Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction Ban extended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

If the landlords were open to giving a third party that power, (amongst all the other benefits you listed), I think it only fair that that inspector also supplies a min/max/average area price information to the tenant, and to advise on what price the inspected accommodation should be.

That is fair. Although since it’s a new let, the ll has the right to charge a rate based on rpz regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A n inspector deciding on market rates or setting them - queue nepotism, cronyism and communism at its best.

Fol20 wrote: »
    That is fair. Although since it’s a new let, the ll has the right to charge a rate based on rpz regs.

I agree

A n inspector deciding on market rates or setting them - queue nepotism, cronyism and communism at its best.

In that case, it would be public info and subject to appeal from a member of public.

It actually frustrates me that when you see an ad that advertises below min standards accommodation, no complaint can be lodged by anyone, except the leasee.

As for your communist comment...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

As I said - cronyism and communism.

Alot of people shouod just be done with it and roll back the clock to the 1980’s and move to
    communist Russia - the dysfunctional utopia they aspire to creating here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

As I said - cronyism and communism.

Alot of people shouod just be done with it and roll back the clock to the 1980’s and move to
    communist Russia - the dysfunctional utopia they aspire to creating here.
    If you ask anyone who is looking to rent there is nothing out there getting a 2008 standard is difficult and to secure a viewing for the average income earner.

the market interference is choking supply and increasing rent which is 50% tax good for revenue from our indigenous LL but while a shameful discount to reits
    The eviction ban which threshold want permanent maybe the final nail in the private rental market which is a communists dream
    Their are even clowns on here discussing registering door bells

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If you ask anyone who is looking to rent there is nothing out there getting a 2008 standard is difficult and to secure a viewing for the average income earner.

the market interference is choking supply and increasing rent which is 50% tax good for revenue from our indigenous LL but while a shameful discount to reits
    The eviction ban which threshold want permanent maybe the final nail in the private rental market which is a communists dream
    Their are even clowns on here discussing registering door bells

I looked every day for 3 weeks solid. Finally gave up and staying where I am.
    It might be easy to find a rental elsewhere in the country but I caouldnt get one in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I looked every day for 3 weeks solid. Finally gave up and staying where I am.
    It might be easy to find a rental elsewhere in the country but I caouldnt get one in Dublin

Under current legislation I wouldn't dream of renting out a house I had any intention of selling in the next 5 years.

Any landlord bringing an empty house on to the market right now is a fool.
    Ironically we've never needed supply more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Fol20 wrote: »
    mind you the whole premise of this is that the dopoait interest would pay the wages of the people that inspect and mediate the process.

You have to be joking. Deposit interest for large sums is now negative. No way are you going to support an army of bureaucrats on deposit interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Eviction Ban has been extended until July 20th

and possibly will be extended further ......due to political interests and games

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-big-read-rents-will-be-frozen-and-evictions-banned-as-parties-in-final-play-for-power-39302355.html

Just out of curiosity and something most people probably know but I don't:( I cant find the answer so looking for a bit of help here please (Mods, think it was posted in wrong place earlier but please move if another forum is appropriate).

The Covid RTA emergency measures was for 3 months from 27 Mar and can be extended by the government "....from time to time, by order extend the emergency period for such period as they consider appropriate..."
    How does that work? Is an Order the same as a Statutory Instrument or is it just an announcement made by the government?

The rent/termination freeze seems to be extended but when did it happen? Was it the announcement read out in the daily briefing from the last taoiseach on 22 June. If that's an Order, the government can make as many announcements as they like to keep extending the finish date.

AFAIR, they had to pass legislation to extend the RPZ timeframe and the areas covered by the RPZ rules before the original date finished.

Is this different or is the freeze finished since 27th June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

Just out of curiosity and something most people probably know but I don't:( I cant find the answer so looking for a bit of help here please (Mods, think it was posted in wrong place earlier but please move if another forum is appropriate).

The Covid RTA emergency measures was for 3 months from 27 Mar and can be extended by the government "....from time to time, by order extend the emergency period for such period as they consider appropriate..."
    How does that work? Is an Order the same as a Statutory Instrument or is it just an announcement made by the government?

The rent/termination freeze seems to be extended but when did it happen? Was it the announcement read out in the daily briefing from the last taoiseach on 22 June. If that's an Order, the government can make as many announcements as they like to keep extending the finish date.

AFAIR, they had to pass legislation to extend the RPZ timeframe and the areas covered by the RPZ rules before the original date finished.

From Eoghan Murphy
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2020-06-16a.2837&s=eviction#g2838.q

"Under the legislation, the process for any extension of the 3 month COVID-19 emergency period involves the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government requesting the Government to make an Order, having consulted with the Minister for Health and with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform. The Government must consider it appropriate and be satisfied that it is in the public interest to extend the emergency period having regard to:

- the threat to public health;

- the highly contagious nature of COVID-19; and

- the need to restrict the movement of persons to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The consideration of whether to request the Government to make an Order to extend the emergency period is ongoing and any subsequent request to Government will be made at the appropriate time and in accordance with the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Act 2020.

It is not possible to amend the provisions of the Act at this time."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I assume it has been extended by government order:
    The emergency legislation takes effect from 27 March 2020 and continues until 20 July 2020. This period can be extended by Government Order, if necessary.
    https://www.rtb.ie/covid-19-emergency-legislation-for-rental-sector

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Graham wrote: »
    I assume it has been extended by government order:

https://www.rtb.ie/covid-19-emergency-legislation-for-rental-sector

I assumed that too after reading different reports but the RTB site says

On Friday, the Government agreed to make an Order to extend the emergency period during which rent increases and tenancy terminations (in all but limited and exceptional cases) are prohibited. The emergency period will be extended to 20 July 2020.

New Minister said on radio earlier that he has consulted the AG about extending the freeze. So it looks like it hasn't been extended yet and finished on 27June. Thats what I'm trying to understand. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

I assumed that too after reading different reports but the RTB site says

On Friday, the Government agreed to make an Order to extend the emergency period during which rent increases and tenancy terminations (in all but limited and exceptional cases) are prohibited. The emergency period will be extended to 20 July 2020.

New Minister said on radio earlier that he has consulted the AG about extending the freeze. So it looks like it hasn't been extended yet and finished on 27June. Thats what I'm trying to understand. :confused:

This is a very interesting point. where can I find the radio talk? Perhaps the new Minister referred to extending the freeze past 20th of July?

RTB also say : "The emergency legislation takes effect from 27 March 2020 and continues until 20 July 2020. This period can be extended by Government Order, if necessary." https://www.rtb.ie/covid-19-emergency-legislation-for-rental-sector?fbclid=IwAR1EVFToJCGSYKYCgDEnD1W1marOrzO8h69bQjQdh8imXXH7OvcMf2UNC44

why would RTB have this posted on the website if the freeze was not officially extended yet until the 20th of July?

curiousminds - i just heard him on rte, Sarah McInerney and you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

We have the neighbors from hell renting next door to us. We have been to the RTB twice and the last time she was warned by them this was her last chance. Since than there has many parties and ABOS served on her and the land lord serving her six months notice. But due to Covid that notice stoped on March 27 th and she is still causing havoc.
    Only tonight the Guards called and asked to see my phone as she made a repot that I was filming kids. Needlessly to say there was noting on my phone but my 11 year old son on my wife lookin on while this was happening. The land does not care he gets his rent as he says they are on HAP. I am at my wits end is there anything I can do any advice please.

I work front line and I have 24 hours work over the next 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

Sorry for your situation we are becoming the land where victims are worth less
    Wouldn't assume the LL getting paid here, current regs insure he has no control over the tenancy while she trashes the place knowing she will just end up with another new place eventually.

Sorry for your situation we are becoming the land where victims are worth less
    Wouldn't assume the LL getting paid here, current regs insure he has no control over the tenancy while she trashes the place knowing she will just end up with another new place eventually.

The LL fought for her in the RTP hearing's so I dont have much sympathy for him as he had ample opportunity to move her on but did not take the opportunity.

But I hear all the time mixing social housing and private when you are in a situation like mine its horrendous. The council won't even discuss the HAP payment due to GDPR and dont want to know about it.

Even the auctioneer I contacted regarding me selling my home said while they are next door he would find it difficult to get a good price " unless the council are interested to purchased it for social housing" .
    So where do you go now must go to work a 12 hour shift life can be so on fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

blowin3 wrote: »
    We have the neighbors from hell renting next door to us. We have been to the RTB twice and the last time she was warned by them this was her last chance. Since than there has many parties and ABOS served on her and the land lord serving her six months notice. But due to Covid that notice stoped on March 27 th and she is still causing havoc.
    Only tonight the Guards called and asked to see my phone as she made a repot that I was filming kids. Needlessly to say there was noting on my phone but my 11 year old son on my wife lookin on while this was happening. The land does not care he gets his rent as he says they are on HAP. I am at my wits end is there anything I can do any advice please.

