Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin - €90 Difference from Sterling Prices.

• 03-11-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Thought I might post up my whinge with Maplins.

Message - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=387638

This product is £179 on your website. In the store of Limerick, Ireland your representative quoted me €296 euro.

The conversion comes to €205.

Your representative blamed "head office" for setting this price and stated that prices are set one every 6 months and that this is the reason for the huge price offset.

At no stage during the last 6 months has the sterling vs euro currency been such to explain this massive difference.

VRT is no longer significantly different and nor would delivery from Europe add up to €90.

Generally your prices do not match websites such as Amazon etc, however I have not cared as I do not have to wait for delivery. However this massive price difference has ensured that I will be spending nothing at your stores in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Response
    Dear xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

As an international business that buys products from all over the world, we manage a pricing policy in the Republic of Ireland that takes a number of factors into consideration when we set our local prices. International currency rates which include; Sterling, US dollar and Euro change on a daily basis, other factors such as local taxes, inflation and ultimately the cost of doing business in that country determine and help us set our prices. We try not to alter theses prices substantially but reserve the right to do so.

Our prices in the Republic of Ireland have not changed substantially and it is no our intention for them to do so, regardless of the movements in individual currencies. We do not believe that is the right approach for our business and we still believe that we provide excellent convenience and value for money to our customers on the local basis.

Please contact us if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards

xxxxxxxxx
    Customer Care Department
    Maplin Electronics Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They are way overpriced to other shops here in the south. I was looking for a graphics card a good few months back, where I am Maplin and PC World are in the same retail park and I bought it in PC World as it was nearly a €100 cheaper than the same one in Maplins.

Same with printers, mate of mine out looking for a printer a few weeks ago and Maplins were €20 - €40 dearer than PC World, Currys, Harvey Normans & Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I avoid the place like the plague - rip off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

Jumpy wrote: »
    Thought I might post up my whinge with Maplins.

Message - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=387638

This product is £179 on your website. In the store of Limerick, Ireland your representative quoted me €296 euro.

The conversion comes to €205.

Your representative blamed "head office" for setting this price and stated that prices are set one every 6 months and that this is the reason for the huge price offset.

At no stage during the last 6 months has the sterling vs euro currency been such to explain this massive difference.

VRT is no longer significantly different and nor would delivery from Europe add up to €90.

Generally your prices do not match websites such as Amazon etc, however I have not cared as I do not have to wait for delivery. However this massive price difference has ensured that I will be spending nothing at your stores in future.

Fail to see what Vehicle Registration Tax has to do with the price difference between the UK and Irish stores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bradaid

Same for me . Wento buy a battery charger that I saw on website in UK priced at GBP 29.99, in Dublin the price is Euro 49.99. I got the same 'customer care' standard rubbish back as first post.
    Avoid them until they treat us with some rspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maplin are an absolute rip-off. They actually charge you for a catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Maplins, Denemhams, Argoos, Dune, Wallis, Monsoon, homebase, etc etc etc.

Guess what - they're all UK retailers

They all have a serious over charging issue in their irish stores but the fools we are down here then go north and buy in the EXACT same stores. - So they don't care two bits about changing prices.

then look at groceries - in many cases prices in republic are cheaper now. Why? Tesco were losing out big time to asda & sainsburys because they didn't have stores in the border NI counties. - they dropped prices by an average of 18% since march 2010 (cso figures) and everyone else followed.

What is needed is a total boycott of UK stores with excessive pricing - both here and in the north - then and only then will the money grabbing uk head offices take notice.

But while irish people continue to shop in the same stores in teh north they will sit back laughing.
    they all have

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

91011 wrote: »
    Maplins, Denemhams, Argoos, Dune, Wallis, Monsoon, homebase, etc etc etc.

Guess what - they're all UK retailers

They all have a serious over charging issue in their irish stores but the fools we are down here then go north and buy in the EXACT same stores. - So they don't care two bits about changing prices.

then look at groceries - in many cases prices in republic are cheaper now. Why? Tesco were losing out big time to asda & sainsburys because they didn't have stores in the border NI counties. - they dropped prices by an average of 18% since march 2010 (cso figures) and everyone else followed.

What is needed is a total boycott of UK stores with excessive pricing - both here and in the north - then and only then will the money grabbing uk head offices take notice.

But while irish people continue to shop in the same stores in teh north they will sit back laughing.
    they all have

I wouldn't just narrow this down to UK retailers. Why should native retailers involved in the same game be ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a great site called cataloguecompare.com which shows you the extent of the sterling/irish price conversion rip off alright. I understand the UK businesses should have to charge a little more here due to the cost of running a business in Ireland, but not to the level that they've taken it.

I'm a regular Maplin customer, but not for computer bits. I only buy electronic components from there because even if they are expensive, they're much cheaper than Radionics/Farnell IMO - but for normal run of the mill stuff, even Irish shops can be a lot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Still don't know why people are comparing Euro / Sterling, Why not compare Euro to Euro ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Still don't know why people are comparing Euro / Sterling, Why not compare Euro to Euro ?

Each time that gets brought up, it's ignored.

I've mentioned in the past about the different Euro prices charged by Aldi and Lidl across the Eurozone, for example, but the significance gets lost here. The fact that Austrians on the German border step into Germany to get cheaper goods is irrelevant to the arguments bandied around around on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Each time that gets brought up, it's ignored.

I've mentioned in the past about the different Euro prices charged by Aldi and Lidl across the Eurozone, for example, but the significance gets lost here. The fact that Austrians on the German border step into Germany to get cheaper goods is irrelevant to the arguments bandied around around on this forum.

Exactly ..

I live in the Netherlands and work in Germany, if i'm shopping in Germany I might pickup some stuff thats cheaper than in NL but tbh the hassle isn't worth the money saved.

On the other hand when running low on Diesel im kicking myself because its a good 10c / litre cheaper in NL :)

Advertisement