Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Visual Effect On Water

• 04-06-2019 8:34pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

2s7858l.jpg
    The attached image was taken at sunset, and the lines on the water were visible to the naked eye for at least a half hour (at which point I left). The lines were static, and not related to the movement of the water. Can anyone explain what caused this effect?

I have no idea what forum this fits in, this is my best guess!

Comments

• Oryx wrote: »
    C7yXntr
    The attached image was taken at sunset, and the lines on the water were visible to the naked eye for at least a half hour (at which point I left). The lines were static, and not related to the movement of the water. Can anyone explain what caused this effect?

I have no idea what forum this fits in, this is my best guess!

Isn't currently working. Interested in seeing it though.

Edit. I looked at the image hidden in your post in my browser.

I wonder if the tide did a 90 degree ish change of direction (if that's possible) and is now running over mini sand dunnes, which is causing the mini waves on top.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Fixed the image. Sorry its been a while since I used image tags!

The lines didnt move at all, and the wave flow was perpendicular. I watched this for a good half hour, the lines didnt change in any way.

Edit, I also walked around 500m along the clifftop and could see these all the way.

• Oryx wrote: »
    Fixed the image. Sorry its been a while since I used image tags!

The lines didnt move at all, and the wave flow was perpendicular. I watched this for a good half hour, the lines didnt change in any way.

Edit, I also walked around 500m along the clifftop and could see these all the way.

Waves go up and down in the same place if going over a "bump".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The water was rising and falling, in the opposite direction. The lines didnt seem to be caused by that. I only took the picture because I actually thought my eyes were decieving me. :)

Expected something interesting and got a picture of the sea.......

OP, is this your first time at the beach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Op...it’s most likely a rip currant or rip tide, out at sea, (can cause a crisis cross pattern too.... called a cross sea)

Advertisement