Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

oceanfree.net login problems?

• 27-06-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

About 10 mins ago my username and password to oceanfree.net has stoped working, can anyone tell me is there a problem or has my account been stolen?

An error has occurred
    W10: Cannot login to host (pop.oceanfree.net:110)
    W11: User or Password incorrect for account (-ERR Login failed.)
    W13: POP open failed
    W14: Login failed, try again
    W15: Logging out user {account@pop.oceanfree.net} )
    W20: User login error

a ping to pop.oceanfree.net failed, server down?
    Sorry im just panicing a bit here please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Scram wrote: »
    About 10 mins ago my username and password to oceanfree.net has stoped working, can anyone tell me is there a problem or has my account been stolen?

An error has occurred
    W11: User or Password incorrect for account (-ERR Login failed.)
    W13: POP open failed
    W14: Login failed, try again
    W15: Logging out user {account@pop.oceanfree.net} )
    W20: User login error

a ping to pop.oceanfree.net failed, server down?
    Sorry im just panicing a bit here please help.

happening to me with a few accounts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

phew ok at least its not my account gone, thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Scram wrote: »
    phew ok at least its not my account gone, thanks for replying

They are down at the moment.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Cheers lads,
    Same problem here, so I guess its just a sit and wait situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's back now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Anyone else still having problems with this? I'm still getting an error similar to the OP when I try webmail and when I try with Thunderbird it craps out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LibraMan

I just tried to access an Oceanfree mail account I haven't used in years. I can log on to the webmail interface and view the contents of my inbox the last time I checked mail. But when I try to retrieve new mail I get the error:

E28: Error reading from pop/smtp (Success)
    W11: User or Password incorrect for <my user name> (-ERR Temporary problem, please try again later

I have another account that has no problem. It seems the webmail and POP passwords are out of sync for the old account. The 'Help' and 'Forgot Your Password?' links on the Oceanfree site are broken! :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Guys, get some new email accounts.

Oceanfree is what, 5mb of space? Awful web interface that will never be upgraded (hasn't been for years) and has a really interesting bug where if you type in the @oceanfree.net part of your mail address instead of just the username it fubars your account and is basically unfixable.

This is probably what happened to your account LibraMan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Wonderful....meh it doesn't look like it's going to be fixed at this stage. I was mainly using it for boards mails and a few other mailing lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭montydorito

i use g-mail off google 5stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

who still uses that awful email?
    I used it back in 2001 for like 10 days and then joined hotmail, then yahoo, then walla, then gmail and now back to good ol' yahoo(Best interface EVER)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickmaca

Hi there, does anybody know how to close down a dormant E-Mail account at Oceanfree.net, as I keep getting spam messages delivered to the Oceanfree.net account and I don't use it anymore but the messages are being forwarded to my present G-Mail account. Proper pain in the ass. :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mickmaca wrote: »
    Hi there, does anybody know how to close down a dormant E-Mail account at Oceanfree.net, as I keep getting spam messages delivered to the Oceanfree.net account and I don't use it anymore but the messages are being forwarded to my present G-Mail account. Proper pain in the ass. :mad:

In Gmail settings just remove the OceanFree email account under Settings>Accounts should work? I doubt it's possible to have these accounts closed down as the companies keeping them going wouldn't be keen on maintaining them I imagine. A lot of these will possibly go the Unison.ie road.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Oceanfree?

It worked, Marty!

back-future-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The first providers of fee internet access with free email in Ireland :cool:

I still have my oceanfree.net email address and use it daily, it's about 17 /18 years old now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

I too have an oceanfree account and like it, just recently I cannot send email out. I still recieve them fine. Can you tell me what the outgoing SMTP needs to be now? I have it as iol, maybe they shut it down for 2014?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I too have an oceanfree account and like it, just recently I cannot send email out. I still recieve them fine. Can you tell me what the outgoing SMTP needs to be now? I have it as iol, maybe they shut it down for 2014?

For SMTP you should use your current ISPs one, let us know your ISP and we can advise you on the SMTP server to use

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I too have an Oceanfree email account and I continue to get requests for bookings for a business I was involved in that closed in 2004 :)
    The old webpage for the business is still floating around in the ether somewhere and people keep emailing me on my Oceanfree account looking to make a booking. In fact I think thats the only thing I get through my Oceanfree account (well besides the millions of spam emails!!) maybe I should shut it down....nah I think I will keep it for the memories and until they shut it down for me :P

tui0hcg wrote: »
    I too have an Oceanfree email account and I continue to get requests for bookings for a business I was involved in that closed in 2004 :)
    The old webpage for the business is still floating around in the ether somewhere and people keep emailing me on my Oceanfree account looking to make a booking. In fact I think thats the only thing I get through my Oceanfree account (well besides the millions of spam emails!!) maybe I should shut it down....nah I think I will keep it for the memories and until they shut it down for me :P

Maybe you should re-open the business :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I switched to SKY last year, but the email was working after that. Before that I was with Vodafone, not IOL. Let me know what you think the SMTP should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I didn't think oceanfree was still going. I used it back in 2000 and ended up writing an expletive laden email to their admin saying what a **** site they had and have not typed the words oceanfree.net since that day until now. It dosent sound like they have improved things since either.

I switched to SKY last year, but the email was working after that. Before that I was with Vodafone, not IOL. Let me know what you think the SMTP should be.

Try,

smtp.tools.sky.com

cheers... but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

Hi guys,
    I would say the Oceanfree geeks didn't think such as question/ feat would be attempted ;-) but I have had someone ask me could I setup their Oceanfree email account on their iPhone. See the settings I have tried below, any suggestions of what else to try? My feelin is that it isn't possible and change of email provider is on the cards!!

Error message I get is: The IMAP server "(null)" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "Incoming Mail Server" field. same error for POP but substitute "IMAP" for "POP" in the message.

I have attempted both IMAP and POP

Email: XXX@oceanfree.net
    Incoming:
    Hostname: mail.oceanfree.net
    Username: xxx@oceanfree.net and first part of email address minus @oceanfree.net
    Password: xxx
    Outgoing:
    Hostname: smtp.oceanfree.net and smtp.o2.ie

Advertisement