Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Conlan August 3rd Falls Park

• 02-08-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Have tickets for this fight and will be driving up tomorrow afternoon.
    Have tried to email and phone the Féile an Phobail office to see if there's parking available for this event, however they've not replied and the number rings out.

Does anyone know if parking at the event is available?

Fingers crossed someone knows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm sure this will probably be too late but I'd expect there to be next to no car parking available in that area. In fact as far as I know it's a bit of a nightmare getting in and out of it any time they have the Feile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

What channel and time this at

Prelims live now here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wOULw-lSZ4

Main event from 8pm on BT Sport I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

So when will Conlan be fighting someone at his level? Seems like he’s been fighting fodder for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ridiculously long wait for the fight. I'd say most people have left for the night club if they have any sense. Two American lads talking sh1te for the last hour on my coverage here. This is one of the biggest events in Ireland this year, apparently. We are but a simple people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

watched it on BT but actually fell asleep before Conlons fight.

Id be anxious to hear from people that where at the event, because although the atmosphere looked fantastic, it did look extremely partisan and pro republican.

I know Conlon is obviously from that side of the divide in Northern Ireland, but it does seem very noninclusive as opposed to Carl Frampton events.

I know personally i was at 4 of framptons fights and for the outdoor one against Martinez where he won the world title i was in the stands and surrounded by guys from the Shankill, with British tattoos on their arms and there wasnt an ounce of trouble. It was a great atmosphere.

I do wonder if Conlon is just a bit too Irish for the other communities up in the North, it'd be a shame if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

He doesn't endear himself to unionists anyway. He's limited pro boxer. No finishing power. Warrington would destroy him.

clsmooth wrote: »
    So when will Conlan be fighting someone at his level? Seems like he’s been fighting fodder for years now

This aint far off his level. He won't be fighting Stevenson anytime soon- who called out Warrington

I can't warm to Conlan inside or outside the ring tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

lbc2019 wrote: »
    He doesn't endear himself to unionists anyway. He's limited pro boxer. No finishing power. Warrington would destroy him.

I couldn't call Conlan Vs Warrington, neither men are big finishers it'd be an interesting matchup.

• Advertisement

He couldnt stay with Warrington for 10 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Warrington fight is interesting. You'd have to make Warrington a pretty decent favourite but he struggled against the southpaw Galahad last time out. Could see Booth coming up with tactics to give Conlan a chance. Also think Conlan's gas tank has looked very good which would give you hope he could live with Warrington's pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Conlan is making steady progress. He's being guided by actual experts at timing boxers' runs - Top Rank. He also has a very good coach and has that drive and confidence that so many other talented sports people often lack.

Right now I'm not convinced either Warrington or Frampton beat him. In another year's time I'd fancy him over both. Santa Cruz might have a small bit too much at this stage, but again, in a year or so that would be a very interesting fight.

Russell is a bit of an enigma. Serious talent, acquitted himself quite well against the brilliant Lomachenko, but basically fights once a year often against non-descript opposition. He'd beat Conlan right now and I'd still fancy him a year from now, if he's still at the weight. He has been talking about moving up and maybe fighting Gervonta Davis, but as tasty as that is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course, I can't finish without mentioning the FACT that not being a big puncher never stopped countless boxers all over the years from having successful careers. It's nearly laughable at this stage that the great lover of power is no longer posting here but seems to have been replaced by a whole swathe of similar believers. Power is the most overrated attribute in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

megadodge wrote: »
    Conlan is making steady progress. He's being guided by actual experts at timing boxers' runs - Top Rank. He also has a very good coach and has that drive and confidence that so many other talented sports people often lack.

Right now I'm not convinced either Warrington or Frampton beat him. In another year's time I'd fancy him over both. Santa Cruz might have a small bit too much at this stage, but again, in a year or so that would be a very interesting fight.

Russell is a bit of an enigma. Serious talent, acquitted himself quite well against the brilliant Lomachenko, but basically fights once a year often against non-descript opposition. He'd beat Conlan right now and I'd still fancy him a year from now, if he's still at the weight. He has been talking about moving up and maybe fighting Gervonta Davis, but as tasty as that is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course, I can't finish without mentioning the FACT that not being a big puncher never stopped countless boxers all over the years from having successful careers. It's nearly laughable at this stage that the great lover of power is no longer posting here but seems to have been replaced by a whole swathe of similar believers. Power is the most overrated attribute in boxing.

Interesting points but I would disagree about the title holders now. They just have that crucial experience of being in top top fights however as you say in a years time who knows.

I've seen both Conlan and Russell numerous times and that gulf is too much but down the line Conlan can win some belt.

As for how he is perceived in the Belfast community he has made no bones about appealing to his core base. Hence the fight in West Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Conlan ranked 3rd with the WBO now, Frampton down to 5th

Keeler up to 4th with the WBO too

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

gwalk wrote: »
    Conlan ranked 3rd with the WBO now, Frampton down to 5th

Keeler up to 4th with the WBO too

You couldn't make this sh1t up...

MC has fought absolutely nobody worth a w*nk.......

He left the amateur game because it was "corrupt." As corrupt as this ranking?

Nikitin v Conlan back on...

25-1 on is MC

Nikitin is 10-1......has to be worth a ton bet that!

Conlan will knock Nikitin out. Great fight for Mick style wise and publicity wise. Don't think Nikitin is any better than Mick's last few opponents.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Conlan will knock Nikitin out. Great fight for Mick style wise and publicity wise. Don't think Nikitin is any better than Mick's last few opponents.

Can’t be any worse...

I just don’t see 25-1 here. I’d understand if MC was blowing away his opposition, or even facing anything remotely decent; but to date, I see nothing at all to suggest these odds...

In a two horse race, between two men, neither coming close to proving their pro potential....just mad odds..

Conlan will get the decision no matter what way it goes so it's really down to Nikitin getting the KO or stoppage by other means. I'd be slightly tempted to stick a tenner on him all the same... odds will drift closer to the fight as casuals lump on Conlan.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Conlan will get the decision no matter what way it goes so it's really down to Nikitin getting the KO or stoppage by other means. I'd be slightly tempted to stick a tenner on him all the same... odds will drift closer to the fight as casuals lump on Conlan.

Are you implying the con is on?

MC would hardly approve of this, based off his Rio grievance....

I don’t think it at all not possible that Nikitin could get the nod in a points fight...As in both boxers being judged fairly...

Throw in cuts/injuries, and this 10-1 is very tempting...

Have you watched Nikitin in his pro fights to date? Has clearly lost rounds and looked pretty awful. For all the negativity around Mick's pro career so far he hasn't even lost a round in 12 fights to my eyes.

Nikitin peaked in the amateurs. Small pressure fighter with 300+ fights. He's 28 now and clearly already regressing. Conlan stops him.

Have you watched Nikitin in his pro fights to date? Has clearly lost rounds and looked pretty awful. For all the negativity around Mick's pro career so far he hasn't even lost a round in 12 fights to my eyes.

Nikitin peaked in the amateurs. Small pressure fighter with 300+ fights. He's 28 now and clearly already regressing. Conlan stops him.

I have watched both. Both looked bang average. I cannot see either being so favoured...that is more my point...their caliber of opposition has been dreadful

This is like a clean slate fight...Their previous pro fights telling me very little..

walshb wrote: »
    I have watched both. Both looked bang average. I cannot see either being so favoured...that is more my point...their caliber of opposition has been dreadful

This is like a clean slate fight...Their previous pro fights telling me very little..
    Conlans last few opponents have not been dreadful. Conlan has made them look dreadful. The fella Conlan fought on Paddy's Day this year very nearly beat Isaac Lowe last month. Most scored it a draw, Lowe got the decision. Lowe is a decent fighter who drew with Ryan Walsh. Nikitin wouldn't beat any of these guys.

Conlan is already operating at a much higher level. Dunno why it's so hard to understand why he's being favoured.

Conlans last few opponents have not been dreadful. Conlan has made them look dreadful. The fella Conlan fought on Paddy's Day this year very nearly beat Isaac Lowe last month. Most scored it a draw, Lowe got the decision. Lowe is a decent fighter who drew with Ryan Walsh. Nikitin wouldn't beat any of these guys.

Conlan is already operating at a much higher level. Dunno why it's so hard to understand why he's being favoured.

I believe he should be favoured.

Just not this heavily...And he probably will win. Better boxer..

Regarding his opponents. You can dress it up any which way; they are very weak...

Are you implying the con is on?

I just don't see any way Conlan doesn't win this as he's the A side with Arum backing him.

weemcd wrote: »
    I just don't see any way Conlan doesn't win this as he's the A side with Arum backing him.

Ok...

I don’t disagree.

Level playing field do you think 25/1 on here is justified?

Ok...

I don’t disagree.

Level playing field do you think 25/1 on here is justified?

Probably not, but I'm not really a fan of Conlan's style tbh. I find him one paced and limited. He's in trouble when he faces someone with a bit of power and work rate, but I don't think he's in much danger for this one.

I see Mick is at number 1 now with WBO......:rolleyes:

Jaysus, surely you need to beats even a half decent opponent to get a half decent rating?

• Advertisement
Advertisement