Are they making noise indoors and outdoors during their parties? Is it was just indoors you'd have a hope of soundproofing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All you can do is continue to make 3rd party complaints to the RTB- and log absolutely everything with An Garda Síochána. The fact that they are alleging you are illegally filming children- is an appalling abuse of Garda time- and you deserve to have this recorded as a vexatious complaint against you with the Gardaí to disprove it. Aside from anything else- you're frontline and may need Garda clearance at some stage- having a complaint like this hanging over you- would influence the granting of such clearance. She crossed the line with that particular complaint- and needs to have the riot act read to her over it.

Also- with respect of the landlord- he/she is screwed no matter what they do. They cannot evict the tenant, even because of their anti-social behaviour- at the moment. If they do anything at all- the tenant will end up getting their HAP yanked- and then the landlord doesn't even get the rent.

I'd strongly encourage you to continue to log 3rd party complaints with the RTB though- and to encourage other neighbours to do so too.

Unfortunately- the system is setup to protect the tenant at all costs- from everyone- and the only one who will get any punishment- is the landlord (all the while people like you have to put up or shut up).

Its a stupid system- and the only way you can highlight how stupid it is- is by continuing to log official complaints- which should be properly documented- with the RTB.

For now- get the Gardaí to confirm that they investigated the complaint against you- found you innocent, and have closed the case- as it could have work related implications for you.

All you can do is continue to make 3rd party complaints to the RTB- and log absolutely everything with An Garda Síochána. The fact that they are alleging you are illegally filming children- is an appalling abuse of Garda time- and you deserve to have this recorded as a vexatious complaint against you with the Gardaí to disprove it. Aside from anything else- you're frontline and may need Garda clearance at some stage- having a complaint like this hanging over you- would influence the granting of such clearance. She crossed the line with that particular complaint- and needs to have the riot act read to her over it.

Also- with respect of the landlord- he/she is screwed no matter what they do. They cannot evict the tenant, even because of their anti-social behaviour- at the moment. If they do anything at all- the tenant will end up getting their HAP yanked- and then the landlord doesn't even get the rent.

I'd strongly encourage you to continue to log 3rd party complaints with the RTB though- and to encourage other neighbours to do so too.

Unfortunately- the system is setup to protect the tenant at all costs- from everyone- and the only one who will get any punishment- is the landlord (all the while people like you have to put up or shut up).

Its a stupid system- and the only way you can highlight how stupid it is- is by continuing to log official complaints- which should be properly documented- with the RTB.

For now- get the Gardaí to confirm that they investigated the complaint against you- found you innocent, and have closed the case- as it could have work related implications for you.

Agree with everything you said. And especially this.
    This is sitting in the pulse system with the posters name and the activity linked. It will come up if their name is ever looked up again. They should definitely get this taken care of. And confirmation from the gardai on what has happen. Even lodge your own complaint about this.
    These things do not go away.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Agree with everything you said. And especially this.
    This is sitting in the pulse system with the posters name and the activity linked. It will come up if their name is ever looked up again. They should definitely get this taken care of. And confirmation from the gardai on what has happen. Even lodge your own complaint about this.
    These things do not go away.

Thank you both for your constructive response. I plan to into the Garda station after work this evening and try and see whats happening and file a complaint against her . But I am very much aware of the implications of this on my job and I am sure the tenant is aware also. This is a nightmare that seems to be getting worse. I will also revise the case against the landlord with the RTB. But the last time a garda read out 14 official breaches of the peace and they left her in place.
    Thanks again I appreciate the advice ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The landlord may not be getting any rent. Just because the tenants are with HAP doesnt mean the landlord is getting paid. If the tenant stops paying the coucil amount the full payment is stopped to the landlord. to say the landlord doesnt care is silly who would want to be dealing with tenants like this ? No one as you say its already been in the RTB twice. The only winner here is the tenant will play the game. But go ahead a and blame the Landlord.

The landlord may not be getting any rent. Just because the tenants are with HAP doesnt mean the landlord is getting paid. If the tenant stops paying the coucil amount the full payment is stopped to the landlord. to say the landlord doesnt care is silly who would want to be dealing with tenants like this ? No one as you say its already been in the RTB twice. The only winner here is the tenant will play the game. But go ahead a and blame the Landlord.

Very true- however, the flipside of the coin is the landlord did not have to come to the defense of the tenant at the RTB- against a case brought by neighbours that she is actively terrorising.

Her latest antics could be reputation and career destroying for the OP.

I fully accept that landlords are in an entirely unenviable situation- but in situations like this- the landlord can legitimately put his hands up at the RTB- advise them that he cannot dispute the case brought by the neighbours, offer no defense- and implore the RTB to assist in taking action against the tenant.

In cases like this- the landlord is held responsible for the actions of the tenant- and when the tenant misbehaves in the manner the current one is doing- it is imperative that the landlord do everything in their power to discharge their obligations towards the third party- and that they do not condone appalling, possibly criminal, behaviour on the part of the tenant.

The current legislation is nuts- the landlord is liable- yet, can't do anything about it. Well- the very least the landlord can do- is enter a 'no-contest' to the case- and implore the RTB for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Very true- however, the flipside of the coin is the landlord did not have to come to the defense of the tenant at the RTB- against a case brought by neighbours that she is actively terrorising.

Her latest antics could be reputation and career destroying for the OP.

I fully accept that landlords are in an entirely unenviable situation- but in situations like this- the landlord can legitimately put his hands up at the RTB- advise them that he cannot dispute the case brought by the neighbours, offer no defense- and implore the RTB to assist in taking action against the tenant.

In cases like this- the landlord is held responsible for the actions of the tenant- and when the tenant misbehaves in the manner the current one is doing- it is imperative that the landlord do everything in their power to discharge their obligations towards the third party- and that they do not condone appalling, possibly criminal, behaviour on the part of the tenant.

The current legislation is nuts- the landlord is liable- yet, can't do anything about it. Well- the very least the landlord can do- is enter a 'no-contest' to the case- and implore the RTB for help.

Its very tricky for a landlord . I know of a LL who have her property destroyed by an ex tenant but was advised by the Gardai privately not worth the hassle she would get from pressing charges. She was afraid for her family and herself so dropped it. Its very difficult for the LLs in this day and age, nothing is straight forward as one might think.

Believe me yes the landlord was briefing them what to say and this was reported to the RTB. I did threaten that I would sue him so I suppose it was in his interest to defend her. But now I am in a serious predicament regarding allegations that are totally untrue. Just put yourself in my place under stress with whats happening at work and getting little or no sleep. There was drugs being sold there at one stage and yes the landlord was aware of this.
    So please do not try defend what this guy LL and what he has done to me and the other neighbors. He has been aware of the situation over the last 3 years.

Believe me yes the landlord was briefing them what to say and this was reported to the RTB. I did threaten that I would sue him so I suppose it was in his interest to defend her. But now I am in a serious predicament regarding allegations that are totally untrue. Just put yourself in my place under stress with whats happening at work and getting little or no sleep. There was drugs being sold there at one stage and yes the landlord was aware of this.
    So please do not try defend what this guy LL and what he has done to me and the other neighbors. He has been aware of the situation over the last 3 years.

When you say the landlord was briefing them what to say. Did the neighbour or the RTB tell you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

But due to Covid that notice stoped on March 27 th and she is still causing havoc.
    Only tonight the Guards called and asked to see my phone as she made a repot that I was filming kids. .

Worth bearing in mind that filming anyone without their consent is technically illegal under GDPR, particularly if footage its on a app like whatsapp or facebook. It is a mad law and I dont see how anyone can enforce that. I know in my community we share pics of youths and teenagers who are dangerous and committing crimes in our estate all the time. It is pretty shocking that the guards would take her serious.

• Advertisement

Worth bearing in mind that filming anyone without their consent is technically illegal under GDPR, particularly if footage its on a app like whatsapp or facebook. It is a mad law and I dont see how anyone can enforce that. I know in my community we share pics of youths and teenagers who are dangerous and committing crimes in our estate all the time. It is pretty shocking that the guards would take her serious.

Anyone public sector is terrified of GDPR- and there are really stupid things happening (and not happening) because of it. Its a case of assume the worse case scenario, and be relieved when it doesn't come to pass.

Advertisement