Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

house mate leaving

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

ijohhj wrote:
    Tell the roomie to get lost until this is over op. It's her choice to leave, knowing the situation, so she should keep paying rent.

Why? She's giving a month's notice as per the agreement. Is there anything legally compelling her to do more?

Caranica wrote:
    If the housemate is still there she can't go to her mother's and vice versa. She can't show the room to anyone as she's legally required to stay put. People coming to view the room would also be breaking the law as it's not an essential activity

This is government advice. Gardaí as of this moment have no extra powers and can only guide and advise. Read the news more closely. Harris and Dept of Justice have not yet signed off

Stark wrote:
    If you are renting a room to someone within your house, whether you are the homeowner or the head tenant, you have the right to kick them out on the basis that you simply do not wish to live with them.

The head tenant! I'd love to read this law!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ciaranis wrote: »
    This is government advice. Gardaí as of this moment have no extra powers and can only guide and advise. Read the news more closely. Harris and Dept of Justice have not yet signed off

ah listen, don't be a bollox, keep it civil with no attitude! so many threads with bitchin going on this needn't be one of them.
    But your dead right in all your posts, there's nothing extra the housemate has to do nor can the guards do a damn thing about it, so what happens to the remaining tenant?
    i take it she cant be evicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

If shes is giving the appropriate notice and paying what shes is due re her contract what is she doing wrong ? Not up to her to advertise the room. Landlords problem to rent out her room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The head tenant! I'd love to read this law!

My pleasure to make you happy.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/types-of-tenancies-and-agreements/subletting-and-assignment/
    What is subletting?
    Subletting occurs when a tenant permits another party to lease the rental property that the tenant has leased from the landlord. The tenant then assumes the position of landlord (known as the head tenant) in relation to his or her subtenant. Subletting usually occurs because the tenant has signed a fixed-term lease and wants, for whatever reason, to get out of the lease before it expires. Subletting can only take place with the consent of the landlord.

If you are renting a room to someone within your house, whether you are the homeowner or the head tenant, you have the right to kick them out on the basis that you simply do not wish to live with them.

Stark Where in the **** did you pick up this absolute nonsense ? Try that with a tenant whos not willing to move. Get back to me in 4 years. "I don't like them boohoo"

tom1ie wrote:
    ah listen, don't be a bollox, keep it civil with no attitude! so many threads with bitchin going on this needn't be one of them. But your dead right in all your posts, there's nothing extra the housemate has to do nor can the guards do a damn thing about it, so what happens to the remaining tenant? i take it she cant be evicted?

"Don't be a bollox," he says while advising others to keep it civil.

Heckler wrote: »

Stark Where in the **** did you pick up this absolute nonsense ? Try that with a tenant whos not willing to move. Get back to me in 4 years. "I don't like them boohoo"

I didn't say tenant, I said licensee. Totally different rights in law. Since I already posted the links to back this up, how about you post something to back up your position.

Stark wrote: »
    I didn't say tenant, I said licensee. Totally different rights in law. Since I already posted the links to back this up, how about you post something to back up your position.

Fair enough. You're right. I was wrong. Read it incorrectly. Apologies.

• Advertisement

Never apologise for being wrong. This is Boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Heckler wrote: »

A person in the scenario described would be a licensee, not a tenant.

Such a licensee could apply to become a tenant after 6 months IIRC if they are not sharing with the homeowner.

RTB Guidelines here

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Never apologise for being wrong. This is Boards.

Yeah, just ignore that reply that proves your smart reply wrong, eh Ciaranis :)

"Don't be a bollox," he says while advising others to keep it civil.

yes. go on.............

tom1ie wrote:
    yes. go on.............

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So what happens when the new person moves in? House isolation for both for two weeks or will each assume the other doesn't have it :D

So what happens when the new person moves in? House isolation for both for two weeks or will each assume the other doesn't have it :D

Same situation as sharing with anyone at the moment. Just because no-one in my house has shown symptoms yet, doesn't mean one of us can't pick it up after being to the supermarket or whatever.

This situation depends whether the housemate is a licensee (ie: your sister holds the lease and sublets a room to the housemate) or co-signatory on the lease.

If she's co-signatory on the lease, then she has obligations to continue paying the rent until the lease is finished.

If she's a licensee, then she has no obligations (just as she would have to rights if the sister wanted to kick her out) and is free to leave whenever she wants and it's the sister's responsibility to find another person to sublet to.

Currently in this situation myself as co-signatory. House mate wants to move at the end of the month so currently looking to fill the room. Extra stress in an already stressful time. I'm worried we won't fill it. I could use some advice.

Our yearly lease actually ends at the end of April. Exactly when the housemate wants to move. Does that make a difference? It's a rolling lease. We have no clause in our lease about amount of time given to fill rooms. In the past, people have given lots of notice (sometimes up to 6 months) so we could find the right person so we've never had any hassle. What happens if we don't fill the room? Exiting housemate will not sign the new lease. Are they obliged to keep paying regardless?

So luckily enough the LL has decided he will take the hit on the rent.
    Decent person tbh.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Decent person tbh.

Bootlicker

(joking)

• Advertisement
Advertisement