Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do most straight women fear a bi guy?

• 24-10-2019 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

<Snip>

Mod
    If this is even a remotely genuine question I strongly suggest you find a way to rephrase it. That was not acceptable at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Telpis.

I've been banned for less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I didn't see the original post but the thread title interested me...
    I'd be intested in people's opinions...Rather than fear.....would most women be uneasy dating a bi-guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why not just ask all straight women OP?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not the OP.....I have asked some friends who said they "might" but I'm not sure if they are just trying not to make it a big deal for my sake.
    That's why I'm asking here....for non-biased by friendship opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Disclaimer: I am not all straight women.
    But I would have no problem with it. Speaking from experience.

• Advertisement

I also didnt say ALL straight women...that was the OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The question posed in the original op was essentially,

Would straight women be wary of dating a bisexual man due to the perception that he may leave them for a male partner and the perception that he carries a higher risk of STDs (op did not elaborate on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Fear of STDs yes. Only more options if he chooses to cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I certainly don't fear bi guys but personally I wouldn't date a bi guy. I'm not sure why exactly but for some reason I would find it a turn off.
    I guess its like everything else there's stuff thats unexplainable when it comes to what we are ok with romantically or sexually. In a friendship it doesn't bother me in the least and I certainly don't fear anyone else's sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

May as well worry about dating straight guys then, can get stds that way too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't even think to ask tbh. Who anyone I sleep with slept with before me is none of my business and I'm not that bothered.

bertsmom wrote: »
    I certainly don't fear bi guys but personally I wouldn't date a bi guy.

That sounds like fear to me. Fear that if you date one a negative experience may occur.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

It wouldn’t bother me one bit.
    That said, I think most straight women would have an issue with it

That sounds like fear to me. Fear that if you date one a negative experience may occur.

No its not fear. What would there be to fear?
    For me its just that I would find it a turn off, as in something that would make that person less appealing than others to me.
    Im 37 and have always made it clear I don't want children and I'm sure that's made me less attractive to some men but I don't think that's fear its just that as humans we all find different things attractive or unattractive.
    So to conclude it might sound like fear to a stranger on the internet but I know myself well enough to be comfortable with my choices and whether I feel fear or not

There's a perception that bi people are promiscuous or more likely to cheat which is complete bull. That puts some people off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

No its not fear. What would there be to fear?
    For me its just that I would find it a turn off, as in something that would make that person less appealing than others to me.
    Im 37 and have always made it clear I don't want children and I'm sure that's made me less attractive to some men but I don't think that's fear its just that as humans we all find different things attractive or unattractive.
    So to conclude it might sound like fear to a stranger on the internet but I know myself well enough to be comfortable with my choices and whether I feel fear or not

Is it because you find them less masculine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

How do bi lads even come around to saying it to a potential girl,,,, oh by the way I’m into men as well

We had this conversation at work and most of the girls said the same thing ,,,,, it’s hard enough to watch them around women never mind the entire bloody niteclub lol

I don't think I'd class a whole group of bi guys as less masculine. I reckon their are plenty very masculine burly bi guys,
    I personally just find it an unattractive trait in a potential romantic interest, which I think is perfectly fine, different strokes for different folks and all that, obviously I couldn't care less on a friendship level and it would be absolutely none of my business.
    Im just answering the question posed honestly.

adam88 wrote: »
    How do bi lads even come around to saying it to a potential girl,,,, oh by the way I’m into men as well

We had this conversation at work and most of the girls said the same thing ,,,,, it’s hard enough to watch them around women never mind the entire bloody niteclub lol

So basically they all have biphobic attitudes that all bi men are cheaters

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I don't think I'd class a whole group of bi guys as less masculine. I reckon their are plenty very masculine burly bi guys,
    I personally just find it an unattractive trait in a potential romantic interest, which I think is perfectly fine, different strokes for different folks and all that, obviously I couldn't care less on a friendship level and it would be absolutely none of my business.
    Im just answering the question posed honestly.

No, that's fine. Let's be honest, you're not the only one. I do wonder though is it the same for bisexual women and men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Im 37 and have always made it clear I don't want children

Does Bert know?

No, that's fine. Let's be honest, you're not the only one. I do wonder though is it the same for bisexual women and men.

I doubt it. I'm bisexual and married to a straight man. I know a good few bisexuals in relationships with straight people. I can't understand why it would be an issue unless you believe bisexuality makes you more likely to cheat or careless about your sexual health.

Does Bert know?

Lol He was my gorgeous dog, passed away now but will never forget the most handsome guy I've ever had in my life.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I doubt it. I'm bisexual and married to a straight man. I know a good few bisexuals in relationships with straight people. I can't understand why it would be an issue unless you believe bisexuality makes you more likely to cheat or careless about your sexual health.

Are those all bi women that are married to straight men or do you know bi men married to straight women?

I'm bi (and single)....and as for being more promiscuous...I'm the complete opposite, I only sleep with someone if I have some good connection with them...and that doesn't happen too often!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From a woman I knew from a previous job; she didn't like the fact that the dude (who liked her) also liked dick. So things didn't progress between them.

The fact that men to women ratio on the likes of Tinder is a large difference could be one reason that women can choose not to like bisexual men.

However, men may see it as a possible FMF threesome in the future, if the woman was bi :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I do believe that there is still a widespread perception that bi people are more promiscuous and “want to have their cake and eat it” etc which is very unfair to them.

Also given societal homophobia being stronger against gay men than lesbian women and most straight men being rather turned on by lesbian sex, I suspect that far more straight women are put off by bisexual men as a potential partner than straight men are by bisexual women.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

I think that a lot of women and general society would judge a man if he came out as bisexual - the big one being that "oh he's just gay and hasn't accepted it". In my experience of dating bi lads, this tends to lead to complete secrecy and unfortunately some of these lads when they are back dating women are still hiding a really huge part of their personality.

I've seen one or two back with girlfriends and I always think how sad it that I potentially know more about them than that girl does.

Its a shame there isn't a bit more flexibility and understanding out there.

Advertisement