Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sociology a real science?

• 04-08-2020 9:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭

My other half studied sociology up to a masters level, and maintains that it isn’t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I studied it for years, and yes it is.
    It has been taken over by politics (even when I studied the subject it was extremely leftist).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's a proper, respectable discipline alright, but as Biko points out it's been largely railroaded by American-style "identity politics" buffa-biscuit.

It's a social science, based on surveys and observations. Is it in the same league as astrophysics. No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

biko wrote: »
    I studied it for years, and yes it is.
    It has been taken over by politics (even when I studied the subject it was extremely leftist).

She did use a lack of objectivity as her main argument, so I’m assuming that’s what she meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It's a social science, based on surveys and observations. Is it in the same league as astrophysics. No.

There is a league of sciences?
    What is top of these rankings?

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »

The Science of Literalism. Literally.

A graduate yourself, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was always seen as an “easy” subject to take on for first year for anyone doing a “wishy-washy” Arts degree in UCD back in my day.

Has that changed at all?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes.

Maths -> Physics -> the other phyiscal ones -> the social ones -> economics -> psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

She did use a lack of objectivity as her main argument, so I’m assuming that’s what she meant.

Your girlfriends opinion on whether it is or it isn’t science is hardly objective either, is it?

It’s one of the sciences alright, but like any discipline or subject, it’s corrupted by human influence.

It’s a well observed phenomenon btw since the inception of the social sciences. It’s only in recent decades however, ironically due to the rising popularity of the social sciences, that it’s become more noticeable -

The over-sampling of American college students may be skewing our understanding of human behavior, finds an analysis by researchers from the University of British Columbia. In a forthcoming issue of Brain and Behavioral Sciences, anthropologist Joe Henrich, PhD, and psychologists Steven Heine, PhD, and Ara Norenzayan, PhD, review the available database of comparative social and behavioral science studies. They found that people from Western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic (WEIRD) societies — who represent as much as 80 percent of study participants, but only 12 percent of the world’s population — are not only unrepresentative of humans as a species, but on many measures they’re outliers.

Are your findings ‘WEIRD’?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In some parts of the world yes. In Ireland with our class of academics, not so much. I'm sure we have one or two standouts in the field but we've some real time wasters too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Obviously maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Obviously maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, it's an 'ology', innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

https://xkcd.com/435/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maths isn't a science

Your girlfriends opinion on whether it is or it isn’t science is hardly objective either, is it?

It’s one of the sciences alright, but like any discipline or subject, it’s corrupted by human influence.

It’s a well observed phenomenon btw since the inception of the social sciences. It’s only in recent decades however, ironically due to the rising popularity of the social sciences, that it’s become more noticeable -

The over-sampling of American college students may be skewing our understanding of human behavior, finds an analysis by researchers from the University of British Columbia. In a forthcoming issue of Brain and Behavioral Sciences, anthropologist Joe Henrich, PhD, and psychologists Steven Heine, PhD, and Ara Norenzayan, PhD, review the available database of comparative social and behavioral science studies. They found that people from Western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic (WEIRD) societies — who represent as much as 80 percent of study participants, but only 12 percent of the world’s population — are not only unrepresentative of humans as a species, but on many measures they’re outliers.

Are your findings ‘WEIRD’?

How can an individuals opinion be anything other than subjective? However I dare say having studied the subject to a masters level, her opinion is fairly valid.

Maths isn't a science

Maths follows a rigorous structure of events leading to a tentative conclusion, so I would say it’s certainly more of a science than sociology.

If a area of study is longer (much longer) on soft theory than it is on evidence - as is the case with sociology, I don't consider it science as I define the term. Same with subjects like psychology.

That doesn't mean I don't consider them worthwhile academic pursuits, they clearly are.

How can an individuals opinion be anything other than subjective? However I dare say having studied the subject to a masters level, her opinion is fairly valid.

That’s exactly my point. Your girlfriends opinions are subjective, but that being true says nothing about whether sociology itself is objective. Having studied the subject to Masters level doesn’t make her opinions on whether sociology is a science or not any more or less valid than anyone else’s - opinions are still subjective.

The science of sociology itself, is objective, however it’s influenced by humans subjective opinions based upon their own observations. I wouldn’t agree with you that because a person has a Masters in sociology they’re qualified to determine whether the discipline is a science or not. It’s simply the case that it is objective, no matter how your girlfriend feels about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I have an undergraduate degree in physics, a masters in economics, and a PhD that had elements of social science and sociology.

Those of you who think of sociology as not being a science are completely wrong. Ok, it's very different than physics but the social sciences simply cannot use the same approaches as the hard sciences - just because this is the case it does not make them any less valid.

The OP suggests that the hard sciences are free from subjectivity. Many academics carrying out statistical analysis don't have statistical training and often time results may be misinterpreted, or worse manipulated or p-hacked.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly my point. Your girlfriends opinions are subjective, but that being true says nothing about whether sociology itself is objective. Having studied the subject to Masters level doesn’t make her opinions on whether sociology is a science or not any more or less valid than anyone else’s - opinions are still subjective.

The science of sociology itself, is objective, however it’s influenced by humans subjective opinions based upon their own observations. I wouldn’t agree with you that because a person has a Masters in sociology they’re qualified to determine whether the discipline is a science or not. It’s simply the case that it is objective, no matter how your girlfriend feels about it.

But this isn’t about someone’s opinion, the thread wasn’t called “Is my partner right?”. I’ve no idea why your chasing this line.

But this isn’t about someone’s opinion, the thread wasn’t called “Is my partner right?”. I’ve no idea why your chasing this line.

I’m chasing it precisely because the question you asked was “Is sociology a real science?” and gave your girlfriends opinion that it isn’t, as though she is in a position to make that determination based upon the fact that she has a Masters in sociology.

Your question relates closer to philosophy than sociology, but that’s a whole other discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

endacl wrote: »
    Like astrology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

TCD Business Economics and Social studies.. not even they have the Chutzpah to call is social "science"

I’m chasing it precisely because the question you asked was “Is sociology a real science?” and gave your girlfriends opinion that it isn’t, as though she is in a position to make that determination based upon the fact that she has a Masters in sociology.

Your question relates closer to philosophy than sociology, but that’s a whole other discussion.

No I don’t think you understood the question correctly, nor have you answered it effectively.

No I don’t think you understood the question correctly, nor have you answered it effectively.

Ok then, cheers, I’ll leave you to it so.

Ok then, cheers, I’ll leave you to it so.

Good, that’s for the best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maths follows a rigorous structure of events leading to a tentative conclusion, so I would say it’s certainly more of a science than sociology.

And that's what makes it a science? What's your understanding of a real science then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

endacl wrote: »

Jesus that's an obscure one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And that's what makes it a science? What's your understanding of a real science then?

Some say that mathematics isn't a science because it doesn't rely on empirical evidence. Others, like Gauss, would have it quite the contrary, that mathematics is queen, mother, grandmother and dotty Auntie Mildred who has way too many cats of the sciences. I suspect we won't solve it satisfactorily here. :pac:

Advertisement