Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men’s smart/casual office clothes

• 24-10-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I am looking for ideas on new outfits for work smart/casual is the dress code. I work mostly with women and they are in something different every day. I seem to stick to the usual black slacks black shoes and various shirts. I want to jazz it up a bit but don’t know where to start. Are chinos acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah they are fine. Just stay away from the very cheap looking ones. In terms of shirts mix it up, plain and stripes and maybe look at new colours. You could also add blue or brown slacks to the repertoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah they are fine. Just stay away from the very cheap looking ones. In terms of shirts mix it up, plain and stripes and maybe look at new colours. You could also add blue or brown slacks to the repertoire.

Yeah, I was thinking of changing the colour of slacks. What shoes would go with grey pants? Brown - or would black do too? I’m hopeless to match clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking of changing the colour of slacks. What shoes would go with grey pants? Brown - or would black do too? I’m hopeless to match clothes

Black shoes go fine with grey, but brown looks richer I think.

Depending on the office, you could trey a grey wool trouser with a black fine knit jumper, you don’t always have to wear a shirt.

Try reading up on ‘business casual’ - I’ve found that Fashiobeans is a decent place to start; https://www.fashionbeans.com/article/business-casual-guide-men/

Also try Primer for some ideas but they’re based in the us. They have a series called The Getup that can give you some inspiration (https://www.primermagazine.com/2018/learn/fall-smart-casual-office-style)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah they are fine. Just stay away from the very cheap looking ones.

Yeah, personally I feel cheap trousers definitely impact the ability of my team members to do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, personally I feel cheap trousers definitely impact the ability of my team members to do their jobs.

Oh ffs. This is the Fashion and Appearance Forum, not the Productivity Forum.

The OP came here for advice on dressing well and changing things up within the business casual dress code. Do cheap trousers that don’t wear well make him worse at his job? No. But do they look good? Also no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Maz2016 wrote: »

In my opinion, black shoes make it look like you're taking a chance or doing your best in an outfit.

Brown shoes show that you know how to dress.

I say that as someone who used to often wear a pair of black shoes with a grey suit, then I bought brown shoes for something else and tried them on together. There's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Go to a shop and ask for advice,we can't see you dressed but we could sit for days picking clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Thanks all , guess I’ll be going shopping for the long weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Black shoes go fine with grey, but brown looks richer I think.

Just make sure the shoes are darker then your pants; light brown shoes with dark grey pants don't look as good as the opposite.

Brown shoes with chinos. NEVER brown shoes with black pants, although it seems you know this already.

People "online" always praise brown (men's) shoes over black, but it is easier to hide cheap leather with black shoes and polish than with brown.

A modern classic smart casual look is a beige/tan/light brown chino, with a blue/blue striped/blue checked shirt with a button down collar, and not-too-formal brown shoes with a brown belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Isn't the London City trick that they can always tell outsiders (non old money private school type) by wearing brown shoes to job interview. Apparently the trick is to always wear black shoes.

Anyway I don't think op has to worry about that (I don't mean it in condescending way) but there are different roles that will have different expectations. I notice if the shoes are decent quality and clean, I think decent belt makes huge difference. After that you can vary couple of different pairs of trousers with different colours of shirts. As long as you keep to basic colours almost every shirt will match beige, black, navy or grey trousers. A merino jumper when colder could be nice addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Now that the cold weather is coming in, it gives you a chance to wear more things and also to accessorise.

Think of wearing a black or navy roll neck jumper under a slim fitting (but not too slim or short) blazer or suit jacket. You might feel a bit like the man from the Milk Tray ad but it'll look great and offers a nice alternative to yet another shirt. You could even wear the suit trousers as well, but pair with a pair of "chukka" boots, or more chunky boots. Great for when it's lashing rain.

Also try a big chunky cardigan over a t-shirt or long sleeve t shirt, with straight leg dark jeans (if you're allowed to wear jeans in your office). Similarly you could get a heavy "shacket" (cross between a shirt and a jacket), either check or dark green.

You can also accessories with a range of different scarves; learn different ways to tie them and you'll get a more varied look. Get some really big ones as well that you can wrap around in the really cold weather. They'll keep you warm and make you look good!

Same goes for hats - find a brand of woolly hat that you like and get a number of different colours. Also try experimenting with flat caps or newsboy caps. Won't suit everyone but again another variation.

You could also get a pair of smart black or brown leather gloves. Much better looking than woolly gloves.

I guarantee the women in the office will notice your new style! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wait are we talking actual staff or a euphemism for testicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Now that the cold weather is coming in, it gives you a chance to wear more things and also to accessorise.

Think of wearing a black or navy roll neck jumper under a slim fitting (but not too slim or short) blazer or suit jacket. You might feel a bit like the man from the Milk Tray ad but it'll look great and offers a nice alternative to yet another shirt. You could even wear the suit trousers as well, but pair with a pair of "chukka" boots, or more chunky boots. Great for when it's lashing rain.

Also try a big chunky cardigan over a t-shirt or long sleeve t shirt, with straight leg dark jeans (if you're allowed to wear jeans in your office). Similarly you could get a heavy "shacket" (cross between a shirt and a jacket), either check or dark green.

You can also accessories with a range of different scarves; learn different ways to tie them and you'll get a more varied look. Get some really big ones as well that you can wrap around in the really cold weather. They'll keep you warm and make you look good!

Same goes for hats - find a brand of woolly hat that you like and get a number of different colours. Also try experimenting with flat caps or newsboy caps. Won't suit everyone but again another variation.

You could also get a pair of smart black or brown leather gloves. Much better looking than woolly gloves.

I guarantee the women in the office will notice your new style! :)

you've basically described graham o Dwyer

you've basically described graham o Dwyer

O....K....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

O....K....

I think he means the scarf. Why that was the first person to come to mind I don't want to guess...

Unless you've a cold, wearing a scarf indoors looks like a pose; but I don't think that's what you were suggesting.

I think he means the scarf. Why that was the first person to come to mind I don't want to guess...

Unless you've a cold, wearing a scarf indoors looks like a pose; but I don't think that's what you were suggesting.

It's absolutely not what I was suggesting! I meant for outside.

Advertisement