Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MrStuffins wrote: »
    To be fair, you're right. He gave reasons as to why he lost and not excuses.

I was wrong here.

Jesus someone admitting they're wrong on the internet, someone frame this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Still Ill wrote: »
    So there's no way he could possibly beat him in a rematch? MMA doesn't work like that.
    Cormier beat Stipe because he's better?
    Stipe beat Cormier because he's better?

Ya when cornier beat stipe he was better = he won
    And in the rematches stipe was better so = he won.
    Fighters adapt/change.

"So there's no way he could possibly beat him in a rematch? MMA doesn't work like that"

Strawman? Or are you having a conversation with yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Still Ill

JJayoo wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics in this thread. McG only lost because (insert excuse).

He lost because Dustin dustin is better pretty simple really.

McG doesn't need people to come up with excuses he is perfectly capable of making up his own excuses
    Ya when cornier beat stipe he was better = he won
    And in the rematches stipe was better so = he won.
    Fighters adapt/change.

"So there's no way he could possibly beat him in a rematch? MMA doesn't work like that"

Strawman? Or are you having a conversation with yourself?

What are you even talking about? I was replying to the fact you said he lost because Dustin is better. I was pointing out that people weren't making excuses, they were discussing where he went wrong. I was using the Cormier v Miocic analogy to highlight that just because you lose to someone doesn't necessarily mean you're worse than someone. Two fighters could fight ten times and end up 5-5.
    Why don't you think it's possible for McGregor to adapt/change and what's your problem with people discussing how he can adapt?

Why don't you think it's possible for McGregor to adapt/change and what's your problem with people discussing how he can adapt?

Is that you Cathy?

Seriously what's with all the strawman arguments?

I said dustin is better and that is true until Mcgregor beats him or beats a fighter ranked higher than dustin.

Is that you Cathy?

Seriously what's with all the strawman arguments?

I said dustin is better and that is true until Mcgregor beats him or beats a fighter ranked higher than dustin.

No problem with you thinking he's better. He may well be. I hope Poirier beats him in a rematch. I feel like his dedication to the sport over the last few years deserves it over McGregor.
    Just didn't get your point regarding people discussing where McGregor went wrong and what gameplan changes he could implement in a rematch amounted to 'mental gymnastics' and making excuses. That, coupled with the fact you said that Poirier won simply because he is better, I took that to mean you didn't believe McGregor could win a rematch. No strawman there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    In fairness, I heard him give reasons why he lost, as opposed to excuses.

Spot on. I said the same post fight when people where talking about excses.
    Saying "this is what happened" is not an excuse. It's a
    What are you even talking about? I was replying to the fact you said he lost because Dustin is better. I was pointing out that people weren't making excuses, they were discussing where he went wrong.

But there actually have been a number of excuses rolled out here since the fight.

He gassed/his cardio
    He stance is all wrong since the Mayweather fight
    He had no gameplan/corner were unable to address the leg kicks
    He's surrounded by yes men who didn't train him well
    Years of partying, he is shot
    Silk pajamas and yachts, etc

Jayroo was just saying that Dustin won because he was better on the night. That doesn't imply that he would always be better.

Mellor wrote: »

But there actually have been a number of excuses rolled out here since the fight.

He gassed/his cardio
    He stance is all wrong since the Mayweather fight
    He had no gameplan/corner were unable to address the leg kicks
    He's surrounded by yes men who didn't train him well
    Years of partying, he is shot
    Silk pajamas and yachts, etc

Jayroo was just saying that Dustin won because he was better on the night. That doesn't imply that he would always be better.

He didn't say better on the night. He said Dustin won because he is better.

None of them are excuses. All those things are under his control. If any of them affected him, it's on him. You don't have to agree that any of them contributed to his loss, but they're not excuses. An excuse is something that lessens the blame on an individual.

He didn't say better on the night. He said Dustin won because he is better
    Kinda getting into the semantics of past/present tense there. But let's roll with it.

Dustin was better than Conor on the night, <4 weeks ago.
    Given the injury to Conor's leg, and the medical suspension. I'm confident in saying that Dustin is still better than Conor right now, the 19th Feb.

If he will still be better in 6/12/18 months. Who knows. But Dustin IS better than Conor (present tense).
    None of them are excuses. All those things are under his control. If any of them affected him, it's on him. You don't have to agree that any of them contributed to his loss, but they're not excuses. An excuse is something that lessens the blame on an individual.
    The point is that these are not things that Conor has said or thinks. These are convoluted reasons that people have invented. That may/may not reflect what actually happened in the cage.

