Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda vs Integra

• 23-11-2008 11:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody from the DMR north know if this integra got away??

Happened in coolock according to the video.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lol @ all the cars chasing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭cson

3 undercover Mondeo's
    1 Marked Landcruiser(??)
    1 Marked Mondeo
    1 Unmarked Toyota Camry

Wtf did that lad do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hmmmmm thats pretty dangerous driving on the part of the guards. I dont think they should be bombing it around an estate on the wrong side of the road tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

An oul Integra......I wonder if the Dog Unit came along later in the programme ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Hmmmmm thats pretty dangerous driving on the part of the guards. I dont think they should be bombing it around an estate on the wrong side of the road tbh

No one knows what offending vehicle had done though so cant really comment on Garda driving... it must be something serious though as control let that chase continue through a housing estate at that time of the day with 6 mobiles behind it. I don't know of any station in the DMR north atm with a camry either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Camry is OCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Chief--- wrote: »
    Camry is OCU.

Must have been something pretty serious so... not very often ya see them lads in chases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Whats so ironic is that there was probably another 10 cars on the other end of coolock trying to get him. Otherwise all these cars are just wasting by travelling in the same direction.

And either way, three properly equipped garda cars with good drivers and no more than two people in each car, maybe a motorbike and a helicopter to maintain co-ordination of the vehicle, would take that driver out within a few minutes.

But the way that clip seems, there was probably about 10 or 15 cars, with two or even three people in each going on a wild goose chase for hours, and see how far behind they were on the car.

I'm probably talking through my hole here, but if you compare everything to the american or english equivalent, things just seem so illogical in the gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Whats OCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

jimboddb wrote: »
    Whats OCU?

In Order of Malta/Mountain Rescue - it's operational command unit... I'd imagine it's the same for gardaí. It's basically the base station...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

All occupants where arrested, just up the road, the gearbox gave in. That was only half the Garda cars that arrived on scene. And I am not joking, there was easily 20-25 cars at the scene.

He refused too pull over for a traffic stop.

On the part of the garda driving, I know that turn well, its marked with a continuous white line around the bent as it is a blind spot too your right, very lucky a car anything was not coming around that corner.

Not even the corner in itself, but the sheer speed they are driving at threw a built up housing estate at, easily 50-60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

well you see the Gardai asked him politely to stop at the checkpoint and instead of doing so he put the foot down and proceeded to ram straight through said checkpoint in a stolen car. Prey tell, your way of handling it? Simple let people obey of disobey depending on how honest they are feeling?
    nevf wrote: »
    And either way, three properly equipped garda cars with good drivers and no more than two people in each car, maybe a motorbike and a helicopter to maintain co-ordination of the vehicle, would take that driver out within a few minutes.

First, whats the bike going to do except get rammed? And you think getting the helicopter up and over there is a better use of equipment than 3 extra cars?
    I'm probably talking through my hole here, but if you compare everything to the american or english equivalent, things just seem so illogical in the gardaí.

Comparing an American and UK police show to a video on someones mobile which was clearly pre-arranged, yep you certainly are.
    In Order of Malta/Mountain Rescue - it's operational command unit... I'd imagine it's the same for gardaí. It's basically the base station...

Again your wrong, Please stop talking now.
    msg11 wrote: »
    All occupants where arrested, just up the road, the gearbox gave in. That was only half the Garda cars that arrived on scene. And I am not joking, there was easily 20-25 cars at the scene

Evidently the Gardai knew what they were doing then so.
    He refused too pull over for a traffic stop.
    You dont get 25 cars including traffic and OCU for failing to stop . That many cars would be pretty much the whole of the northside and a few more.
    On the part of the garda driving, I know that turn well, its marked with a continuous white line around the bent as it is a blind spot too your right, very lucky a car anything was not coming around that corner.

Not even the corner in itself, but the sheer speed they are driving at threw a built up housing estate at, easily 50-60.

So the answer is too simple wave on criminals who dont want to stop is it? Maybe call in to them a few days later and hope they feel like being honest.
    Chief--- wrote: »
    Camry is OCU.

