Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City is now ''Tap'' Central

• 05-09-2019 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭

Tonight while walking between Westmorland St and Abbey St I was approached 7 times for loose change, Cigarettes, Use of my phone, Money for a hostel, money for coffee etc, I dont smoke while walking the streets anymore either, It's like a magnet. Tapping and sometimes agressive tapping is gone out of hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Problem is no Gardaí to move anyone on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Tapping and sometimes agressive tapping is gone out of hand.

Fcuking Bruce Forsyth, pest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

greencap wrote: »
    7 fck offs so.
    Oh I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The problem is that they no longer can move them on. Begging laws were challenged and found unconstitutional.

We would actually need a referendum to change that.

Hangover from how the brits used begging laws to imprison people and then send them to the colonies.

• Advertisement

I do agree with the OP it is getting more annoying just walking from one side of the city center to the other on any given day. Guaranteed to be harassed (and it does verge on or cross harassment most times) multiple times by either chuggers, junkies or just the casual tracksuit wearer looking for a smoke or "bus fare" (always like that one given their free travel passes). Worse than it was even a year a go.

If it is the case they can't be moved on is it any wonder?

I do think more visible garda presence would help though regardless.

The lack of visible policing is the biggest problem with the city center particularly north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The problem is that they no longer can move them on. Begging laws were challenged and found unconstitutional.

We would actually need a referendum to change that.

Hangover from how the brits used begging laws to imprison people and then send them to the colonies.

Don't worry - we'll never be consulted by FG on this. Only important issues like the min age of the symbolic figurehead will be put to us.

In the mean time "Ask me bollix" will have to suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

What good is moving them on from the Halpenny Bridge to Dame st or wherever?
    It doesn't solve the problem

Edgware wrote: »

I don't see how more visible policing would make the problem worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

This is why I always carry around a bundle of sticks. I tell the tappers we've gone back to the tally stick system and sure they're none the wiser. By the time they've realised the stick won't fit in the bus ticket dispenser I'm long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not a problem for me. Then again, I have the appearance of somebody looking for spare change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah it's not nice to see, but it shouldn't affect your life in any way. At least it's not you in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would you not just carry a Tap enabled bankcard and only have to deal with the ones who have Card Tap terminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Waterford holds this record, only 7 times, 20-30 a day in Waterford, loose change, a poor traveller who lost their caravan in a tragic fire. Sort a quid for a packet of fags, the dog ate my homework, I was cut off the dole coz I forgot to sign, I need money to visit a sick relative, and I'm 2 quid short for the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

greencap wrote: »
    7 fck offs so.
    Yeah right.

People love playing the hard man on here, then spend their days whinging about video games or TV programmes about cartoon dragons. Deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Edgware wrote: »

It also doesn't make the problem worse.

If they go unchallenged then more and more people do it.
    If they are constantly hassled by Gardai then it's a less attractive thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Waterford holds this record, only 7 times, 20-30 a day in Waterford, loose change, a poor traveller who lost their caravan in a tragic fire. Sort a quid for a packet of fags, the dog ate my homework, I was cut off the dole coz I forgot to sign, I need money to visit a sick relative, and I'm 2 quid short for the bus.
    Used to work by Busarus and anytime I went out for a smoke at least 3 people would ask for something every time I stepped outside. It is still like that for the people still working there. The stupid thing is you could tell the same person everyday no and they would still ask the next day.
    The really annoying ones come up to you and act like they know you. Start asking how the family are and how you are doing. I started telling them that I luckily got my GBH charges dropped because the guy went missing. Strongly suggesting it was me and how much I hate liars. They leave pretty quickly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would you not just carry a Tap enabled bankcard and only have to deal with the ones who have Card Tap terminals?

I was actually outside the Palace on Fleet Street the other week with a pint. Lad comes up to me and asks if I've any change. I said, "no I'm using my card I don't carry cash", quick as a flash he says "Ah, I can accept card" and goes to take something out of his pocket.

He must have seen the face on me because he cracked up laughing at me and said "only joking, cheers" and headed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was out for lunch the other day near the IFSC and heard an awful splash in the Liffey behind me as I walked back to my office. You'd never believe it but it was the Loch Ness Monster. Said he was down on his luck and wanted to know if I could lend him some money. I cut him short and told him to get ta fuck.

I'm sure we're all sick of his shite at this stage. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where you going to move them on to?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It could be like the sparrows in China. Keep moving them on until they die of exhaustion!
    The government also declared that "birds are public animals of capitalism".[2] As a result of this campaign, many sparrows died from exhaustion; citizens would bang pots and pans so that sparrows would not have the chance to rest on tree branches and would fall dead from the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

FFS was hoping this was about cheap plumbing supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Begging should be prosecuteable unless you can prove you are destitute. Even then it's a soft answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Begging should be prosecuteable unless you can prove you are destitute. Even then it's a soft answer.

Doesn't answer the quesiton, unless you want to waste police and court time with it

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Doesn't answer the quesiton, unless you want to was police and court time with it

Other countries came up with an idea to tackle all sorts of behaviour in society - a properly resourced and manned police force and a justice system.

Imagine that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Horrible to see people begging and looking for change. Such a massive divide in our so called Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was on O'Connell Street last Friday and I saw some lads snorting white powder outside Carrolls while children looked on - it has gotten so seedy. Very disappointing. The whole place needs to be knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Other countries came up with an idea to tackle all sorts of behaviour in society - a properly resourced and manned police force and a justice system.

Imagine that.

How much extra tax would you be willing to pay for this to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Add to the OP the Concern crew on at best minimum wage plus commission who make out they are the friendliest people you've ever met with their wide smiles and dramatic waves to get your attention. They are more aggressive than the lads sitting with a cup in their hand.

A bit like the strippers in the dodgy clubs.

Advertisement