We can discuss the fight and why we think Dustin was better. But it's a bit more useful if its based on what happened imo.

Kinda getting into the semantics of past/present tense there. But let's roll with it.

Dustin was better than Conor on the night, <4 weeks ago.
    Given the injury to Conor's leg, and the medical suspension. I'm confident in saying that Dustin is still better than Conor right now, the 19th Feb.

If he will still be better in 6/12/18 months. Who knows. But Dustin IS better than Conor (present tense).

The point is that these are not things that Conor has said or thinks. These are convoluted reasons that people have invented. That may/may not reflect what actually happened in the cage.

We can discuss the fight and why we think Dustin was better. But it's a bit more useful if its based on what happened imo.

Has anyone even said Dustin wasn't better on the night here? The part of his post I took issue with is that he accused people of mental gymnastics and coming up with excuses, when all people were doing was discussing where things potentially went wrong and what he could do to remedy it. It seemed unnecessary to criticise people for doing this.

What's your point here? I'm not even sure any of what you mentioned is convoluted in the slightest and as you seem to agree now they're certainly not excuses. Not having a gameplan or changing the stance that won him two titles is convoluted? We're on a Conor McGregor thread. What do you suggest people talk about?

My point was that your argument (below) was completely pulled out of thin air;
    That wasn't claimed or implied. It was clear, to me at least, that it as an "on the night statement".

After the fight they're have been some fairly convoluted assessments.
    My post was a quick generic list I typed in seconds. Wasn't attempt to list them all or single out anyone specifically. Some of them were peddled as an excuse - blaming the team not Conor is an excuse by the definition you posted.
    We're on a Conor McGregor thread. What do you suggest people talk about?
    Not sure what you're getting at here.

• Advertisement

I'll refer back to the initial statement..
    The mental gymnastics in this thread. McG only lost because (insert excuse).

He lost because Dustin dustin is better pretty simple really.

McG doesn't need people to come up with excuses he is perfectly capable of making up his own excuses

There was merit to the discussions people were having regarding the reasons (not excuses :rolleyes:) for the loss. For McGregor to improve and win a rematch he needs to look at his preparations for this fight and how he performed on the night. Therefore, it's valid for us to look back at the preparations and execution on the night. The only reason it would be pointless is if there was no way he can change/adapt in order to win. If we all agree that it's possible, why refer to it as mental gymnastics?

My point was that your argument (below) was completely pulled out of thin air;

That wasn't claimed or implied. It was clear, to me at least, that it as an "on the night statement".

After the fight they're have been some fairly convoluted assessments.
    My post was a quick generic list I typed in seconds. Wasn't attempt to list them all or single out anyone specifically. Some of them were peddled as an excuse - blaming the team not Conor is an excuse by the definition you posted.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

He's responsible for picking his team/corner. That's on him. He's responsible for all that's in his control. Some examples of excuses might be that he was carrying an injury into the fight, he was ill, bad refereeing or an early stoppage. I haven't seen anything like that for this fight.

Therefore, it's valid for us to look back at the preparations and execution on the night.
    I think that was quite clearly not the tyoe if discussion he was referring to. But I guess Jayroo will have to confirm.
    He's responsible for picking his team/corner. That's on him. He's responsible for all that's in his control. Some examples of excuses might be that he was carrying an injury into the fight, he was ill, bad refereeing or an early stoppage. I haven't seen anything like that for this fight.
    So Conor blaming John Kavanagh, rather than himself would not be an excuse?
    I think you are taking a acute view of what an excuse is. I disagree. Blaming another person is an excuse. But I'm not really interested in going in circles on it. I'm out.

I think that was quite clearly not the tyoe if discussion he was referring to. But I guess Jayroo will have to confirm.

So Conor blaming John Kavanagh, rather than himself would not be an excuse?
    I think you are taking a acute view of what an excuse is. I disagree. Blaming another person is an excuse. But I'm not really interested in going in circles on it. I'm out.

JJ was referring to people in this thread when he used the term mental gymnastics that I took issue with. If someone here suggested he lost because he surrounded himself with yes men, that'd be on Conor for doing so.

