Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autocar test the Nissan Leaf range

• 23-04-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭

Claimed range 109 miles, actual range (until it stopped) in this test, 74 miles.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/nissan-leaf-electric-car-video-review/

From the video it seems as though the predicted range dropped from 109 miles to 79 miles as soon as the interior fan was switched on. Don't know if there was also a heating element in use. If this was the range reduction just from using the fan then :eek::eek:

Also the car used a lot of charge at motorway speeds. I have some experience of electric cars and vans which have lower top speed than the Leaf and at N road speeds, range is massively reduced. Was hoping that the Leaf would be better but it seems as though the same principle applies to it.

So it seems as though the car is completely unsuited to most high mileage drivers (because of the range issue on open roads) Yet for most city drivers, it's also unsuitable due to the high purchase price and because they're probably not doing enough driving to take advantage of the reduced "fuel" costs compared to a diesel hatch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

when i fist heard of the Leaf i thought of this...

Someone going home from work..starts to snow, heating on, demister,wipers,radio...stuck in traffic, bateries cant last long.
    I cant see the advantage of them over a Insight/Prius

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Considerably more energy is consumed keeping a car moving at 100-120 KM/h than at 50KM/h. More wind resistance etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

On my first day driving the Leaf my estimated range was a meagre 134 kilometres. At first I drove it like my old diesel car. It's not so easy to explain, but as you drive the car it constantly keeps you updated with how much energy you are using or getting back through various displays on the monitor and dash. After a while you begin to notice that the throttle has quite a high resolution and this combined with the constant feedback on energy usage begins to train you to drive in a more energy efficient way. On my second day I woke up and after a full charge the car was telling me my range was 172km, it keeps a record of your driving style, so the range estimation is based on more than just how you drive on the day. It is also based on how you drove the previous days and weeks etc.

Yesterday I had to make two round trips from Celbridge to Clonee via Leixlip. There was fairly varied terrain. A few good hills, back roads and some more open roads. This is a picture of my dash after I got home, 67.9 kilometres travelled and estimated range is 101 kilometres.

156386.jpg

The guy in that video was joking about Nissan saying you should acquire a Zen like state of mind, it's not a million miles from the truth. For me, it just made me far more acutely aware of the correlation between throttle and energy usage. I haven't had it long, but I think figuring out quickly that the throttle had such high resolution and that instead of pressing it 1cm, I could press it 5mm or less and achieve a similar result with less energy used - that was the key for me.

There are other things you start thinking about as well. Like how you don't really want to come to a stop, so instead of maintaining speed, maybe I'll just coast towards that junction (gaining some energy back in regeneration) and then having to use less energy to regain momentum as traffic has hopefully started moving again.

Of course you could do that in a petrol or diesel car, but petrol and diesel cars haven't been designed around informing you so well about your energy usage.

Coming back to how it trains you to drive more efficiently. Yesterday my wife and I drove to a restaurant to have a bite to eat. On the way over my wife drove and she started wondering out loud why the estimated range for her was going down faster than it had for me. I drove on the way home and when we got home, the estimated range was higher than when we had left the restaurant.

Anyway, I've only had the car since Thursday. These are just some of my initial thoughts on the car :)

While I think of it, on the charging. That guy in the video had the Leaf plugged into an ordinary household socket. Charging from home using the free home charger that the ESB provides is a lot faster. I have the charge scheduler in the car set to start charging the car at 00:10 at night so I can take advantage of night rates. I then get an email notification once the the car is fully juiced. It went from 25~30% to 100% in 3 hours, but the dash had said 6 hours. I think the dash calculates based on the car being plugged into an ordinary 220 volt socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Sadly the likes of that autocar report are to be expected and certain to be repeated. Anyone remember the top gear tesla and eagle i-thrust that killed the green stig?:D "Real world" driving is a very relative term. For some it may mean 200-300k per day on a motorway , others perhaps 20k of winding back roads.

I wouldn't have expected the heater or aircon to have the impact it seems to have. I doubt they used the pre-heat , pre-cool option while still plugged in to the charger.

As Sesshoumaru pointed out even the charging wasn't realistic. Any house or business in the country can have a 32amp circuit installed by a competent electrician. This reduces charge time by a huge factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good post, Sesshoumaru. Point taken about driving style but at a steady 60 mph on an open road there's not a whole lot that the driver can do (apart from slowing down) to improve economy. The same is true for IC engined cars but obviously reduced range is far less of an issue with them.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Good post, Sesshoumaru. Point taken about driving style but at a steady 60 mph on an open road there's not a whole lot that the driver can do (apart from slowing down) to improve economy. The same is true for IC engined cars but obviously reduced range is far less of an issue with them.

