Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems using Channel 4od this week?

• 14-10-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

For the past few days im getting 'an error has occured when trying to play a chosen programme. Anyone else having the same problem :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

It's the same with me. Perhaps an e-mail of complaint can be sent. Check the Channel 4 website.

Here's how to make a complaint:
    http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/contact-us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeffbluesmoke

hi all ex-eircom isp tech here

checked the connection with Eircom - failed got the same error 'an error has occured when trying to play a chosen programme'

checked with Clearwire - streaming perfect

issue appears to be with eircom DNS or 4oD blocking people routing from Eircom

Solution -

manually enter yourself and IP address, subnet and Gateway and give yourself the OpenDNS servers

First DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

tested on xp/unix/win7/ios5

jeffers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just tried it and it seems to be working fine for me.

Mind you, using 4OD always brings the risk of seeing that promo with David Mitchell and his ergonomic management keyboard, which annoys me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeffbluesmoke

firefox and adblock plus = no ads (still love that ergonomic keyboard bit though)

• Advertisement

checked the connection with Eircom - failed got the same error 'an error has occured when trying to play a chosen programme'

Solution -

manually enter yourself and IP address, subnet and Gateway and give yourself the OpenDNS servers

jeffers
    Why would 4oD block people routing from eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Solution -

jeffers

Sorry to be so clueless, but how do I do this ??? My 4OD is still not working, another eircom customer here and never had problems with 4od before, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rockys Lover

cheers jeffbluesmoke, my True Blood viewing is sorted!

Solerina - Control panel, network connections - should be easy from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks Jeff, its working now but the 4od site seemed to take a long time to load:confused: Could changing dns options effect broadband speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 profsasquatch

We were having the same problem and contacted Channel 4 directly, they were very helpful and confirmed that they do provide their service to the RoI with no restriction (see the FAQs on their own) and suggested several things to try to resolve the issue. Having attempted all the solutions 4oD suggested with no success, I contacted Eircom directly. Initially they tried to fob me off but eventually I had the situation resolved with the same work-around that jeffbluesmoke recommended.

But, why are Eircom's own DNS servers currently not allowing people to view 4oD content? 4oD is the only UK content provider I'm aware of that makes their content freely available to users in the RoI and yet the country's biggest ISP's default DNS servers aren't allowing people to view the content. Maybe it's the sceptic in me, but the only reason I can think of is that they are saving themselves a lot of bandwidth (=money) by stopping people streaming 4oD content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't see what gain it would be for them and they are not blocking RTÉ Player or TV3/TG4's catch up service.

Like I said, I'm on Eircom and having no problems with 4OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 B.Racker

No 4 OD for a week !!

Will try a TOR solution and post results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 profsasquatch

icdg wrote: »
    I don't see what gain it would be for them and they are not blocking RTÉ Player or TV3/TG4's catch up service.

Like I said, I'm on Eircom and having no problems with 4OD.

Like I said I'm a bit of a sceptic. But RTE, TV3 & TG4 are all, located in Ireland and operate on a network that is already largely run/owned by Eircom and they would likely be paying Eircom or someone else who pays Eircom to use Eircom's network. 4oD comes from the UK so Eircom would have to pay someone else.

I may well be wrong but seeing as it appears to be a problem with Eircom's DNS servers, or the ones they use, as the work around is to bypass their default DNS servers, it would be great if they sorted it out as some of us are having problems.

Solution -

jeffers
    Thanks, jeffbluesmoke. My sister studied this and figured out the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Solution -

jeffers

where are you entering this from the router is it?
    and what IP add. do you use the one already there?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I couldn't figure out how to configure the DNS with the instructions above but the below instructions helped:

http://thomasgeraghty.wordpress.com/...ch-to-opendns/

This is thanks to Richard tea who posted it in the Arts board (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75409914#post75409914)

So glad to have my 4OD back :D

Go to the Start Menu, at bottom left hand corner of computer screen.

Go to Control Panel - Network Connections

Right-click on "Local Area Conection - Click on "properties"

Scroll down to "Internet Protococl (TCP/IP)"
    Highlight and click "Properties"

Click "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Fill in Preferred DNS server 208.67.222.222

Alternative DNS Server 208.67.220.220

Click OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mum2be

Hi endakenny, I've been following this on Boards for a few weeks as I can't get 4OD either.
    When it comes to filling in the preferred dns server number 208.67.222.222 it tells me that the network address entered is invalid. Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

@mum2be I'm only after trying this a minute ago and it works. cheers enda

make sure it's Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) that your doing it to, that's the only thing i can thing of but that mightn't even be right. It definitely works though so give it another go

batistuta9, thanks, I was able to enter the numbers on version 4 but I've still no luck with 4OD. Anyone else able to help? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi, I'm trying the tutorial that was mentioned in a previous post, hope I've luck with that.

Hi, got it and it's working. Thanks for posting these solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thank god for google, and finding this! Ive been wondering for weeks why 4OD wasnt working, emailed them and got no joy.

This fix has worked perfectly. :D:D

Id love to know why its an Eircom problem though, and why they havent sorted it out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

thanks for the DNS workaround folks

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

Eek it's still not working for me. Do i need to reset modems or do anything else special after i put in the DNS numbers?

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Any ideas how to implement that fix on a mac? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

pow wow wrote: »
    Any ideas how to implement that fix on a mac? Cheers.

Second that! Can't get it working on Safari, Chrome and Firefox... used to work fine all the time but since they updated the website I can't get it to work at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dr.pepper123

*bump* another mac user looking for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

A friend gave me the following fix which has worked on my Tiger mac:

Go to Apple icon > System Preferences > Network ( wireless option ) > configure > TCP/IP tab

In the DNS Servers box use the following DNS addresses (separating the rows by hitting enter)

Click 'Apply Now'.

That's with Eircom btw. Hope it works for you guys too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 adcom

Hi All,

Thanks for posting this thread. My 4od isnt working either, however i am a UPS internet customer, not eircom. i have the latest version of flash player etc and i was watching content on 4od last week but this week nothing- not even an error message:confused:. it lets me press play, warns me of language etc and then it does nothing- no error message or anything- the picture on the screen just stays there. The youtube channel isnt working for me either. Any ideas od solutions would be well appreciated!!

Thanks a million!!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement