Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thanks all for the help, I got it from Irish Newspaper archives, irish Daily Independent, see pdf attached, I can't crop so whole page is here

31st January, 1903

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry - internet kicked back in and I got it thanks.

Wanted to see the image without the magnification - sometimes less is better.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry - not finding any matches.

Best I could get was Killadreenan Graveyard has an Elizabeth Cooling but it's from the 1700's!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, I found an Ann Cooling buried in kilquade cemetery, no date or details, Patrick was married to an Ann, so finding the obituary proves he was brought back to Newtown to be burried with her..... if that is the same Ann cooling. I spoke to Clare Kilbride who looks after records for kilquade she wasn't able to help but this obituary may mak sense to her. She suggested I contact the archbishops house in drumcondra.... I will do that next week. Thanks and goodnight all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I just have a query about this baptism entry. It's on the right page on 26th July. It looks to me like Christopher s (son) of Patk (Patrick) Kelly & Marcella Townsend S.M.M. Spon (sponsors) Hugh Mullany and Catherine Kelly.

If I'm reading it correctly as S.M.M. written after the mother's name, does anyone know what that means? I can only find it being linked to the Company of Mary but that doesn't make much sense for a mother. Thank you for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

srmf5 wrote: »
    I just have a query about this baptism entry. It's on the right page on 26th July. It looks to me like Christopher s (son) of Patk (Patrick) Kelly & Marcella Townsend S.M.M. Spon (sponsors) Hugh Mullany and Catherine Kelly.

If I'm reading it correctly as S.M.M. written after the mother's name, does anyone know what that means? I can only find it being linked to the Company of Mary but that doesn't make much sense for a mother. Thank you for any help.

I honestly don't know myself, but a wild guess comes to mind, "St. Mary Magdalene"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

As a comparison, there is an underlined W.M.M. after the Aug 1st King baptism

Could WMM signify a mother of a different religion, like Wesleyan Methodist Movement?
    Could SMM (possibly) signify St. Mary's Mother and Baby Home?
    ...or that the mother belonged to St Mary's parish, perhaps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could it be a visiting (or not the usual) priest's initials?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the replies.
    Deja Boo wrote: »
    As a comparison, there is an underlined W.M.M. after the Aug 1st King baptism

Could WMM signify a mother of a different religion, like Wesleyan Methodist Movement?
    Could SMM (possibly) signify St. Mary's Mother and Baby Home?
    ...or that the mother belonged to St Mary's parish, perhaps?

Thanks for pointing out W.M.M. I don't know what that means either but I wonder if it's just a coincidence that they're both after entries for a Kelly child. It might just be one of those cases where it could be a code that the priest made up himself that he understood.

I think that the St. Mary's Mother and Baby Home hadn't been built yet. It was built as a workhouse in 1841.

I was also wondering if maybe it might indicate the mother being of a different religion but I couldn't think what it would stand for. Townsend is a surname that is more often associated with Church of Ireland but not always. There were Catholic Townsend baptisms in Tuam as well.

• Advertisement

S.M. – Sanctae Memoriae ("Of Holy Memory") ?

Did the mother survive the birth?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Couldn't find any incidence of it again in the register.
    I wonder is there anything in that is it SMM for a male child and WMM for a female?

S.M. – Sanctae Memoriae ("Of Holy Memory") ?

Did the mother survive the birth?

Thanks, that could be it. I don't know if the mother did survive the birth. It's the only child recorded for that couple and the same goes William Kelly and Anne King. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though since there could be gaps in the registers going back to the early 1800s or they could have been married a while and Christopher just happened to be their youngest child. If SMM has something to do with the mother being deceased, then I just wonder what WMM would stand for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

W=Widowed?
    S=Survived/Survivor?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I want to confirm some of Edmond's details - his surname DORNEY? his profession POSTMAN? his father's name BENJAMIN?? on the last marriage record #190 here. Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it could be Kearney or even Harney, rather than Dorney. As for the rest, I agree that it looks like post-man and Benjamin.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks New Home. I've now found Edmond's birth record and I can confirm that he was son of Benjamin Dorney and he was a postman on the 1901 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Here's a page of deaths from the Blackrock area of Dublin:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04629/4229491.pdf

But the actual Registrar's district is very unclear, it looks to be typed rather than transcribed. Any ideas please?

Edit, I think it's Blackhall rather than Blackrock, and most of them seem to be in St Laurence? hospital

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's a page of deaths from the Blackrock area of Dublin:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04629/4229491.pdf

But the actual Registrar's district is very unclear, it looks to be typed rather than transcribed. Any ideas please?

Edit, I think it's Blackhall rather than Blackrock, and most of them seem to be in St Laurence? hospital

St. Laurence's comprised the Richmond, Whitworth and Hardwick hospitals (from what I can see online).
    It was where the old Richmond Hospital was (building still is) on North Brunswick Street.

Looks like the district is Dublin North (city) No. 2 (?)

Ah so it is the North side, thanks indeed!

• Advertisement

Much clearer on the handwritten one, yes, 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Please I need help to transcribe a house book record here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007250632_00861.pdf

so far I have got:

Houses in the townland of Brierfield

Thomas Healy/Whaley? £5.00
    House add for attic?
    Barn ____
    ___ Stable and Cowhouse
    Exempt Land ___ Committing? of build __ pa____ offer/office
    The situation of the house may be considered the same on that __ ____
    last and ___ ___ known? many? they? __ here?
    of ____
    Land? deducted from the whole settle? at 1/3 off

Coffey was the Valuator(third last line)

It mentions something about land what do you think it means? The land was occupied by healys in 1833 (48 acres) and I have another record stating the last lease given in the townland was in 1830 and healy is still occuping the land in 1845 and has the lease(from 1830) but in the griffiths valuation dated 1845 another man thomas davis was in the townland as owner and sole occupier.The prior landlord in 1845 was John Cruise.Would there be a record of this land transfer and what happened to the tenants?could the new landlord break the lease or did it run out?

