Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The Nal wrote: »
    Give over lads its Islamophobia which is racism.

Put it this way, you would be instantly fired from any company in the world saying that to a Muslim lad in any office. Rightly so.

It actually isn’t. Islam isn’t a race. Discriminatory might be a better word to describe it before you start accusing someone of being racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Moving away from his Conor Trump tweet, I'd say Paulie is visibly shaking with anger after all the pics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The Nal wrote:
    Hes hardly Richard Dawkins here lads. He posted a picture of Khabibs wife on Twitter and basically called her a towel head.

I won't lie the second photo just of her, I genuinely thought mcgregor had cut in a photo of someone with a bath towel over their head.

It's like posting a picture of somebody in a purple suit and saying they look like Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He is insulting an entire religion and how they treat women.

They should be insulted for how they treat women. Just not to sell tickets to a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Duff wrote: »
    Moving away from his Conor Trump tweet, I'd say Paulie is visibly shaking with anger after all the pics :pac:

This one was the best. The one on the right.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1113258389700796416

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wish they'd release the video of that sparring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Give over lads its Islamophobia which is racism.

Put it this way, you would be instantly fired from any company in the world saying that to a Muslim lad in any office. Rightly so.
    You should probably learn what racism is.
    Islam isn't a race
    Muslim isn't a race

Anyway, am I alone in not wanting to see the Khabib rematch yet?
    He was too rusty the first time, I doubt much has changed, given the whiskey tour etc.

One or two tune up fights to sharpen the skills again and then have a go at Khabib again. Result may be the same, but he'll at least have a slightly better chance this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭pdev

McGregor mocks Flyod Mayweather = racist
    McGregor mocks Khabib = Islamophobe

Damn social justice warriors!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You should probably learn what racism is.
    Islam isn't a race
    Muslim isn't a race

Anyway, am I alone in not wanting to see the Khabib rematch yet?
    He was too rusty the first time, I doubt much has changed, given the whiskey tour etc.

One or two tune up fights to sharpen the skills again and then have a go at Khabib again. Result may be the same, but he'll at least have a slightly better chance this time.

I don't think there is any tune up fight given that he wants to be the main event.
    I'd also suspect that he has looked at that Khabib fight and looked at what he could do better and focus on it quite a bit.
    That means nothing do unless he can do it in the Octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She does look like a towel though. :confused:

It's a pretty sad picture in fairness.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I don't think there is any tune up fight given that he wants to be the main event.
    I'd also suspect that he has looked at that Khabib fight and looked at what he could do better and focus on it quite a bit.
    That means nothing do unless he can do it in the Octagon.
    Oh I fully expect him to attack more than the first fight.
    He's still rusty though, so I don't see it going any better unless he pings the head off someone else first to get his timing etc back to where it was

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭pdev

He came into the Khabib fight with his hands down, walking forward with disregard for Khabib's abilities. He would approach a second fight completely differently, attacking more, but also respecting Khabib's ground game.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Am a big Conor fan but this pic of Khabib wife is going too far, not surprised he took it down. You cannot insult another’s fighters wife especially Muslim wife, it’s far worse than insulting his father. Conor needs to be more careful with this Muslim insulting, sure it’s funny but he could be bringing on lot more problems for his other than a bad beating from Khabib. It doesn’t look like he is gonna tone it down from the previous fight, if the rematch is announced.
    I know you mean well, and is absolutely the right attitude.
    But saying things like "especially Muslim women" and the insinuation that he might have bigger problems (as we all know what that means), is in itself kinda prejudice.

I think prejudice is the correct word. I dunno. But people pointing out that Islam isn't technically a race is a pretty weak arguement. We all know, what people are getting at.

But then on the other hand, it's not ok to discriminate women because of religion or other cultural reasons.

blah blah blah , it's far too complex and serious for this place lads. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I dont buy into this oh he had ring rust, he was out too long before the khabib fight. If you agree sign contract walk to octagon...youre ready

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Do you know any Muslims? Thats very offensive to most of them yeah.

I think all religions are silly but acceptance and all that.

And it should be accepted that religious ideas, alongside any ideas, should be open to criticism.

Would you have been saying the same when Rubberbandits went on the Late Late Show and called communion "Haunted Bread"? Of course not. And what's the difference here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

dave1982 wrote: »
    I dont buy into this oh he had ring rust, he was out too long before the khabib fight. If you agree sign contract walk to octagon...youre ready

Well that’s just not true.