Obviously, if Conor went and blamed John Kavanagh he'd be making an excuse, but that was never relevant to anything I've said or even anything that Conor said. For you to accuse me of pulling stuff out of thin air and getting into semantics you sure seem to be doing a bit of that yourself there. No idea where you've pulled that one from or how you think it might be relevant.

Obviously, if Conor went and blamed John Kavanagh he'd be making an excuse, but that was never relevant to anything I've said or even anything that Conor said.

It was the excuses on thread that were mentioned, not Conor’s. People here have used that one. Hence the comment.

The out of thin air was in relation to “saying Conor could never beat Dustin”. You mentioned it a few times. I don’t remember anyone saying that.

It was the excuses on thread that were mentioned, not Conor’s. People here have used that one. Hence the comment.

The out of thin air was in relation to “saying Conor could never beat Dustin”. You mentioned it a few times. I don’t remember anyone saying that.

So why are you bringing up a complete hypothetical of Conor blaming his corner? Completely irrelevant to anything that I've mentioned.
    I've explained why I asked him if he didn't think it was possible for Conor to beat Dustin. It was because he seemed intent on criticising people here for discussing where he went wrong and how he could remedy that in a rematch.

If someone thought he should move to a new gym or his corner aren't up to scratch, it's on Conor to do so. They may have a point, they may not. It's worth discussing in a McGregor thread. You were wrong about people making excuses. It's ok to let one go for once, Mellor.

So why are you bringing up a complete hypothetical of Conor blaming his corner? Completely irrelevant to anything that I've mentioned.

You said corner blaming is not an excuse because it's his control.
    He's responsible for picking his team/corner. That's on him. He's responsible for all that's in his control.

As in his corner, his control, his fault, so doesn't count as an excuse and it doesn't lessens the blame?
    There's a name for that sort of logic...

You said corner blaming is not an excuse because it's his control.

As in his corner, his control, his fault, so doesn't count as an excuse and it doesn't lessens the blame?
    There's a name for that sort of logic...

There's clearly a difference between someone on the internet saying he surrounds himself with yes men who aren't up to scratch and Conor coming out and blaming his corner for a loss. If you don't see that I don't know what to say..

You seem to have discarded all the other things you mistakenly claimed people were using as excuses and distilled it down to this one ridiculously petty technicality that you yourself have pulled out of thin air.

Still 3 you seem to be taking this very personally are you a recent convert to Mcgregor's ballsack?

Still 3 you seem to be taking this very personally are you a recent convert to Mcgregor's ballsack?

Haha.. Just replying to the posts directed at me! Nothing personal at all. No, don't even like him, believe it or not! Used to be a fan, but just can't like him anymore. I'm pretty sure I've said as much here before. I was delighted for Dustin when he won. Thoroughly deserved. GL, man.. Didn't mean to criticise you - just thought your comment was a bit harsh on what I found to be a reasonable discussion. Would've kept my mouth shut if I'd known it'd turn into a four day debate! :pac:

Sounds like something you'd hear out of edgy teenagers in a schoolyard :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sounds like something you'd hear out of edgy teenagers in a schoolyard :rolleyes:

Stop hanging around schools ya weirdo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Stop hanging around schools ya weirdo

Mod: Not sure why you would think your last two posts are appropriate carry on here. Let's not have any more of that kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I miss the old trash talking McGregor, you guys are entertaining but its just not the same.

Doff wrote: »
    I miss the old trash talking McGregor, you guys are entertaining but its just not the same.

Being accused off assault and rape seems to have a calming affect on McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JJayoo wrote:
    Lol, I suspect you don't be lasting long here.

Please people do not bite, that's all he's looking for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Banned for a week for ignoring the multiple warnings on the thread and in the title along with your most recent infractions.

You have been told enough times people - MMA talk only.

Back on topic...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116104921&postcount=5993

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

https://youtu.be/Yo9PWLbCjEs
    Go to 11.30mins
    Seems like an expert on the subject. Funny how he couldn't coach an elite fighter to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Walking along the quays in dublin city centre yesterday and mcgregor just casually jogged past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Macdarack wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Yo9PWLbCjEs
    Go to 11.30mins
    Seems like an expert on the subject. Funny how he couldn't coach an elite fighter to defend it.

Even funnier after the fight Conor said 'Me leg' Kavangah said your left knee? No coach how about the right calf that was being kicked all fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

There shouldn't be a rematch any time soon, and it definitely shouldn't be for a title.

Advertisement