Camry is a standard car in a lot of stations. DMR NC has more than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I thought it was Organised Crime Unit. :confused:

Look, Its the manor in which they go about stopping the car that pisses me off. There are plenty of Garda cars on hand too stop the car, then too be absolutely flying around a housing estate at 3:00PM in the afternoon, in rush hour traffic.

There are kids filming the chase for god sake, what if one the kids walked out too see where the Honda went and the Garda car flying up that road, not a chance would it have stopped.

You just have too look at the video, the Garda are driving the exact same as the Honda which is on the run, and taking the corner like something you would see on a WRC track.

So what I am saying is, stop them and follow them, but not like this. Cause, that is not safe driving, at all. And I am sure that is not how you are trained too drive around corners, cause the first two cars are under steering.

I also said 20-25.

Look, Its the manor in which they go about stopping the car that pisses me off. There are plenty of Garda cars on hand too stop the car, then too be absolutely flying around a housing estate at 3:00PM in the afternoon, in rush hour traffic.

There are kids filming the chase for god sake, what if one the kids walked out too see where the Honda went and the Garda car flying up that road, not a chance would it have stopped.

You just have too look at the video, the Garda are driving the exact same as the Honda which is on the run, and taking the corner like something you would see on a WRC track.

So what I am saying is, stop them and follow them, but not like this. Cause, that is not safe driving, at all. And I am sure that is not how you are trained too drive around corners, cause the first two cars are under steering.

I also said 20-25.

still said 25. How should we have gone about catching him? Perhaps ran a reg check them waited at a house only to be met by the cars owner wanting to know where his car actually was and who was driving it?

What if we had allowed him to continue and someone had stepped out in front of him? Guaranteed, people would be asking why we had stayed back and not stopped him sooner.

Or how about some concern for the Gardai's safety? No one is concerned about them being injured or killed catching criminals and attempting to protect YOU.

Look, he didnt run because he forgot his license on the kitchen table, use some common sense here and stop second guessing the experts who are, as you said, trained for this.

still said 25. How should we have gone about catching him? Perhaps ran a reg check them waited at a house only to be met by the cars owner wanting to know where his car actually was and who was driving it?

Look, he didnt run because he forgot his license on the kitchen table, use some common sense here and stop second guessing the experts who are, as you said, trained for this.

I just don't get how you can justify on behalf of the Garda driving threw elm mount in a WRC style manor at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. I have my view on this, and you have your view. I'll leave it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I agree with OP about the dangerous Garda driving, it was bad enough one car driving dangerously but 10 of them is OTT, it reminded me of a scene from the blues brothers.

I do think however in those situations the garda should have faster better handling cars.....ff they had something like this the Integra wouldn't have stood a chance and the general public would be a lot safer due to the better handling Grada car...

dscd0742.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I also said 20-25.

How do you suggest they stop them then? The reason all of the cars went around the corner the same was due to the speed of the vehicles. And as Karlitosway1978 suggested it looked stage well the whole part of the dude standing there with his phone filming this and msg11 how do you know these were just kids?

Really gets me people bashing the Garda at every oppurtunity. I do agree there is things about them that annoy me but at the end of it imagine an Ireland without them?

I just don't get how you can justify on behalf of the Garda driving threw elm mount in a WRC style manor at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. I have my view on this, and you have your view. I'll leave it at.

Because they are trying to catch a criminal who may have had a stash of AK's or a million or twos worth of drugs, or a kidnapped person in the booth, or or or or.

Oh and I speak for myself, I dont nor have I ever spoken on behalf of An Garda Siochana or any other member.

You have no plausable alternative so cant back up your critisism. Lets leave it at that

I am not garda bashing, its not meant too come across like that if I did sorry.

The garda, do a great job. And they made arrests in this case. Also, I am talking about there own safety. As seen in the video is first car after the Honda, takes the corner, under steers and fishtails.

I would not have the first idea how too deal with it, but if I was a garda driving one of them cars, my life is more important than killing myself or someone else. Accidents happen, no one is excluded from that. Anyway, I am not a member, but if that driving keeps up its only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I am not garda bashing, its not meant too come across like that if I did sorry.

