Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil burner out of oil

• 11-04-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Can anybody please guide me thru what to do to restart my Firebird oil burner after oil ran out while it was on ?
    I've had a delivery of oil, but burner won't restart on switching it back on. It's a Firebird Hideaway 90 from 1997. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks to some help I got, I opened a screw situated underneath the actual boiler machine, to the front of the spot where the oil feeding flexi pipe enters the machine (inside the encasement). The reason for this is that I simply can't reach the flexi pipe entrance behind. Having done that, nothing happened i.e. neither air nor oil came out (bled).
    However, on the outside of the boiler encasement, there is a joint on the oil feeder pipe, just where it changes from being a rubber plastic pipe to the aforementioned flexi pipe. This looks like an old 20p coin and is a pump action joint. Be pumping repeatedly, air then oil came out of the screw under the boiler I had opened. So be sure to leave a bowl underneath.
    So I thought I was sound, let the oil come out, tightened up the screw and fired the boiler two or three times.
    Each time the firing sequence did get further than had been the case before bleeding.
    But still it is not firing. It continues to cut out after maybe 15 secs.
    Can anybody help ? What do I do now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

If the boiler has run out of oil, then the chances are that its taken up dirt in it somewhere. Not sure about each spoiler specifics, but to the bottom left on my one there's a big long bolt. I removed it, allowed the oil to squirt out, pressed the button to reset the machine and bingo. Takes a few goes though. There shoud be an obvious bleed point on the burner side.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Are you sure you have bled it properly?. If the burner is a riello( standard on most firebirds) you need to take the red cover off, at the bottom left hand side there is a nut just below the pressure regulator( which is black and is adjustable with a flat head screwdriver, don't adjust this!!) . Loosen the nut slowly ( not completely) until it starts to bubble,( have a jar handy to catch drops of fuel). When it stops bubbling and there is a small but steady flow of fuel tighten it again. Your boiler should start after one or two starts.
    If this doesn't work you need to clean the fuel filter. Starting your boiler shortly after getting a refill can clog up the filter as sediment on the bottom of the tank doesn't have time to settle. Be sure to close the tap at the tank before you open the filter enclosure. If the filter looks dirty just give it a wipe and put it back.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Connacht wrote: »
    Can anybody please guide me thru what to do to restart my Firebird oil burner after oil ran out while it was on ?
    I've had a delivery of oil, but burner won't restart on switching it back on. It's a Firebird Hideaway 90 from 1997. Thanks.

Read this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255246

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

See page 15 in this PDF link, the section on "priming the pump". http://www.firebird.ie/installation/S-Range-MANUAL.pdf

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement