Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Perifect wrote: »
    Not the first time something has gone over your head and it certainly won't be the last. :D

I like loads of things going over my head, bridges and aeroplanes being two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.

There is no Catholic club in Liverpool, both started by the same Methodist people.

Everton also have an Anglican Church in their ground so no idea where this catholic thing has come from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I like loads of things going over my head, bridges and aeroplanes being two.

The point and your dignity being others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

There is no Catholic club in Liverpool, both started by the same Methodist people.

Everton also have an Anglican Church in their ground so no idea where this catholic thing has come from

City till I die. Derry city? Cork city? Galway city?

The point and your dignity being others.

Not sure you get the whole metaphor thing, but you know what you're taking about and shur that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Jesus, I'll never get the obsession with this narrow view of the world we live in. You were born/live in Ireland therefore you must support all things Irish over all else. Support Irish soccer teams over English etc.

Who cares. If you are genuinely into the sport, then support which ever team you want. Support a team from Kazakhstan if you want. Ireland is not the world, enjoy all aspects of it that make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hoards of plastics in England too, not just Ireland.

I was born in South Oxfordshire (left after my 1st birthday) moved London (left at 6) moved to Ipswich (left at 14), Moved to Omagh.

I'm a Man Utd fan. I have no connection to Manchester or to the north of England.

Not sure why Irish people are giving themselves a hard time over non local support? Loads of English people don't even support their local team.

Well, seeing as he's clearly a Liverpool fan I'm guessing that's more a reference to urban rather than rural dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why just pick one team out of a foreign country? There are hundreds of countries and thousands of teams, why pick one out if you just like watching soccer?

Because if someone has spent years watching a team, then they are more likely to continue following that team but also watching other teams.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I don't need a link I live there-btw,I think it's a good thing that there is a healthy interest in the EPL-I'm on twitter and follow Everton supporters clubs in Ireland,NI and the US.
    I think the Catholic/Protestant thing in Liverpool has gradually died out since the 70's,but traditionally it existed-Everton were originally called St Domingo FC.

St. Domingo was a Methodist Chapel so again nothing to do with being Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I'm English and don't have any problem with foreign fans following English teams.,although Irish fans aren't regarded as foreign.

Derry City, go to Derry games and follow Liverpool not hard when Derry games are on a Friday night, some times I manages to go to 2 games in the one weekend

St. Domingo was a Methodist Chapel so again nothing to do with being Catholic

I didn't say St Domingo was Catholic I said that was what everton was originally called.

I didn't say St Domingo was Catholic I said that was what everton was originally called.

The thrust of your argument suggested you were implying it, no?

The st. in the title would be confusing.

The thrust of your argument suggested you were implying it, no?

The st. in the title would be confusing.

I haven't got any argument-it's common knowledge here in the Liverpool area that up until the late 60s/early 70's everton were regarded as Catholic and Liverpool protestant-thankfully that has disappeared and people couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Ya but your Dad wasn't from Liverpool was he?

My Dad used to to look out for Palace in the English League owing to connections he had in Croydon.

But we never got fully into supporting them. Wearing jersisies and chanting daft songs.

You're not from Inchicore either.

I haven't got any argument-it's common knowledge here in the Liverpool area that up until the late 60s/early 70's everton were regarded as Catholic and Liverpool protestant-thankfully that has disappeared and people couldn't care less.

This was largely due to Liverpools ties with the Orange Order.

There are a few on Boards eternally offended by Irish people supporting English teams. It's quite amusing each time their shoulder chip pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

There are a few on Boards eternally offended by Irish people supporting English teams. It's quite amusing each time their shoulder chip pops up.

