Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Pot Cooker 60% off on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I dont think you can get anything crispy in the Instant Pot. Watched a video of a full chicken being cooked in it and the end result looked very soggy and then the cook went and put it in an oven anyway to crisp it up which kind of defeats the purpose. Id see the IP as a tool for things like curries, stews, chilli, etc, if you want crispy food then the airfryer or oven is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Look at the ninja foodie if your looking for crispness bought one for my brother down to £129.99 from £199.99

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I dont think you can get anything crispy in the Instant Pot. Watched a video of a full chicken being cooked in it and the end result looked very soggy and then the cook went and put it in an oven anyway to crisp it up which kind of defeats the purpose. Id see the IP as a tool for things like curries, stews, chilli, etc, if you want crispy food then the airfryer or oven is the way to go.

I do roasts and chicken quite successfully in the IP. The trick is to brown/saute first and then pressure cook. It seems like a bit of a faff in the beginning, but you soon get used to it. The meat and chicken is beautifully moist and it sits in the pot keeping warm for however long you need.

But, yes, an air fryer or oven is the perfect option for genuinely crispy stuff and baked goods -each gadget to its strength :)

aisling86 wrote: »
    Look at the ninja foodie if your looking for crispness bought one for my brother down to £129.99 from £199.99

I just saw an ad for that on tv the other night, a pressure cooker that is also an airfryer. This could turn out to be the new holy grail and we'll all be here this time next year waiting for it to drop to £60 on Black Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Should we all be cancelling our instant pot and go for that ninja thang?? I hate having so many appliances and it'd be much nicer to have something that can replace something else!

I wonder how it compares to the instant pot for pressure cooking functions and how it compares to say the philips air fryer then for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I posted about it in the food forum a few months ago

-Came across this Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker but also airfryer and dehydrator. Looks to me like a jack of all trades, master of none. The reviewer gets huge praise in the comments for the non nonsense reviewing style

153 in argos, it was 250 in argos when I posted that in august
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9372753/Trail/searchtext%3EFOODI.htm
    I'd be more tempted at that price, if I did not already have both a instant pot and airfryer.

I had a giggle at the claim amazon are conning people. I got the instant pot at £82 last year and considered it a great price.

My money would be on the poster being mistaken (not lying), I saw an extremely similar looking and named unit for £59.99 a few months ago, deliberate copy cat.

Of course it is possibly it really was a lightening sale which camelcamelcamel missed, but that is a moot point, the main claim here was that it was a con job and not a great price - a "fake bargain". CCC can miss out on flash prices but so what, it still is incredibly useful and shows the true "going rate".

I got 48 cans of guinness for 35euro yesterday, I will still be posting if they hit 24 or 20 for a tray in the future. And if I had seen an instant pot for £60 several weeks ago I sure as hell would have shared the deal here.

rubadub wrote: »
    -Came across this Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker but also airfryer and dehydrator. Looks to me like a jack of all trades, master of none. The reviewer gets huge praise in the comments for the non nonsense reviewing style

I was expecting the review to be pointing out a lot of flaws compared to other pressure cookers and air fryers, but it seemed to do both relatively well? I don't have either and haven't researched into how well others stack up, but it seemed to perform well enough for a combo?

Considering the Philips Air Fryer XL is like £229, I think a combo at £129 sounds pretty good?

Looks like instant pot do a combo too, can't see it on amazon.co.uk anywhere, but I think it's new out in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_syfpGxmQ

Conclusion of the vid is saying that the Ninja Foodie is better. I prefer the stainless steel pot of the Instant Pot and it looks a little more compact too and has a few more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my Instant Pot arrived this morning, very excited, this is going to fix everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

loyatemu wrote: »
    my Instant Pot arrived this morning, very excited, this is going to fix everything!

Ah, those famous last words!

• Advertisement

I'm thinking to cancel my order for the instant pot for £60 and get either the Ninja or Instant pot with the air fryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

cormie wrote: »
    I'm thinking to cancel my order for the instant pot for £60 and get either the Ninja or Instant pot with the air fryer!

Prob since boards users on here would take it from you if they missed out on the bargain?

Yeah, if anyone is interested let me know! Collection in Dun Laoghaire, works out around €72-ish

cormie wrote: »

If you dont already have an airfryer its probably the thing to do. However from the video of the Ninja posted by rubadub the lid on the Ninja has to stand up when you're using the airfryer function. It looks like it needs a lot of space above it to operate, it doesnt look like it would fit underneath standard wall mounted kitchen cabinets with the lid up so be aware of that before buying.

In any case I dont really get the idea of pressure cooking a full chicken and then using an airfryer to crisp it up when you could have just cooked the chicken entirely in an airfryer to begin with. Is there any kind of logic to it that the chicken would be more moist by pressure cooking first and then crisping up over just airfrying alone?

If you dont already have an airfryer its probably the thing to do. However from the video of the Ninja posted by rubadub the lid on the Ninja has to stand up when you're using the airfryer function. It looks like it needs a lot of space above it to operate, it doesnt look like it would fit underneath standard wall mounted kitchen cabinets with the lid up so be aware of that before buying.

In any case I dont really get the idea of pressure cooking a full chicken and then using an airfryer to crisp it up when you could have just cooked the chicken entirely in an airfryer to begin with. Is there any kind of logic to it that the chicken would be more moist by pressure cooking first and then crisping up over just airfrying alone?

she clearly closes the lid when air-frying the chicken. That review btw is one of the best I've seen on YouTube. Other YouTubers could learn a lot from her style: stick to the point, show don't tell, edit out the irrelevant bits and we don't need to hear your tedious life story either...

my bad its when she is pressure cooking that the airfryer lid has to remain wide open, making the device almost two foot tall meaning where you place it needs thinking about. Agreed on the review, just the facts and no bullsh1t compared to most review vids. I always prefer review vids not to have the reviewer front of camera because then it becomes all about them and not the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tried my first recipe in the Instant Pot last night and was delighted. I've never been able to make a nice stew so went looking for a recipe, gave it a bash and was delighted with the results. It was really tasty and very delicate. I'm hoping other recipes turn out just as well. Thanks folks.

496886.JPG

Looks great, how long did it take to cook in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Looks great, how long did it take to cook in it?

25 minutes for the longest part, maybe an hour all in:

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-beef-stew-22949287

That's the recipe I followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I cooked spuds in mine today, (first time using it) as I already had leftovers from a chilli I made on Sunday night.

All I can say is they don't know what a "large potatoe" is across the pond - as the booklet mine came with said to put large potatoe (s) on the steam setting for 12-15 mins.

I put mine on for the 15 mins, did all the usual, let it build up to pressure etc, naturally let it depressurise, and the spuds (large roosters, about the size of two good sliotars) were still as hard as a goats knee when they came out.

Had to do them for another 15 mins or so, but in fairness they came out great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thats such a brilliant Irish angle on the Instant Pot... :)

I cooked spuds in mine today, (first time using it) as I already had leftovers from a chilli I made on Sunday night.

All I can say is they don't know what a "large potatoe" is across the pond - as the booklet mine came with said to put large potatoe (s) on the steam setting for 12-15 mins.

I put mine on for the 15 mins, did all the usual, let it build up to pressure etc, naturally let it depressurise, and the spuds (large roosters, about the size of two good slithers) were still as hard as a goats knee when they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I put mine on for the 15 mins, did all the usual, let it build up to pressure etc, naturally let it depressurise, and the spuds (large roosters, about the size of two good sliotars) were still as hard as a goats knee when they came out.

If you ever ate in a restaurant where the chefs who write these recipes work you'd realise that a large potato is somewhere between a barley grain and a marble. I remember being brought to one of these places for an expensive Christmas dinner some years ago, I left that night still wondering when the main course would arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

LOL Did not realise that a goats knee would be a reference item for vegetable hardness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

dingding wrote: »
    LOL Did not realise that a goats knee would be a reference item for vegetable hardness

I've been laughing most of the day at this. My other half came up stairs after 5 minutes of solid laughing to ask if I'm feeling okay. A goats knee.... I just can't

I always do spuds at high pressure - the steam setting doesn't really cut it IMO. Also, I find it best to have them relatively small - tennis ball size - and 15 mins is perfect, no matter how many in the pot.

Love the goat's knee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw that Ninja Foodi in DID today, that is a big unit!

Cooked a chicken casserole in mine today, first time using it.

Turned out very nice, but using the "meat/stew" preset the default time is 35 minutes which I think is a lot longer than necessary. Online recipes suggest pressure cook on "high" for 10-15 mins is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Cooked a stew in this three weeks ago, was delicious and ate it all weekend. There was a bit leftover that I never ate, but sealed it and left it there. Should I wear a hazmat suit when unsealing it?

Still Ill wrote: »
    Cooked a stew in this three weeks ago, was delicious and ate it all weekend. There was a bit leftover that I never ate, but sealed it and left it there. Should I wear a hazmat suit when unsealing it?

Beware - your user name could become very appropriate :pac:

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Saw that Ninja Foodi in DID today, that is a big unit!

Yeah it looks massive on the videos I've seen :eek:

I'm waiting to see when the Instant Pot Duo Crisp will be released here and I think I'll go for that one, it seems a bit more compact and also I prefer the idea of a stainless steel pot.

Advertisement