Signing a contract doesn’t equate to any way of been sharp and ready for a fight physically.

Nonsense.

Yes I agree well he shouldn’t have signed it if he wasn’t ready and that’s his fault but doesn’t mean he wasn’t rusty.

Well that’s just not true.

Signing a contract doesn’t equate to any way of been sharp and ready for a fight physically.

Nonsense.

Yes I agree well he shouldn’t have signed it if he wasn’t ready and that’s his fault but doesn’t mean he wasn’t rusty.
    Point is dont make excuses for a loss like rusty. He knows his body how he feels. He should know and if he dont its his fault

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that he was too distracted by the nonsense leading up to the fight and being too cocky in the ring. The retraction from being cocky to going on the defense in the Octogon probably looked like ring rust.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Point is dont make excuses for a loss like rusty. He knows his body how he feels. He should know and if he dont its his fault
    Has he said himself that he was rusty?
    I thought that was more an observation from everyone who watched it.

Absolutely didn't give full respect to Khabibs skills and paid for it, I'd hope he'd have a bit more sense for the rematch, if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ Spleerbun

Have to laugh at the people claiming racism and islamaphobia. No doubt the same people who think offering a drink to someone who doesn't drink is racist as well.

Must be nice for the likes of khabib to know they can use any insult they like but should someone dare respond he'll have the protection of the professionally outraged. Talk about privilege eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And it should be accepted that religious ideas, alongside any ideas, should be open to criticism.

Would you have been saying the same when Rubberbandits went on the Late Late Show and called communion "Haunted Bread"? Of course not. And what's the difference here?

Exactly.

Both pretty mundane items given some sort of importance by their respective religions.

Both are equally open to ridicule by people that don't subscribe to the religions.

Or even those that do.

Just because one of these religions happens to be more 'sensitive' than the other shouldn't change anything.

It does look like a towel. Why shouldn't people be able to point that out.

**edit just to say I'm talking about this towel comment, and this alone. All the "mad backwards c**t" stuff pre fight was definitely islamophobic and not in any way funny.**

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

If Khabib starts going on about Islamaphobia or any of the rest of it, Conor should direct him to his mysogynstic comments on how women belong in the home.

Stones and glass houses etc.

Conor wasn't right to say it, but it is merely mocking and certainly doesn't fit the definitions of racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

VW 1 wrote: »
    If Khabib starts going on about Islamaphobia or any of the rest of it, Conor should direct him to his mysogynstic comments on how women belong in the home.

Stones and glass houses etc.

Conor wasn't right to say it, but it is merely mocking and certainly doesn't fit the definitions of racist.

And here lies the issue. If you, I, or Conor McGregor decide to call out the fact that this is wrong, is that Islamophobic? By the standards set out earlier in the thread, some would be calling it racist!

I'm all for respecting religious beliefs, or any beliefs. but it should also be respected that others will not hold those same beliefs and if they think that people eating "Haunted Bread" on a Sunday is silly, they should be allowed say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

She does look like a towel though. :confused:

It's a pretty sad picture in fairness.

Is a ceremonial dress. Is the custom in that particular area. She isn't gonna be walking around liked that all of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

zapitastas wrote: »
    Is a ceremonial dress. Is the custom in that particular area. She isn't gonna be walking around liked that all of the time

So he didn’t offend his wife as she doesn’t actually look like a towel?

No big deal.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Has he said himself that he was rusty?
    I thought that was more an observation from everyone who watched it.

Absolutely didn't give full respect to Khabibs skills and paid for it, I'd hope he'd have a bit more sense for the rematch, if there is one.

Sorry thats what i meant. People here saying it. Conor felt he was ready so no one should make excuses for him is what i meant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wish they'd release the video of that sparring

I thought Netflix was going to release a documentary about the sparing secession's. Hopefully its out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought Netflix was going to release a documentary about the sparing secession's. Hopefully its out soon

A documentary about sparring sessions, sounds riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ali going in on McGregor from Khabibs account

Check out @TeamKhabib’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1113488568037593088?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: I have moved a lot of the talk from the other thread today to here, have some common sense folks and stop creating needless work for me.

As for the above post, you have been told about the rules on here as regards to what is allowed do not ignore them..

Advertisement