So maybe they couldnt pay for a new lease? in 1845? I am a bit reluctant to believe this as our family wasnt that poor around those times we also had a similar house with the same dimensions valued 4 pounds at this time ,there are storys we even had subtenant or two one time(probably long before 1845 though) we also had 48 acres in 1845.We were catholic farmers but this was around famine times and maybe bad luck the lease ran out in 1845?
    In 1852 we have the right to vote as we have 12 pounds of property valuation but there is no healy from brierfield mentioned in this voting record even though there house is worth 5 pounds and they had good land so Im guessing they had left/evicted.

I have been able to find a healy who is descendant of these and her healy went to america roughly around 1860 she believes.I havent been able to pinpoint the relation so its either 3rd once removed or fourth cousin once removed.

The reason this information is important because there was a story passed down that three healy brothers were split land between them and I think this family is the key to solving that mystery.Our house was built in 1759. we came around the mid to early 1700s to the area.

I have a this healy line with passed down knowledge/graves to a healy in born 1690-1770.

The extra information may not be relevant but I cant make out what the record mentions about land .Thanks to anyone who took time to look at it. :)

Tombom1 wrote: »
    Please I need help to transcribe a house book record here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007250632_00861.pdf

so far I have got:

Houses in the townland of Brierfield

Thomas Healy/Whaley? £5.00
    House add for attic?
    Barn ____
    ___ Stable and Cowhouse
    Exempt Land ___ Committing? of build __ pa____ offer/office
    The situation of the house may be considered the same on that __ ____
    last and ___ ___ known? many? they? __ here?
    of ____
    Land? deducted from the whole settle? at 1/3 off

Coffey was the Valuator(third last line)

It mentions something about land what do you think it means? The land was occupied by healys in 1833 (48 acres) and I have another record stating the last lease given in the townland was in 1830 and healy is still occuping the land in 1845 and has the lease(from 1830) but in the griffiths valuation dated 1845 another man thomas davis was in the townland as owner and sole occupier.The prior landlord in 1845 was John Cruise.Would there be a record of this land transfer and what happened to the tenants?could the new landlord break the lease or did it run out?

So maybe they couldnt pay for a new lease? in 1845? I am a bit reluctant to believe this as our family wasnt that poor around those times we also had a similar house with the same dimensions valued 4 pounds at this time ,there are storys we even had subtenant or two one time(probably long before 1845 though) we also had 48 acres in 1845.We were catholic farmers but this was around famine times and maybe bad luck the lease ran out in 1845?
    In 1852 we have the right to vote as we have 12 pounds of property valuation but there is no healy from brierfield mentioned in this voting record even though there house is worth 5 pounds and they had good land so Im guessing they had left/evicted.

I have been able to find a healy who is descendant of these and her healy went to america roughly around 1860 she believes.I havent been able to pinpoint the relation so its either 3rd once removed or fourth cousin once removed.

The reason this information is important because there was a story passed down that three healy brothers were split land between them and I think this family is the key to solving that mystery.Our house was built in 1759. we came around the mid to early 1700s to the area.

I have a this healy line with passed down knowledge/graves to a healy in born 1690-1770.

The extra information may not be relevant but I cant make out what the record mentions about land .Thanks to anyone who took time to look at it. :)
    Land? I didn't notice the reference, but I am new to genealogy and am not as familiar with the census as I should be.

Comparing Mr Coffey's data with his other pages, this is what I came up with, but I am only guestimating. Interestingly, there is a John Healy on the census'es next page (but you probably already knew that :o)

Sorry for the disconnected format of the data, it's the best I could came up with late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Land? I didn't notice the reference, but I am new to genealogy and am not as familiar with the census as I should be.

Comparing Mr Coffey's data with his other pages, this is what I came up with, but I am only guestimating. Interestingly, there is a John Healy on the census'es next page (but you probably already knew that :o)

Sorry for the disconnected format of the data, it's the best I could came up with late at night.

Thanks so much, :) I didnt even know sundries was a word so I guess its better to ask than to coming to conclusions about land :p

So I guess its a trip to the estate records if i want to solve it.
    John Healy was Thomas's either 1st or 2 nd cousin , I havent quite figured it out yet through dna.
    The similar build of the two house has me interested as ours was built in 1759.

Would you say I could find the land transfer in the irishdeeds index?

I have two questions if you don't mind -

On this entry the 'husband' is circled. Does this mean the registrar doubts if he actually was the husband? And in fact I can't find a marriage record for the two names in question.

SnXcRo.jpg

And here we have 'medical attendant' deceased. Does this refer to the actual medical attendant and is it unusual to include that piece of info?

gBU6EB.jpg

Thanks.

Can you please link to the whole page?

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's not a 'decipher' question so linking to the full page won't make any difference? (I presume the images are visible).

It may make a difference as other things may provide clues.

• Advertisement

Nevertheless, it is a rule of this thread that we ask for the full page. It's actually written in the thread title. Seeing the full page shows other users the context and what format the writer employed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement