Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Anyone recommend reading the da vinci code? Been here staring at me for the last few years, might make use of this free time..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone recommend reading the da vinci code? Been here staring at me for the last few years, might make use of this free time..

Wouldn't normally be my thing but I enjoyed it but it's pretty long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

I recommend you burn it and get your hands on Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" instead, seriously!

I read the .."Code" a few years ago and think (I'm not the only one) that Dan Brown was more than inspired (I'm being polite here) by Eco but produced a far, far inferior book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Don't do it.

I suggest instead Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

DaVinci is mindless rubbish. But there's sometimes a time and a place for mindless rubbish so I say go for it.

I also read Foucault's Pendulum. I'll be honest, I preferred DaVinci. I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on in FP. Maybe you can draw your own conclusions about me based on that, but, honestly, it was one of the worst books I ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

quickbeam wrote: »
    DaVinci is mindless rubbish. But there's sometimes a time and a place for mindless rubbish so I say go for it.

I also read Foucault's Pendulum. I'll be honest, I preferred DaVinci. I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on in FP. Maybe you can draw your own conclusions about me based on that, but, honestly, it was one of the worst books I ever read.

I loved Foucault's Pendulum, but I was the only one in my family and circle of friends who finished it. It's definitely not an easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm reading Skulduggery Pleasant: Midnight. After I finish that I think I might read The Amazing Maurice by Terry Pratchett.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Mishima Yukio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Reading Station Eleven (ok so far) and Boy's Life (superb)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

The Book of Fate

I am just past middle, and it is already overwhelming!

https://bradmeltzer.com/Books/The-Book-of-Fate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I stocked up for the long haul...

mUITlQsl.png

TV show (The Expanse) is amazing, books are so far just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

TV show (The Expanse) is amazing, books are so far just as good.

I've read the first three and my impression so far:
    Leviathan Wakes 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Calibans War 🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Abaddons Gate 🌟🌟🌟

Not a great trend.. I hope the remaining books return to the peak of book one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've read the first three and my impression so far:
    Leviathan Wakes 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Calibans War 🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Abaddons Gate 🌟🌟🌟

Not a great trend.. I hope the remaining books return to the peak of book one.
    I heard without spoilers that Cibola Burn is a bit slow, but gets better after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

The president is missing. Entertaining and quite an easy read. I've really enjoyed it so far!

Oh and I read 'I am Pilgrim' recently. A very good read, really enjoyed that one. It's 900ish pages so it will last a while which is good these days. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of novels but these two are worth a read imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The president is missing. Entertaining and quite an easy read. I've really enjoyed it so far!

Oh and I read 'I am Pilgrim' recently. A very good read, really enjoyed that one. It's 900ish pages so it will last a while which is good these days. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of novels but these two are worth a read imo.

Two of my favourite books over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have just started a rather appropriate book. 'Teach us to sit still' T Parks.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Recently finished ‘The Sheep Look Up’ by John Brunner, an eco-disaster tale of what’s to come from the 70s.

Not a bad read, take a little time to get used to the style but once you do it’s fine. Got a few “predictions” right. Some eerily so, the US president for one.

Currently reading ‘The Irish Story: Telling Tales and Making It Up in Ireland’ by R. F. Foster. Gives a good “insight” into Irish literary history and puts the spotlight on such chancers as Frank McCourt.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I just finished reading A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs and I gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed.

It's a bit different to the other Temperance Brennan novels in that the gory details are notably missing due to the fact that Brennan has been exiled from the medical examiners office. I enjoy reading how the victim was tortured/mutilated/murdered but none of this was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

After thoroughly enjoying Robert McCammon's Boy's life I've moved onto the more on-point Swan Song which is pretty good so far albeit not as good as the aforementioned novel.

I enjoy reading how the victim was tortured/mutilated/murdered but none of this was here.

If you “get off” on all that graphic, psycho, creepy stuff you should check out ’Exquisite Corpse’ by Poppy Z. Brite.

It’s a story about two serial killers, loosely based on Dahmer and Nilsen, respectively. It’s “jam packed” full of gruesome, and gorey, murdering.

All very disturbing.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

If you “get off” on all that graphic, psycho, creepy stuff you should check out ’Exquisite Corpse’ by Poppy Z. Brite.

It’s a story about two serial killers, loosely based on Dahmer and Nilsen, respectively. It’s “jam packed” full of gruesome, and gorey, murdering.

All very disturbing.

I see that it's classified as horror. I don't know if that's my thing.

I usually go for crime fiction with an emphasis on the main character either being the pathologist/anthropologist or the detective. I really enjoy a good book that can take you through the crime solving process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I do 99% of my reading through the library, my order list is constantly full and always being updated, and obviously I'm really missing that at the moment.

So I'm using this opportunity to order books that I've always wanted to read but that weren't available in the Irish libraries ... right now I'm reading My Fair Junkie by Amy Dresner, and after that it'll be High Achiever by Tiffany Jenkins - both addiction/recovery memoirs (both from Amazon.) I do love me a good addiction memoir!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm following Noughts and Crosses every week on BBC One. It's brilliant. I'm curious, has anybody read the books before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noughts_%26_Crosses_(novel_series)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm not watching the show, but I read the first book.

I usually go for crime fiction with an emphasis on the main character either being the pathologist/anthropologist or the detective. I really enjoy a good book that can take you through the crime solving process.

Ah, I wouldn’t consider it a “horror”. Not in the classical sense. It’s as much a horror as ‘American Psycho’, it’s certainly horrific but it’s probably closer to a thriller.

It focuses on the bad guys and what they get up to. Lots of graphic details of their “exploits”. And, while it’s fairly stomach churning, it’s also fairly childish too.

If you’re into gory, descriptive, murders then you’ll enjoy this. Especially, if you like it very “over the top”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I just finished reading A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs and I gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed.

It's a bit different to the other Temperance Brennan novels in that the gory details are notably missing due to the fact that Brennan has been exiled from the medical examiners office. I enjoy reading how the victim was tortured/mutilated/murdered but none of this was here.

Have you read any of Chris Carters books??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Trafalgar-An Eyewitness History.
    Edited by Tom Pocock.
    Penguin Classics.

Illustration of life onboard a 19th Century battleship.

Autosport wrote: »
    Have you read any of Chris Carters books??

I haven't actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What crime fiction authors do you recommend?
    I really like James Ellroy, David Peace’s Red Riding quartet was great and just got into the Harry Bosch series. From an Irish point if view, I enjoyed Tana French’s books and Alan Glynn’s trilogy of Winterland, Graveland and Bloodland.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    What crime fiction authors do you recommend?
    I really like James Ellroy, David Peace’s Red Riding quartet was great and just got into the Harry Bosch series. From an Irish point if view, I enjoyed Tana French’s books and Alan Glynn’s trilogy of Winterland, Graveland and Bloodland.

I'll look into those that you mention, I'm always open to recommendations for the crime fiction genre :)

Kathy Reichs would be my favourite, I have read all of the Temperance Brennan books (19 in total) and also her young adult offerings (co-written with her son).

I also really like Tess Gerritsen and have just today moved on to the last book in the Rizzoli & Isles series (12 books in total). I've given JK Rowling's Strike series a go but find it to be a bit hit and miss, I find I get bored quite a bit.

I have books by Patricia Cornwall, John Grisham and Steve Cavanagh (Irish author) on my shelf to give a go once I wrap up the the Rizzoli & Isles series by Gerritsen.

I've also read quite a few books by Mary Higgins Clarke but I would not recommend her. I thought her books were very basic and followed the same set up, so no surprises or twists and turns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement