Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tomane isn't near good enough to be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Larbre34 wrote: »

Here we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It didn’t take long for the Tomane bashing to start on this new thread...where’s Richie?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not bashing him for the sake of it. ShefWed suggests he sees him in a more prominent role on the wing next season, I disagree with that for a few reasons, among which are the scarcity of good performances where he doesn't go missing. I think he's an overly expensive second stringer.

Ever notice whenever the selection conundrum around Fardy, Lowe and JGP comes up, Tomane isn't within an asses roar of that discussion? Thats hardly the player who is likely to have an increased profile next year, and definitely not out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not bashing him for the sake of it. ShefWed suggests he sees him in a more prominent role on the wing next season, I disagree with that for a few reasons, among which are the scarcity of good performances where he doesn't go missing. I think he's an overly expensive second stringer.

Ever notice whenever the selection conundrum around Fardy, Lowe and JGP comes up, Tomane isn't within an asses roar of that discussion? Thats hardly the player who is likely to have an increased profile next year, and definitely not out of position.

He's exempt from that ruling.

• Advertisement

It’s his first season with Leinster and got hit with a few injuries, he will be well settled next year with something to prove....he is a class player

Maybe if some sections of the fans would get off his back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If you took your xenophobic specs off for a minute, you’d realize that’s because he isn’t affected by that. But don’t let facts get in the way of your bias.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lots wrong here.

Why do you think he's that expensive?
    Tomane is the one who pushed for the move.

And as said, he didn't fall into the foreigner rule. Anyway that wont be an issue in the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lots of Leinster tops in Dublin Airport.

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think Tomane will have a bigger role next year and I think he has a lot of potential for us. I don't agree with the level of animosity that's been shown towards him by some sections of supporters.

But lads, if you calmed down a second and thought a little outside the box, I'd suspect you might find that one angle that Larbre34 may have been taking re the kolpak issue is that we haven't ever heard a strong discussion on starting fardy and JGP because we won't miss Lowe as much because larmour is on great form and Tomane is tearing it up on the other wing. I strongly suspect that's the angle the poster was taking. I mean, he even mentioned in his post the 3 players that are subject to the "selection conundrum"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Lots of Leinster tops in Dublin Airport.

COYBIB!

Same on the boat...

Uriel. wrote: »
    I think Tomane will have a bigger role next year and I think he has a lot of potential for us. I don't agree with the level of animosity that's been shown towards him by some sections of supporters.

But lads, if you calmed down a second and thought a little outside the box, I'd suspect you might find that one angle that Larbre34 may have been taking re the kolpak issue is that we haven't ever heard a strong discussion on starting fardy and JGP because we won't miss Lowe as much because larmour is on great form and Tomane is tearing it up on the other wing. I strongly suspect that's the angle the poster was taking. I mean, he even mentioned in his post the 3 players that are subject to the "selection conundrum"

See below comments from Larbre34.....they give me a fairly clear idea of what "angle" he/she is taking on this.....

Lets just say I disagree in polite response
    I think he's an overly expensive second stringer.
    Tomane isn't within an asses roar of that discussion?

We've played tomane predominately in the center, plus he spent a HUGE portion of the season injured.

That's why he isn't in the discussion when deciding between a flanker, sh and wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is Tomane not outside the Kolpak rule? He was born in NZ.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is Tomane not outside the Kolpak rule? He was born in NZ.

He is but that's not why

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He is but that's not why
    ? :confused:

? :confused:

He has a Samoan passport which makes him exempt

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

I think he has a Samoan passport.

Born in NZ but with Samoan parents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I neither think Tomane is the liability that people make him out to be nor do I think he will be featuring primarily on the wing next season.

He hit some very promising performances recently in the exact role that we signed him for. A hard running centre that we can launch some good front foot ball off.

Cian Kelleher is coming back don't forget and I think we will see him feature a good bit. He hasn't lit it up at Connacht but I think he has all the attributes to be a very good player and hopefully can flourish with our attacking structures.

His strike rate is worse than Byrne, Lowe, Larmour and Daly though. Am still hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

I have 2 tickets free to a good home for tomorrows match. Would rather see them used than go to waste. Not travelling now myself.

They will need to be collected over there. I can provide the email confirmation. First PM can have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I neither think Tomane is the liability that people make him out to be nor do I think he will be featuring primarily on the wing next season.

He hit some very promising performances recently in the exact role that we signed him for. A hard running centre that we can launch some good front foot ball off.

Cian Kelleher is coming back don't forget and I think we will see him feature a good bit. He hasn't lit it up at Connacht but I think he has all the attributes to be a very good player and hopefully can flourish with our attacking structures.

His strike rate is worse than Byrne, Lowe, Larmour and Daly though. Am still hopeful

It wouldn’t be Kellehers attacking potential that would concern me. He has always had that in spades. Hopefully Lancaster can fix the defensive frailties in his game. Otherwise with COB stepping up at 12, I could see Tomane featuring more often on the wing than this season.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He has a Samoan passport which makes him exempt
    jaansu wrote: »
    I think he has a Samoan passport.

Born in NZ but with Samoan parents
    Shefwedfan wrote: »

My confusion was related to how Syd answered my question. Outside the Kolpak rule means not eligible as a Kolpak player. In other words, the same as JGP, Lowe and Fardy. So saying "He is", but that being born in NZ "was not the reason" had me scratching my head. :D

My confusion was related to how Syd answered my question. Outside the Kolpak rule means not eligible as a Kolpak player. In other words, the same as JGP, Lowe and Fardy. So saying "He is", but that being born in NZ "was not the reason" had me scratching my head. :D

yeah my bad.... i read what you were asking differently

Tomane has had a very unimpressive season for leinster. I didn't think that was a controversial opinion at all.

Tomane has had a very unimpressive season for leinster. I didn't think that was a controversial opinion at all.

you could swap Tomane for Lowe, Teo, Triggs, Gopperth, Kirchner, Nacewa, Wright...

as players who didnt set the world alight at the beginning of their leinster careers but turned out good in the end.

Id be a lot more patient with Tomane due to the injury he got and the lack of time to gel with what is basically two different squads in leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

International signings rarely set the world alight in their first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

. Rob Kearney (208)
    14. Jordan Larmour (36)
    13. Garry Ringrose (62)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (34)
    11. James Lowe (27)
    10. Johnny Sexton (157) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (110)
    1. Cian Healy (205)
    2. Seán Cronin (170)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (99)
    4. Devin Toner (229)
    5. James Ryan (28)
    6. Scott Fardy (41)
    7. Seán O’Brien (125)
    8. Jack Conan (86)

16. James Tracy (91)
    17. Jack McGrath (144)
    18. Michael Bent (123)
    19. Rhys Ruddock (158)
    20. Max Deegan (43)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (14)
    22. Ross Byrne (69)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (60)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »
    . Rob Kearney (208)
    14. Jordan Larmour (36)
    13. Garry Ringrose (62)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (34)
    11. James Lowe (27)
    9. Luke McGrath (110)
    1. Cian Healy (205)
    2. Seán Cronin (170)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (99)
    4. Devin Toner (229)
    5. James Ryan (28)
    6. Scott Fardy (41)
    7. Seán O’Brien (125)
    8. Jack Conan (86)

16. James Tracy (91)
    17. Jack McGrath (144)
    18. Michael Bent (123)
    19. Rhys Ruddock (158)
    20. Max Deegan (43)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (14)
    22. Ross Byrne (69)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (60)

Fifth Star, I can feel it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Clegg wrote: »
    . Rob Kearney (208)
    14. Jordan Larmour (36)
    13. Garry Ringrose (62)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (34)
    11. James Lowe (27)
    9. Luke McGrath (110)
    1. Cian Healy (205)
    2. Seán Cronin (170)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (99)
    4. Devin Toner (229)
    5. James Ryan (28)
    6. Scott Fardy (41)
    7. Seán O’Brien (125)
    8. Jack Conan (86)

16. James Tracy (91)
    17. Jack McGrath (144)
    18. Michael Bent (123)
    19. Rhys Ruddock (158)
    20. Max Deegan (43)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (14)
    22. Ross Byrne (69)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (60)

Cronins fitness is brilliant news. Interesting that McGrath is the sub prop. Delighted Lowe made it. X-factor needed badly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement