Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnightly Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

jpcarlow wrote: »
    I truly love it, big fan of his style ( i keep buying his variant covers for The Shadow)

Back to marvel, this week is Avengers Disassembled

avengers-disassembled.jpg

Like I said I can appreciate it and admire the effort he puts in, some of his Earth X stuff looks amazing but some of it just looks bad, in particular his Spider-man, also a lot of the times I have seen Batman Ross' rendition of the costume seems to have him looking over weight, kinda reminds me of the guys dressed up as Batman in the beginning of The Dark Knight.

In saying that it a quick look at the drawing of She-Hulk opposite the editors comment this week in Avenger Disassembled and I would gladly take some Ross art in it's place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

My word was i disappointed with Avengers Disassembled, Finch made some terrible composition choices

jpcarlow wrote: »
    My word was i disappointed with Avengers Disassembled, Finch made some terrible composition choices

Likewise, why can't he draw noses properly? Every member of the Avengers look like they have had theirs broken on numerous occasions, which is extremely likely but it just looks ridiculous.

The story was terrible too, some sh*t happens over the course of 3 and a half issues, Doctor Strange shows up to explain what is going on over the course of three pages, the whole conflict is sorted over the course of three pages.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Likewise, why can't he draw noses properly? Every member of the Avengers look like they have had theirs broken on numerous occasions, which is extremely likely but it just looks ridiculous.

The story was terrible too, some sh*t happens over the course of 3 and a half issues, Doctor Strange shows up to explain what is going on over the course of three pages, the whole conflict is sorted over the course of three pages.
    and as much as i love Doctor Strange, he wasnt utilized properly in this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

meanwhile back in subscriber land I just finished X men Gifted...Really fun little book feels like its not over though, also struggled to finish Captain Britain, !st comic i ever considered not finishing a pile of ****e so twas

• Advertisement

meanwhile back in subscriber land I just finished X men Gifted...Really fun little book feels like its not over though, also struggled to finish Captain Britain, !st comic i ever considered not finishing a pile of ****e so twas
    Hello Brian :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

there is a second volume of astonishing x-men to come to complete that story line.it also took me weeks to finish captain britain,many a time i felt like just throwing it on the shelf and forgetting about it.i think some of the excalibur stories down through the years would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pariah

Any subscribers have there deliveries on a regular basis?

mine are fairly on time now but at the start it was all over the shop

Really enjoyed Morrison's New Xmen this week, a vast improvment on having read Avengers Disassembled

• Advertisement

Bout 2/3rds through Avengers Forever part 1 and although it seems a bit silly , I find myself really enjoying it so far ...Kravens last Hunt to read then looking forward to that one have heard great things bout it

mine are fairly on time now but at the start it was all over the shop

Mine still dont seem to be regular at all :(

New X-Men: The first issue of this book was actually the one which made me give up buying X-men for a few years afterwards, granted Claremont had done a lot damage to the series prior to this with some really bad stories but Morrison with his sh*t really turned me off the book, I hated it. I hated the new uniforms, I hated the fact that most of the mutants hanging around the school now looked like outcasts from The Morlocks, I hated the fact that storylines were now tied up in four to six issues so they could be sold as trades...I liked long developing storylines like who was the 3rd summers brother? Who was the X-traitor? Who was Bastion really?, I hated the fact that the covers of the X-men went from action shots of something that happened, but not quite in the same way inside the comic to pictures of single characters (bar the Emma Frost one).

And 11 years on...............................

I still hate it. The story is standard Morrison stuff, bits of weirdness, convoluted dialogue in places, it just appears that Morrison is writing to entertain himself, which is all well and good in stuff like the Invisibles and his other creator owned work, but X-men has a solid fan base which should be put before self indulgence. All it's missing is Morrison inserting himself into the storyline, although arguments could be made about both Cassandra Nova or Xavier.

On the plus side it's better than Final Crisis, and Quitley's artwork has something about it, I like it and always have but can't quite figure out why, It looks very static but is captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

New X-Men: The first issue of this book was actually the one which made me give up buying X-men for a few years afterwards

I'll give you it was slow to start. But I really enjoyed the New X-men run. It was better than the stories being told in uncanny at the time.

Shame you gave up after 1 issue. As it was pretty solid stuff. The only issue I have with it is that they made Xorn an actually character after it Rather than just something MAGs made up to infiltrate the school.