It's not a perfect car, travelling at higher speeds does consume more energy. I won't try to claim it has no weak points. But on balance, for my family it suits us quite well. The odd journey down to Kerry or maybe over to Galway should be very possible once the the 50kW DC charging stations are in place. It won't be able to make those journeys as fast as an ICE vehicle, but that for us is a small sacrifice.

But yeah clearly if you need long range on a regular basis, it's not the car for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yeah, great post about the whole thing Sesshoumaru. Nice to see we have at least one Leaf driver among our ranks here! I, for one am always pro change for the better, and at the moment, cars like the Leaf need to be looked at objectively and not with the "they're all sh*te" attitude some people have. Hope it works out well for you Sesshoumaru!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I want one but only one gear is so boring. Still hoping some company will make an electric car with a 2-speed or 3 manual gearbox just like the tesla was originally supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Daegerty wrote: »
    I want one but only one gear is so boring. Still hoping some company will make an electric car with a 2-speed or 3 manual gearbox just like the tesla was originally supposed to be

Why? The power out of an electric motor is almost flat and so, from a control point of view, changing gear would be pointless.

The tesla was originally supposed to have two gears - but only for reasons of economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Why? The power out of an electric motor is almost flat and so, from a control point of view, changing gear would be pointless.

The tesla was originally supposed to have two gears - but only for reasons of economy.

Twould still help at the low revs I'd say but probably wouldn't be much point in having more than two gears unless it was an electric SUV or another fairly heavy vehicle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Leaf's Achilles Heel is revealed? STG £19,000+ to replace the batteries!!!!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271129/leaf_battery_could_cost_19k.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The Leaf's Achilles Heal is revealed? STG £19,000+ to replace the batteries!!!!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271129/leaf_battery_could_cost_19k.html

Look what's besides it in the popular news:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/269764/new_bmw_m2_coupe_revealed.html
    Though I doubt they'll be making it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

While I think of it, on the charging. That guy in the video had the Leaf plugged into an ordinary household socket. Charging from home using the free home charger that the ESB provides is a lot faster. I have the charge scheduler in the car set to start charging the car at 00:10 at night so I can take advantage of night rates. I then get an email notification once the the car is fully juiced. It went from 25~30% to 100% in 3 hours, but the dash had said 6 hours. I think the dash calculates based on the car being plugged into an ordinary 220 volt socket.

Would you mind saying how much you paid for the car ?

What would your average weekly miles and costs to charge it be ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

You can find all you answers here in this excellent post by Sesshoumaru:post #21 Electric Vehicles - Your thoughts - MotorMouth, Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

from the comments:
    And if you tried to build a car from spares it would be a lot more expensive than a whole new one at a dealer.

You even say in the 4th paragraph this is a non-story so why run it? Pretty sure you got it from the Times, anyway.

Batteries aren't thrown away they are refurbished at a fraction of the cost of new ones. There are Toyota RAV 4 EVs that have reached 150000 miles on original batteries and 200000 on refurbished ones.

By dpeilow on 11 August, 2011, 6:34pm

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271129/leaf_battery_could_cost_19k.html#ixzz1UkVXru3b

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064332_nissan-leafs-battery-pack-should-last-as-long-as-the-car
    To make the maintenance of the Leaf as easy as possible, the “battery” is actually 48 batteries in a large box which can be replaced individually to keep costs low. Each is connected to the Leaf’s advanced telematics system so Nissan can monitor the health of each module remotely. The price quoted in the press of [$31,795] for an entire battery is not indicative of the actual cost. It is an extrapolation of the individual price of replacing a single battery multiplied by 48. The cost of a conventional engine and transmission built up from individually sourced parts would be similarly high

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Am I reading right that it is only costing €17.84 for 2120km driving?

mickdw wrote: »
    Am I reading right that it is only costing €17.84 for 2120km driving?

€20 would be more accurate, that figure doesn't include VAT @ 13.5%

Much as I detest electric cars, that is a stunning figure to be fair. Something equivalent to 450 mpg at todays petrol prices or 10 times as efficient as typical car.
    surely given those figures, there is huge room to produce proper luxury cars with alot of power and still maintain an efficiency of 2 or 3 times that of even the best diesels at the minute or even package more battery power on board to allow better range which would obviously reduce efficiency but many more people would be tempted by these cars if the range allowed more flexibility of use even if it meant efficiency was half of that of the leaf.