Little do they know it's the chip that stops some people from getting involved in LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No sorry let's go over it again:
    You are wrong-Everton is recognised as the Catholic club

You did not claim that Everton were historically known as being Catholic. You stated that it IS recognised as THE Catholic club. You called me out as being wrong for saying it isn't. You can't just change now after being asked to prove it to try and claim you originally were talking about the 60's/70's and it has now 'disappeared'

You deliberately used the present tense to describe it as Catholic and it's only after being called out that you're changing your story

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    No sorry let's go over it again:

You did not claim that Everton were historically known as being Catholic. You stated that it IS recognised as THE Catholic club. You called me out as being wrong for saying it isn't. You can't just change now after being asked to prove it to try and claim you originally were talking about the 60's/70's and it has now 'disappeared'

You deliberately used the present tense to describe it as Catholic and it's only after being called out that you're changing your story

Listen,I provided a link,traditionally that's the way it is-its unfortunate if you dont like that-there are some people who still bang on about it but thankfully it is largely forgotten-i don't know why you're getting so wound up about it.
    Bloody hell!-I've got a donegal gaa hat and replica top so why would I critise anyone for liking a foreign team!

Listen,I provided a link,traditionally that's the way it is-its unfortunate if you dont like that-there are some people who still bang on about it but thankfully it is largely forgotten-i don't know why you're getting so wound up about it.
    Bloody hell!-I've got a donegal gaa hat and replica top so why would I critise anyone for liking a foreign team!

Irish Liverpool fans are notoriously tetchy about this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Irish Liverpool fans are notoriously tetchy about this topic.

I cannot understand it either. Defies belief. I love Barca, Real and PSG (who have been robbed blind on two occasions by refs giving fictitious penalties like the one against Man U.

The amount of true anti-Irish sentiment towards the Irish is incredible. The Brits (English, Welsh, Scots....) Can disguise it well but anti-Irish they are.

Why don't Irish people support Spanish, Italian, French clubs more ? Spanish teams are much more successful than British ones. Problem is that 99% of Irish players evolve in the Premiership because they don't speak foreign languages and feel at home in Britland.

I would never, ever support a British team against a French, German, Italian or any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I can see how someone could change their religion, but the football team they supported as a kid? C'est impossible.

If you go to a game and like it and then keep going back and it becomes a habit and then just something you do. Can be done as well as having a team you watch on telly or go to see once or twice or however many times a year/decade. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Live football can't be beaten. You see things you don't see on tv. Being part of chants and displays and tifos. Bantering off actual opposing fans. It's all great. Can be done in addition to having an existing team in the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Why are you framing this question as if it’s the most nonsensical thing in the world when the majority of Irish soccer fans couldn’t give two ****s about the LOI.

Would you watch the ladies team of your equivalent LOI club over a big premier league match? And if not, why?

On another point, the reason the GAA differ with the Irish soccer scene is the fact that all the Irish LOI teams are franchises. My county team represents everyone in the county. Who represents Kerry in LOI? Or do you expect a Kerry person to support Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

limnam wrote: »
    Little do they know it's the chip that stops some people from getting involved in LOI

Funny that not one of the dozens of people I've brought to Tolka over the years received anything but a warm welcome from the regulars no matter who they supported.

Omackeral wrote: »
    If you go to a game and like it and then keep going back and it becomes a habit and then just something you do. Can be done as well as having a team you watch on telly or go to see once or twice or however many times a year/decade. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Live football can't be beaten. You see things you don't see on tv. Being part of chants and displays and tifos. Bantering off actual opposing fans. It's all great. Can be done in addition to having an existing team in the United Kingdom.

Oh, I agree, for me it's be Cork, but I've never actually been to a Cork game. Part of the reason is that where I'm living is not Cork :) and my friends wouldn't go to a local game. I've been meaning to go to a Limerick v Cork game.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

dan1895 wrote: »
    Funny that not one of the dozens of people I've brought to Tolka over the years received anything but a warm welcome from the regulars no matter who they supported.

That’s presumably because they were with you, a regular.

The one LOI game I went to the supporters were huddled under a shed passing a bottle of vodka around. Locker room talk galore, most of the time was spent on social media trying to show how hardcore they were.

Some of the chanting was obnoxious ‘**** English Football’ ‘Bomb the Premier League’ etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The one LOI game I went to the supporters were huddled under a shed passing a bottle of vodka around. Locker room talk galore, most of the time was spent on social media trying to show how hardcore they were.

Some of the chanting was obnoxious ‘**** English Football’ ‘Bomb the Premier League’ etc.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

:D

Advertisement