Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple thefts of bikes/parts at Irish Rail station. Rant

• 12-11-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

I have had two bikes stolen and multiple parts stolen (Wheels, "non"-removale lights, even cables, chains and brake and gear mechanisms).

One month ago my rear wheel was stolen so I bought a new one and new lock with cable loop. (Total - 250). Only to discover that the entire bike was stolen last night. Even though it was locked to the bicycle loop at the station - Looped through the rear wheel, through the frame and station loop-bar and then to the front wheel. No sign of even the lock so they must have had a key or cracked it.

Anyway, over the last 4 years I have had about 1000 euros worth stolen. I have contacted Irish Rail and got the typical "Not our responsibility" speech.

There are no lockers at the station (Clonsilla) and Irish Rail does not want to do anything as it costs them nothing to do nothing.

So yeah, I would not recommend cycling to Clonsilla station as Irish Rail will allow your property to be stolen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

ride a junk bike. Maybe if its not worth the bother of stealing, they will pass it by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

didn't help a friend who had a bike worth not much more than the scrap value of the metal, nicked from the next station down (coolmine) a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a fold up bike, bring with you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of very expensive bike locks are useless and can be cut, shimmed or raked by someone in seconds using very basic tools. Did you just have the cable lock on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't help a friend who had a bike worth not much more than the scrap value of the metal, nicked from the next station down (coolmine) a few years ago.

it helped in the sense that he was only down a small amount of money and could replace it cheaply.

Junk bike all the way if you're leaving it somewhere exposed like a Dart station - you can get a decent (old, not stolen) bike on Adverts or Facebook, replace any bits that need replacing and not have to worry too much about it. It's unfortunate that this is necessary but sadly that's the way things are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of very expensive bike locks are useless and can be cut, shimmed or raked by someone in seconds using very basic tools. Did you just have the cable lock on it?

Well, I only used one lock, if that's what you mean. Came with the loop cable so that went through the rear wheel, around the frame of the bike and the loop for the bike and then to the U-lock (Which went through the front wheel to the same station loop).

Yeah, I didn't see the lock thrown aside (But there were others cut in two so I suspect a few bikes were robbed at same time). So I assume that they were ust able to get into it very easy.

As for getting a foldable? Yeah, that's what I will do eventually. Shame as trains are crowded enough as it is but I'm f*cked if I give another yack-head scrote more of my money.

2 locks minimum. The cables are easily cut and angle grinder are widely used...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unfortunately even the most expensive locks (€100+) can easily be cut.

The difference an expensive lock makes is the type of tools that will work against it and how long it takes. An angle grinder will cut absolutely any lock, the difference it makes is that on the best lock it will take about 4 minutes, versus 20 seconds for a cheap lock.

There are professional bike thieves driving around in vans with angle grinders stealing dozens of bikes at a time and throwing them into the back of a van. My own bike was locked in an underground car park, behind CCTV and security gates. They simply used the van to ram the gates up and then proceeded to steal every bike in the place.

What others said is correct. You best option is either a folding bike or a really cheap, beater bike (with a good lock) that you won't care too much about replacing if stolen.

Completely sucks.

FYI cable locks are completely useless, you don't even need a tool to "cut" those, I've seen people simply yank the big and snap the lock in just one second!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyway, over the last 4 years I have had about 1000 euros worth stolen. I have contacted Irish Rail and got the typical "Not our responsibility" speech.

Well, it isn't their responsibility. Harsh but there you go. Not their fault that scumbags were spawned nearby.

Every car park and public area has that ass covering sign that they're not liable for any damage or loss howsoever caused.
    Like the others say, get an outright unattractive banger or folding bike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, I only used one lock, if that's what you mean. Came with the loop cable so that went through the rear wheel, around the frame of the bike and the loop for the bike and then to the U-lock (Which went through the front wheel to the same station loop).

Yeah, I didn't see the lock thrown aside (But there were others cut in two so I suspect a few bikes were robbed at same time). So I assume that they were ust able to get into it very easy.

As for getting a foldable? Yeah, that's what I will do eventually. Shame as trains are crowded enough as it is but I'm f*cked if I give another yack-head scrote more of my money.

Basically any and every cable lock can be cut when using the appropriate size of cutters. Cable and a decent brand hardened shackle U lock seems to be the more reliable way

• Advertisement

Could be an idea to contact all your local political candidates and question them if they call to the door....

I've so much o want to say to them when they call I go fecking blank.... Typical punisher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I would not recommend cycling to Clonsilla station....
    I realise you don't state your destination but I'm presuming it's city center so is cycling in not an option and much more comfortable than getting the train?

Did you really spend €250 on a lock? :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

L1011 wrote: »
    Basically any and every cable lock can be cut when using the appropriate size of cutters. Cable and a decent brand hardened shackle U lock seems to be the more reliable way

You don't even need any tools to steal a bike with a cable lock. I recently saw a bike being stolen, the teenager simply grabbed the bike and yanked it back really hard. The cable lock simply snapped open from the force and the kid jumped on the bike and was off. All happened in about 5 seconds!

Cable locks are completely useless.
    Did you really spend €250 on a lock? :eek:

The OP said combination of a new rear wheel and lock. That would be "cheap" for a rear wheel and tire for a decent bike.

bk wrote: »
    You don't even need any tools to steal a bike with a cable lock. I recently saw a bike being stolen, the teenager simply grabbed the bike and yanked it back really hard. The cable lock simply snapped open from the force and the kid jumped on the bike and was off. All happened in about 5 seconds!

Cable locks are completely useless.

There are cable locks with appropriately strong lock bodies and mountings that that would not work on - but they can still be cut. So yes, they are completely useless regardless.

The 'strap locks' that are sold sometimes as lightweight ones are even worse, theyre basically multiple really thin cables that a pocket knife could cut individually - so just takes a few goes to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anything that delays the actual taking of the bike is hardly completely useless. The 10 seconds it takes, a passer by (or the owner) could show up

Anything that delays the actual taking of the bike is hardly completely useless. The 10 seconds it takes, a passer by (or the owner) could show up

The lad I saw did it on Drumcondra Road, on All Ireland final day, surrounded by 100's of people! Didn't stop him and it happened so fast and so surprisingly that I and all the other people around didn't have time to react to what was happening. I was only about 10 meters away. He was gone by the time we realised what he was doing.

I'm not saying don't have a lock, of course you should, just understand that they are no guarantee and at best they will slow someone down. Best bet is not to leave bikes locked outside if you can. Or just go with a cheap bike and accept it will likely be eventually stolen.

If it takes 10 seconds a passer by is not going to notice that it isn't the owner having minor trouble with a key.

Unless it takes minutes, its useless. Seconds is completely useless. And locks that take minutes are more likely to lead to the thief moving on to another less secure bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most people won't care or intervene, if it's not their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What makes bikes so attractive to scrotes?

Are they selling them on to other commuters via done-deal or Facebook for cash flow?

salonfire wrote: »
    What makes bikes so attractive to scrotes?

Are they selling them on to other commuters via done-deal or Facebook for cash flow?

Making money on sales.

• Advertisement
Advertisement