Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Didn't Khabib put up a picture like this last time too? I could have sworn he did and then it went wrong at the end.

Hopefully it goes OK as I just want to see him fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He looks trim, still gonna be a real hard weight cut. When your kidney gives out, I don’t really think shedding some body fat is gonna make that much difference. Long term he’s gonna need to move up i think. He walks around at over 200 lb, he’d be a decent size WW but he wouldn’t be able to bully people like he does now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That photo also looks like someone photoshopped Khabibs head on to Artems body. And forgot to scale the size of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Lukker- wrote: »
    He looks trim, still gonna be a real hard weight cut. When your kidney gives out, I don’t really think shedding some body fat is gonna make that much difference. Long term he’s gonna need to move up i think. He walks around at over 200 lb, he’d be a decent size WW but he wouldn’t be able to bully people like he does now
    Exactly, he is 5ft 10in, Woodley is 5ft 9in but no way would he get Tyron down as easily as he has with the lighweights so far. Not to mention Thompson or Till etc.. Out of the top 15 I think he could ragdoll Cowboy, Gamebred & Dos Anjos (who he fought at lightweight) and that's it.

Speaking of Cerrone he is staying at welterweight despite saying he was going back to lightweight. He is headlining a February 18 Fight Night against Yancy Medeiros. Quick turnaround for Yancy after his war with Oliveira a few weeks ago. Crazy guy! I fear for Donald, I'm not sure how much what's left of his body can take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

no 219 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tigger wrote: »
    no 219 thread?

Done, I even remembered the poll this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have given Rogan's MMA specific podcast a go over the last month or so. Each successive one has become more and more like the regular bull****, pseudo-intellectual JRE podcast. Latest one is with both Callen and Schaub and just descends into nonsense over topics such as net neutrality, Black Lives Matter etc.

Schaub is a bit dim but I find him generally harmless and borderline likeable. Rogan and Callen are just absolute morons. Reasonably smart guys with inflated opinions of their own genius waffling on about subjects they know **** all about. If you have an MMA show, stick to MMA ffs. Or at least combat sports. A good start would not be inviting Bryan ****ing Callen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Have given Rogan's MMA surgidos podcast a go over the last month or. Each successive one has become more and more like the regular bull****, pseudo-intellectual JRE podcast. Latest one is with both Callen and Schaub and just descends into nonsense over topics such as net neutrality, Black Lives Matter etc.

Schaub is a bit dim but I find him generally harmless and borderline likeable. Rogan and Callen are just absolute morons. Reasonably smart guys with inflated opinions of their own genius waffling on about subjects they know **** all about. If you have an MMA show, stick to MMA ffs. Or at least combat sports. A good start would not be inviting Bryan ****ing Callen on it.
    https://streamable.com/1hrxo
    Top class analysis from the lads.

"So you're intrigued by this?"

Hahaha, perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have given Rogan's MMA specific podcast a go over the last month or so. Each successive one has become more and more like the regular bull****, pseudo-intellectual JRE podcast. Latest one is with both Callen and Schaub and just descends into nonsense over topics such as net neutrality, Black Lives Matter etc.

Haven't listened to it all but he'd Eddie Bravo on recently and seemed to be having a decent discussion.

Callen is a fool though, everything he does on fight companions eventually descends to him putting on a camp voice and talking faux-pretentiously about wine/cheese/muscle parts, shít like 'Oh yeah, this Bordeaux is working wonders, loosening up my glutes, oh yeah my gluuuuutes, gettin' nice and loose for you boys'

The Eddie Bravo one was decent but they still veered off at times into his favoured conspiracy theory nonsense. The Justin Wren and Stipe ones were also half decent but similarly went off on tangents all over the place.

This one was just shocking though. Schaub even posted it with a caption of "not much fight talk" or similar. Absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bryan Callen is one of the worst working comedians in America, how he gets gigs at all is a mystery to me, the fact that when he does they tend to be small clubs in the middle of nowhere is telling. He's a **** actor who tried to use standup as a way of supplementing his income and is absolutely blessed that he has friends who help keep him in gigs. He only landed the gig on the Goldberg's because of TFATK and that only happened because Rogan have Schaub and Callen a platform.