• Advertisement

Much as I detest electric cars, that is a stunning figure to be fair. Something equivalent to 450 mpg at todays petrol prices or 10 times as efficient as typical car.
    surely given those figures, there is huge room to produce proper luxury cars with alot of power and still maintain an efficiency of 2 or 3 times that of even the best diesels at the minute or even package more battery power on board to allow better range which would obviously reduce efficiency but many more people would be tempted by these cars if the range allowed more flexibility of use even if it meant efficiency was half of that of the leaf.

If you have the money... :)

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

*edit*

I see the base model is $50k and has a 160 mile range, not bad I think. Good power and acceleration. RWD as well.

I see the base model is $50k

or €150k when it gets to Ireland. lovely looking car though

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

equivalent to 450 mpg at todays petrol prices or 10 times as efficient as typical car.

You do realise that if there wasn't a night electricity rate and if there was no excise on fuel, an EV would not be more efficient than a diesel car?

Very tax efficient, they are indeed, it must be said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I design battery systems, they are not cheap.

check prices for a single 18650 Cell or a NanoPhosphate (LiFePo4) one from A123.

Now figure out how many cells in series and parrallel needed to drive a 1 ton motor. Its a lot...!, now add the protection circuitry neeeded for all the cells and you can see why they are expensive.

Most Auto Batterys use Nano cells, due to safety and higher thermal breakdowns.

The Tesla's battery is the biggeest and baddest out there, if you wanted to fast charge that you would basically need a massive (massive) generator.

Im not sold on electric vehicels at all....for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

or €150k when it gets to Ireland. lovely looking car though

"Can I import a Model S into a market not supported by Tesla Motors?

Tesla vehicles are designed and built to meet the unique requirements of each market and are physically different country to country as required by law. Customers should reserve Model S in the market they intend to register and drive their vehicle. Exporting cars into different markets is not supported by Tesla Motors."

even if you won the lotto dont think you could get very far with a tesla in Ireland..

unkel wrote: »
    You do realise that if there wasn't a night electricity rate and if there was no excise on fuel, an EV would not be more efficient than a diesel car?

Very tax efficient, they are indeed, it must be said :D

Maybe efficiency is not the right word but the figures dont lie and for now those figures are astonishing. True, if everyone drove one, the night electricity rate would disappear and no doubt the government would slap a load of tax on the electricity in some form or other but for the immediate future, these figure are where it is at and for any buyers who can live with the range and EV characteristics, it is a no brainer. I guess they are 10k overpriced compared to the competition though but when they are available on the used market, that might not be such an issue.

Couldnt have one myself though, I didnt even get round to diesel yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe efficiency is not the right word but the figures dont lie and for now those figures are astonishing. True, if everyone drove one, the night electricity rate would disappear and no doubt the government would slap a load of tax on the electricity in some form or other but for the immediate future, these figure are where it is at and for any buyers who can live with the range and EV characteristics, it is a no brainer.

Agreed, a no brainer if the current tax regime would be maintained, if the current night rates will stay less than half of the day rates, if a competent EV (like we all agree the Leaf is - it's a fine, decent, safe family car) would be a little bit cheaper than €35k (minus €5k subsidy). And if the promises from Nissan about battery durability will hold out to be true

A lot of ifs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

* repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Of course you could do that in a petrol or diesel car, but petrol and diesel cars haven't been designed around informing you so well about your energy usage.

Coming back to how it trains you to drive more efficiently. Yesterday my wife and I drove to a restaurant to have a bite to eat. On the way over my wife drove and she started wondering out loud why the estimated range for her was going down faster than it had for me. I drove on the way home and when we got home, the estimated range was higher than when we had left the restaurant.

Anyway, I've only had the car since Thursday. These are just some of my initial thoughts on the car :)

My wallet does that for me.

My personal best is 1180 km out of 48 litres. (Filled to the brim at the start and filled to the brim after)

Electric cars suffer (or at least will suffer) from the same problems as Diesel/LPG/Petrol cars. Most of the power generation and imported power into Ireland is generated by Gas Turbine or Coal.

Go Nuclear and its feasible.

Renewable just doesnt cut the mustard when it comes to high grid load.

Germany its common to have 3 phase coming into your home, which would significantly reduce charging times, although electricity is bloody expensive.

I wore a t-shirt in work that said "Did you turn off the Immersion?"

All the Germans were asking wtf an Immersion was and when I explained it they all thought it was a crazy idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hammertime wrote: »
    Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good

Electric Bad

Petrol Good