Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

• 31-07-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

As silly season is almost over, Paddy already have odds up for the first round of the Top 14, I wonder if we'll enjoy markets going up two weeks in advance throughout the season ;)

3PSmO.png

Main questions are if RM's Galácticos will gel first time out and cover the 14 points and what did happen to Thomond's famous 50 units

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My 50 units went up to 63 units thanks to some timely backing of Cork and Limerick. :D
    In terms of those odds above, those Racing odds look decent if they name their strongest side. However this match will be at La Rochelle and not Colombes, Racing moved it because they were concerned about a lack of attendance (Paris is basically on holiday in August!).

Other than Racing, nothing really stands out tbh. It's not in your list but Montpellier are slight favourites at home to Toulon, that one is very difficult to call!

Anyone like the look of Tim Visser to be top tryscorer in the Rabo again (for the 5th consecutive season), 5/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Oyanaxx to stay within 12 of Bayonne looks tempting I'd have to say. Not the biggest fan of season long bets but 5/1 does look decent for Visser to be top try scorer.

Looking forward to the Currie Cup starting up again too I'd have to say, seems a basic rule of thumb for that is to bet on unders for matches in Cape Town and Durban and overs for matches in the Veldt

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've decided ill be supporting Grenoble this season. Big Irish influence and I like their style and philosophy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Top14 odds are usually out a fair bit ahead of the games so I don't think this is a new thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Boks 4/1 to win the rugby championship, bit of value in that I reckon

• Advertisement

Super 15 final tomorrow, handicap is 8 points for the Chiefs. Going to play it safe and take the Chiefs to win at 1/3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I know Fionn Carr is back with Connacht but Dannie Poolman for our Top Try scorer at 11/2 looks tasty

50 Units all set up and ready to go. Get ready to be crushingly defeated Thomond.

50 Units all set up and ready to go. Get ready to be crushingly defeated Thomond.

50 units being slowly built up from 10, nearly there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Think I'll do a little log myself, I'll start with 50 units also and We'll see who can do most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

'The make Paddy even wealthier,' tread,:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cool, the more people that keep a log the better!

50 units in, just need some rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'll do some bets, and keep records. A betting pot of €1,000.

can we make a rule that people shouldn't mention amounts of money unless they are willing to post a screenshot of the bet or docket?

can we make a rule that people shouldn't mention amounts of money unless they are willing to post a screenshot of the bet or docket?

I don't really mind, if people want to mention figures then that's their prerogative. I'm only really interested in percentage returns.

The best way IMO this can work is posting your list of bets before the first match you've a stake on, that prevents any accusation of after-timing or selective screenshots. Of course sometimes this isn't possible before matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If people want to claim they're betting more than they are that's their business.

I'm gonna give this 50 unit lark a go this season.

Looking forward to a good old unit-off this season. Just need the bloody season to start first.

I'll get into this, 50 units for Ugo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

My betting pot is in fact quite small. I'm using it as a round figure & easy to calculate % terms, I don't do units or online stuff. Looking for a 100%+ gain.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    My betting pot is in fact quite small. I'm using it as a round figure & easy to calculate % terms, I don't do units or online stuff. Looking for a 100%+ gain.

Well then do the units system and show us you can do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Anyone like the look of Tim Visser to be top tryscorer in the Rabo again (for the 5th consecutive season), 5/1?

Looks a good bet, but hard to know how Edinburgh are going to play under Solomons, although I'd imagine Visser would be important to the gameplan. If you are looking for value I'd be inclined to back Eli Walker each way at 20/1, the ospreys are nearly guaranteed to score tries and as he's not likely to be a wales starter he should play a good amount of games.

Some good value also in choosing the top Connacht tryscorer, Fionn Carr is favourite at 6/4 but its difficult to know whether he'll be guaranteed a starting spot over O'halloran and Poolman, Poolman was top tryscorer last year but is only fourth in the betting, IMO he's a definite starter

And we are up and running :D

4 units on Australia +5 at 2.0

Current balance: 46 units

Not sure I'll go for much this weekend given there's no form to speak of, but provisionally speaking I'd favour Montpellier over Toulon. Toulon will be missing quite a few players. I'm not sure how Montpellier's squad is shaping up atm.

ah yeah if i do bet i won't be risking any of my hard earned units

(we should get a league table going though!

ah yeah if i do bet i won't be risking any of my hard earned units

(we should get a league table going though!

A table is easy enough to do if people use the 50 units system. Although perhaps if people aren't doing so well they won't want it overly advertised!

A table is easy enough to do if people use the 50 units system. Although perhaps if people aren't doing so well they won't want it overly advertised!

I'm happy to publish my loses :cool: I think its a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Montpellier at 14/1 each way for Top 14 is a nice bet. Reckon they'll be much improved this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Can someone please explain what the 50 units thing is about. Looks like fun.

• Advertisement

Can someone please explain what the 50 units thing is about. Looks like fun.

It's a way of expressing your weighting on each bet while not revealing any amounts.

Advertisement