Quietly was on top form for it. I loved his Sentinels and The Imperial guard arc had some great scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

I loved New X-Men. The X-Men comics had been floundering for years and Morrison came along and gave them a good, hard kick up the arse! That first arc E is for Extinction is brilliant. Clearing the boards, jettisoning crap continuity and going back to basics. It was great, fun comics. The stories and characters actually felt like they mattered again, for the first time in years.

The series did go off the rails a bit towards the end. I loved the character of Xorn and wished Morrison had stuck with him a bit more. I loved the fact that Xaviers became a school again and there were all these punk mutants hanging around and rebelling against the X-Men's way of doing things. Lots of ideas being thrown at the wall to see what sticks. It's a shame Marvel got cold feet and essentially retconned everything once Morrison left.

Reading the Captain Britain story now to see if it was as bad as people had been making it out to be. To put it nicely it's a struggle, especially the opening couple of chapters but it picks up a bit once he gets back to his own reality. The fact that it was originally part of an anthology really hurts the story especially when the first page of every chapter is used to recap on the last chapter but it's also the only way I can get through it, knowing each chapter is only a few pages long.

Alan Davis' art is almost unrecognizable...he really has developed a nice style since this.

On the plus side it features Psylocke.

Reading the Captain Britain story now to see if it was as bad as people had been making it out to be. To put it nicely it's a struggle, especially the opening couple of chapters but it picks up a bit once he gets back to his own reality. The fact that it was originally part of an anthology really hurts the story especially when the first page of every chapter is used to recap on the last chapter but it's also the only way I can get through it, knowing each chapter is only a few pages long.

Alan Davis' art is almost unrecognizable...he really has developed a nice style since this.

On the plus side it features Psylocke.

I actually enjoyed this a bit towards the end...although maybe that was just in comparison to the early part of it.

Still find Moore, alongside Morrison to be one of the most over hyped writers in comics.

i find neil gaimain as over rated as moore and morrison.a few good stories between them but not enough to warrant the reverance they are given.

statomosh wrote: »
    i find neil gaimain as over rated as moore and morrison.a few good stories between them but not enough to warrant the reverance they are given.
    His 1602 work was magnificent

i did say they had a few good stories between them,i think that might be one of the few gaiman stories i liked(and its being reprinted in the graphic novel collection).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

statomosh wrote: »

I re-read Sandman last year. Initially I suspected it wouldn't hold up after all these years but it really, really does. Brilliant stuff and one that very few have lived up to.

As for Moore: From Hell. That is all.

OK, sorry to re-post the same question. But what issue is the series up to now? Had to cancel my subscription. Bought issue 16 - Avengers Disassembled. How far behind am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Pariah wrote: »
    OK, sorry to re-post the same question. But what issue is the series up to now? Had to cancel my subscription. Bought issue 16 - Avengers Disassembled. How far behind am I?

Issue 18 is out this week.

Just finished Secret War and it's yet another issue that suffers from poor writing. Visually it looks great, especially Wolverine and reminds me of the artwork in Slaine when I was growing up. But the writing really lets it down, there is little to no impact felt from the actions of Fury and the superheroes in Latveria, the overall story just feels rushed, and every character talks like a teenage girl in fast forward, with all of them sounding alike. Plus the ending just conveniently comes together with
    Angelina Jolie saving the day.

It's also annoying that the characters Bendis has a hard on for appear in everything he writes, Wolverine, Daredevil and Luke Cage in this case. Echo, Sentry etc in others.

Born+Again.jpg
    I enjoyed the hell out of this weeks

What have people thought of the last few weeks?

She hulk? Marvel Zombies?

Thwip! wrote: »
    What have people thought of the last few weeks?

She hulk? Marvel Zombies?

I am still on Avengers forever part II from when it was released, it really is a struggle.....even Carlos Pacheco cannot save it. It might even rank lower than Captain Britain.:eek:

I am still on Avengers forever part II from when it was released, it really is a struggle.....even Carlos Pacheco cannot save it. It might even rank lower than Captain Britain.:eek:
    I enjoyed it tbh...was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then i read both again together and for me it works....cant be worse than Cap Britain or Disassembled

Thwip! wrote: »
    I enjoyed it tbh...was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then i read both again together and for me it works....cant be worse than Cap Britain or Disassembled

It could benefit from another read but right now the thought of that is very off putting. Any series that has to dedicate nearly two full issues to exposition is doing something wrong.

• Advertisement

It could benefit from another read but right now the thought of that is very off putting. Any series that has to dedicate nearly two full issues to exposition is doing something wrong.
    ah read it again, it's actually decent... i had problems with Marvel Zombies though, bored me a little

Advertisement