The garda, do a great job. And they made arrests in this case. Also, I am talking about there own safety. As seen in the video is first car after the Honda, takes the corner, under steers and fishtails.

I would not have the first idea how too deal with it, but if I was a garda driving one of them cars, my life is more important than killing myself or someone else. Accidents happen, no one is excluded from that. Anyway, I am not a member, but if that driving keeps up its only a matter of time.

You think what the Garda did here was bad. I have witnessed some crazy ass driving by US cops while chasing cars. Now thems are some lunatic driving. Live in a small US town in Wisconsin for a few months every year and have witnessed high speed chases around this small town. Cops in some case didn't pay any attention to the pedestrian.

You would get every cop car in that town chasing the car and is this particular town there was 7. The would try preform the pitt manouver where ever possible regardless if safe or not and speed around corners. Now take US built cars they dont corner well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

well you see the Gardai asked him politely to stop at the checkpoint and instead of doing so he put the foot down and proceeded to ram straight through said checkpoint in a stolen car. Prey tell, your way of handling it? Simple let people obey of disobey depending on how honest they are feeling?

Hey man chill out, im just saying that if someone was crossing that road at any one of 5 occasions there they would have been plowed into and killed. That would be slightly more serious than recovering some boy racers 10 year old integra and ensuring the skumbag thief was paraded around the courts for a day before being released imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Well people it would appear to me that ye are shocked by the level of driving from the patrol cars and I suppose if ye had never seen it before then I wouldn't really blame ye.

Thing is this kind of high speed chase is common throughout the country from Dublin to Meath to Offaly to Cork so there is really no need to be shocked at all. Yes it is dangerous for us and for the public but the reality is in this video if an innocent driver or pediastrian was crossing the road in front of the patrol cars, then the Garda driver would probably have put his car into a wall or a tree or whatever to prevent the innocent person being injured. When we say do a dangerous job we mean it and this is just a small visual aid to show ye.

End of the day that driver had to be stopped but not stopped at any cost. Risks were taken but they were calculated risks which worked out well. If memory serves me correctly over all the years and all the chases there has not been a fatality associated with a chase since two Gardai crashed and killed in their unmarked car in North Dublin back in the 1990's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

nevf wrote:

Again your wrong, Please stop talking now.

Ok, All Knowing & Ever so Slightly Condescending One, hows about instead of coming across as an arrogant example of the worst that people see in cops, why don't you actually explain what it does mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I was expecting to see terrible driving by the Gardai with some of the comments here.They were controlled and didn't put anyone's life at risk, the corner wasn't blind, they could see that there was no oncoming cars before they crossed in to the opposite lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Interesting video, never seen a chase like that before.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    I was expecting to see terrible driving by the Gardai with some of the comments here.They were controlled and didn't put anyone's life at risk, the corner wasn't blind, they could see that there was no oncoming cars before they crossed in to the opposite lane.

They were in a Resedential area, I'm no detective but it would have made a lot more sense to block all exits rather than play cops and robbers where small children could be playing....Everyone in that video should be done for dangerous driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Also keep in mind, if anyone was coming from the opposite side of the corner then they would have had their first encounter with the fleeing Integra which was the most dangerous.

As soon as the Integra passed that corner on the wrong side of the road you can hear the sirens as an indication that there are Garda cars on their way around the same corner. I would hope that every driver would see this as a reason to stop and wait, and besides if an accident did happen at the corner it would have involved the Integra as it was the first around. I am not saying the type of driving by the Garda during the chase was safe, but it was a calculated risk and it paid off. While lights and sirens won't magically prevent any accidents, they are there to let drivers know to be alert and stop/move out of the way if need be, such as coming up to corners in housing estates. Just my .2c

was the integra stolen, what was the reason behind the chase...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

was the integra stolen, what was the reason behind the chase...

no the chasing cars were experiencing something known to members of AGS as the 3pm slump....and decided that they'd chase the first car that drove into sight.....that integra was actually being driven by a pensioner who had in fact done nothing wrong.....

my god this fella is a genius....if u were in the guards u'd be promoted....stick to what u know.... *peel back off plaster.....apply plaster to finger....pat self on back for job well done*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement