Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how's your dental hygiene - long time vapers

• 18-11-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Now just to start off im not about blaming vaping or recent events where few died in US using dodgy thc cartridges so not interested in the whole debate, they claim.

That said been vaping 5-8 years now, at least for couple years ive been experiencing gum bleeding- mornings/when brushing etc nothing major, specially on the side of mouth i vape.

few days back went to get the teeth cleaned and general checkup, after deep cleaning dentist asked am i smoking etc, said yeah and he was like yeah it clearly shows so, specially the way the gums easily bleed on side i usually vape (left), and mentioned something about teeth roots being a bit mess, thou in general no teeth issues, and said just get every 6mo plaque and stone removal - visit was more prompted by people noticing bad breath- dont vape any sweet liquid or high in VG.

Now i drink lots of water for couple years after vaping during, but think its more of an issue that developed when i used to smoke couple packs a day that carried trough.

anyway to us hardcore vapers is there much more we can do to maintain healthy teeth gums and staying hydrated.

thinking to get new electric brush maybe sonic as have oral B but while head is new seems to remove plaque well otherwise its really harsh on gums-rotating motion so thinking maybe to switch to sonic, thou no clue how it works or compares.

as said in the beginning nothing to do with few crap stories but rather maintaining clean mouth, as im guilty for one not having regular visits every 6mo or a year, to get teeth cleaned to begin with- thus probably having issues with sensitive gums, in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

I'd advise getting the Fairlywill sonic toothbrush on Amazon for ababout £19 currently on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9ML7XP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mwZ0Db1Y45C2J

They're a Philips sonic care clone and are savage value the battery lasts a month at the least, I wouldn't waste my money on the Philips ones as they're well overpriced.
    In comparison to the oral b they're much lighter on the gums and my teeth feel much cleaner.

As for my teeth the bottom half of my two front teeth are semi transparent when looking into the mirror in front of the cabinet which has halogen bulbs in it.

This happened around the time I was vaping but also I was driking orange juice and pineapple juice not from concentrate so I don't if it was the vape or the juice to blame.

I do know that if the coil spits a drop onto them it can feel hot and sore as they're sensitive.

As for the gums then I'd say smoking does much more damage.

Smoking/nicotine prevents the amount of bleeding that would happen from gum disease as the blood vessels are constricted so smoking can mask gum disease symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

My dentist told me that smoking will reduce gum bleeding and also said that he hasnt noticed negative symptoms so far, certainly none compared to smoking. He heard about the "vaping mouth sores" but had not seen them.

Never had that but did quit vaping partly because it made my mouth so manky in the mornings. It's much better now without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I know about claims of when people switch from cigs to vape they often experience gum bleeds, my case is years after quitting, aint sure prob sensitive gums, maybe not keeping good hygiene, as it was a while before would drink lots of water, still have few visits left to get some fillings done, so will ask about my gums, sure quitting would be best then again cant give up everything in life just to be healthy :D

thanks for that toothbrush advice, as actually been to BA and seen it, put it on my amazon shopping list, as orbal B is ok but its a bit harsh-perfect for teeth not so great on gums, thou that said after using it first time felt like after dental cleaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Vaping about 8 years. My teeth haven't gotten any worse over the duration nor have I experienced any bleeding gums. The only thing I've noticed, from a similar post above, that the 1/3 bottom of my front teeth are going semi transparent. No clue if that's just the teeth getting on in years or vaping related. The only other thing, I've noticed over the last few days that the front top of my tongue has a weird sensation going on, almost like pins and needles from time to time but w/out the numbness. Again, first thing I thought it may be was vaping, unsure though. My eyes do get quite dry though which I'm sure is from the vaping. Getting old is a b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

TinCool wrote: »
    The only other thing, I've noticed over the last few days that the front top of my tongue has a weird sensation going on, almost like pins and needles from time to time but w/out the numbness.

Is your tank spitting? It could be juice hitting the tip of your tongue as you vape and its annoying your tongue, has happened a few times with me on my lips and tongue, but usually goes away once i clean out the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've noticed vaping menthol that it lead to a bad build up of plaque on my teeth, similar to the feeling you get after drinking coke or something sugary. I'd say the menthol contains sugar and that's the issue and probably similar to most blends. So I'd say vaping is pretty bad for teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Is your tank spitting? It could be juice hitting the tip of your tongue as you vape and its annoying your tongue, has happened a few times with me on my lips and tongue, but usually goes away once i clean out the excess.

Perhaps, but I don't think so, not that I've noticed anyway. I'll keep an eye out. Possible minute particles are and I'm not noticing but that may explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Vaping 6 years, had to switch to using only a soft toothbrush a couple of years back. As have some gum recession and sensitivity, might or might not be related to vaping.

Otherwise my teeth seem fine, nothing unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

iamtony wrote: »
    I've noticed vaping menthol that it lead to a bad build up of plaque on my teeth, similar to the feeling you get after drinking coke or something sugary. I'd say the menthol contains sugar and that's the issue and probably similar to most blends. So I'd say vaping is pretty bad for teeth.
    yeah i avoid any sugar flavors most of them are well overpowered with sugar specially US brands, thou menthol peppermint is my go to usually.

as for bleeding gums think prob could be cavities as one close to the gap on front teeth that needs prob looked at properly and often get bits stuck behind molars - since got few visits will try to get all of them patched up, thou that said think 6mo cleanup rather then 2-3 years in between would void most issues,as these things go until its not emergency its easy to overlook checkups.

Advertisement