early

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Leeds, Ireland is full of yis

Seperately i have noticed a drop off of sorts in the amount of people i see actually wearing football shirts. Back in the mid late 90's and most of early noughties they were ten a penny.

Probably not the main reason but the price of them nowadays! I used to love getting them as a sort of collecting, especially after a major international tournament and Elverys would have a few oddities on sale for 20 quid.. nowadays your looking at paying around 40 on sale for a shirt from a few years back, and 60-80 for a new one.

Same with rugby jerseys too though, again Elverys used to be great for getting some interesting foreign ones

• Advertisement

Probably not the main reason but the price of them nowadays! I used to love getting them as a sort of collecting, especially after a major international tournament and Elverys would have a few oddities on sale for 20 quid.. nowadays your looking at paying around 40 on sale for a shirt from a few years back, and 60-80 for a new one.

Same with rugby jerseys too though, again Elverys used to be great for getting some interesting foreign ones

Fair point.

I went through a period of collecting Serie A jersey's as they were by far the most stylish

I also remember Boca and RP had some beauts in the 90's too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know people who wear man U, liverpool jerseys and say they support them yet they never watch matches and dont even know what players they have. anyone any idea why people would do this?

even if they did watch all the matches and know all the players - they'd still be saddos.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Peer pressure I suppose. When I was in primary school everybody had to have a favourite English football team. I wasn't the slightest bit interested in football but I just chose a team and pretended to like them, so as not to feel left out. I dropped the pretence in secondary school and ever since have told people I'm not into football.
    I was a child but to pretend to support a certain football team when you're an adult seems silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

To fit in I'd say.

I cannot imagine being that fake, but at the end of the day there's worse ways you could be a phony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He's a Man City fan now.

Was briefly a Leicester fan...

KaneToad wrote: »
    Was briefly a Leicester fan...

he doesnt pick the teams that win, he picked the two teams with the biggest fan base in Ireland, he was on just before an election. like do you know anyone who supports liverpool and man united?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I thought Mayo were after him

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I started supporting Arsenal because they had a number of Irish players at the time, Brady, Stapleton, O'Leary and Jennings. Also my neighbour supported Spurs and I hated that fecker so Arsenal were a good fit :)

gandalf wrote: »
    I started supporting Arsenal because they had a number of Irish players at the time, Brady, Stapleton, O'Leary and Jennings. Also my neighbour supported Spurs and I hated that fecker so Arsenal were a good fit :)

I wonder will they ever have an Irish player again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This quandary will keep me up all night.

'tis fair weather fans OP.

Advertisement