The only thing worst than his standup is when he's on a podcast and starts regurgitating half remembered ideas from ted talks he watched in YouTube pretending he understands the issues he's butchering. The man is a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I think the trick is to be as stoned as they are while watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

USADA all but packing in the testing as soon as they hit their targets:

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/946203133885247488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Nothing about that post suggests that they stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Drug testing in sport is useless. The big sports (soccer/nfl/NBA etc) barely test and in track and field, what do they have, 2% of tested athletes failing where nearly 50% have admitted doping in anonymous surveys.

Just like the war on drugs in the US, the war on sports doping is a failure and is nothing more than the organisation's covering themselves and saying they're trying to keep it 'clean'. High level sport never was clean and it never will be.

Bryan Callen is one of the worst working comedians in America, how he gets gigs at all is a mystery to me, the fact that when he does they tend to be small clubs in the middle of nowhere is telling. He's a **** actor who tried to use standup as a way of supplementing his income and is absolutely blessed that he has friends who help keep him in gigs. He only landed the gig on the Goldberg's because of TFATK and that only happened because Rogan have Schaub and Callen a platform.

The only thing worst than his standup is when he's on a podcast and starts regurgitating half remembered ideas from ted talks he watched in YouTube pretending he understands the issues he's butchering. The man is a moron.

Whats even more infuriating is when Schaub calls Callen "the funniest man on the planet", talks about working with one of the greatest etc.

I was listening to the podcast a while ago and Callen went on a rant because he spent his own money producing his stand up special with the hopes that Netflix/whoever would buy it....... No one gave any interest and he went on a rant how "I work so hard and Im so funny but no one gives me the credit I deserve".

To be fair Rogan isn't a great comedian either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Callen had the same jokes for years (probably still does). Rogan shamed him on his podcast years back about it and then he started waffling on about how he's always writing blah blah blah. He's a low level actor who likes to pontificate like lots of actors about how intellectual/socially aware they are. When in reality they are neither.

I'd guess Callen and lots of other comedians hate Schaub because of the success he's having quickly. Wouldn't be a huge fan myself but he's done extremely well since leaving fighting and as said on here he comes across as a good guy and doesn't get preachy like Callen etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Callen and Rogen are both shocking comedians but i enjoys joe's commentary and podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bryan Callen is a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rizin 8 on now. Apparently it's free streaming.

Rizin 8 on now. Apparently it's free streaming.
    Ah sure what's the point now that Gabi Garcia's fight has been taken off the card? :P

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bryan Callen is a hero.

Trolling has really gone downhill in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    USADA all but packing in the testing as soon as they hit their targets:

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/946203133885247488
    Testing costs money. They have a budget for the year and when it's hit, it makes sense that they stop.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Drug testing in sport is useless. The big sports (soccer/nfl/NBA etc) barely test and in track and field, what do they have, 2% of tested athletes failing where nearly 50% have admitted doping in anonymous surveys..
    Not sure how either of those points equates to testing being useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Can anyone shed any light on how Ian McCall managed to get himself released from his UFC contract, allowing him to sign with Rizin??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

John_D80 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on how Ian McCall managed to get himself released from his UFC contract, allowing him to sign with Rizin??

He has problems with his brain and went to them and said he wants 100k a fight or he wont fight so they granted him his release, seems to be the gist I got off JRE etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ASOT wrote: »
    John_D80 wrote: »

He has problems with his brain and went to them and said he wants 100k a fight or he wont fight so they released him seems to be the gist i got off JRE etc
    After some of the crazy sh*t he came out with recently I imagine the UFC were only too happy to sever ties with him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

dulux99 wrote: »
    After some of the crazy sh*t he came out with recently I imagine the UFC were only too happy to sever ties with him

Yep he doesnt seem in the best place mentally or physically. Hes an absolute hero though, had a lot of time for people in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's the story did he lose by cutting his head on the ring ropes last night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement