Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daughters looking for Switch for Christmas

• 03-09-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I hope you can help me. My daughters are looking for a nintendo switch for Christmas and I know absolutely nothing about them. I dont know if one machine can be used by both of them or whether I would need to get two of them. Also when I looked them up you can get consoles that are hand held and cannot be connected to your tv. The girls are 7 & 8. I dont know whether they are too young for this or not, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Hi, I hope you can help me. My daughters are looking for a nintendo switch for Christmas and I know absolutely nothing about them. I dont know if one machine can be used by both of them or whether I would need to get two of them. Also when I looked them up you can get consoles that are hand held and cannot be connected to your tv. The girls are 7 & 8. I dont know whether they are too young for this or not, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get the one that connects to the TV. Regular switch. They just need one. Comes with 2 controllers. Best option. Mario kart and Mario Odyssey are fantastic games that show the whole thing off in its best light. I'd get them physical games as they work out cheaper and you can trade them if they are not clicking with them. Also get yourself a controller so you can play Mario kart with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Mine are 6 and 8 - we got one during lockdown! One works fine as it’s good to share. Best game by far is animal crossing, we have others but they don’t get played

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GreyLady1985

Thanks so much for your response, I will do that ��

Nintendo is mean with Animal Crossing in that you can only have one world/island per console. So, they will have to learn to share that island if you get the gane. This is probably a good social skill for them to learn however. :)

Keep an eye out for a cheaper bundle with a switch and eg mario kart. Might save a few quid.

Note: Nintendo is expensive. But the first party games should last you a long time and you can trade them when you are done with a good return.

Eg

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-neon-console-and-select-game/b/800424

Thanks for that, I imagine bundles will start appearing in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I imagine bundles will start appearing in the coming weeks.

There seems to be loads of switches around now, but they were very hard to come by due to covid. I'd be careful waiting especially if it's for Xmas and there is any other covid issues affecting supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, Christmas is bad usually so imagine what it will be like this year. I've heard of ones starting their shopping already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Id repeat what the others above have said. Don't wait around to buy it. They might be in stock now but that can change quickly.
    One console is enough. And Mario Kart is an essential purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd say the opposite and reckon 2 might be better. You only need one when hooking upto the TV but the beauty of the switch is that it's also handheld. Siblings who are the best of friends will still fight over toys and having one can cause issues if they share it.
    If one has something simple like a cold then they can stay in bed with it without taking it from the other one.

That can work out expensive tho as they will both probably want the same games and you'd end up buying 2 of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭plibige

I'd say do your research yourself and see what you think suits them best.

But basically your choices are the Nintendo Switch or the Switch Lite.

They are the exact same consoles in terms of "any games that work on the Nintendo Switch works on the Switch Lite". But the Nintendo Switch can be played "docked" (connected to the TV) or in handheld mode (like a tablet), hence the name "switch".

The Switch Lite ironically doesn't switch. It can only be played in handheld mode, and doesn't Dock to a TV.

The other major difference between the two variations is that the Switch has "joycons" that detach on the side and are the controllers. This is a unique feature, to the Switch (no other console has anything like this) and could be a "unique selling point" your daughters might be interested in. Google "joycons" and look up videos/articles about it and you'll get the idea. But basically if they want the Joycons get the switch.

The switch lite doesn't have detachable joycons (its basically a tablet) so doesn't have that feature.

The switch lite is €100 cheaper too, but in my opinion you'd need two switch lites, only one switch.

Like has been said already Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing would be the games I'd be looking at for two girls that age. There are tonnes of great Nintendo games, especially for children that age, people will recommend you a few in this thread no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure it's been said already but pick one up as soon as you can. There will be xmas shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Young fellas want a switch as well this Christmas.. so I think I'll take the advice of getting one now

plibige wrote: »
    I'd say do your research yourself and see what you think suits them best.

But basically your choices are the Nintendo Switch or the Switch Lite.

They are the exact same consoles in terms of "any games that work on the Nintendo Switch works on the Switch Lite". But the Nintendo Switch can be played "docked" (connected to the TV) or in handheld mode (like a tablet), hence the name "switch".

The Switch Lite ironically doesn't switch. It can only be played in handheld mode, and doesn't Dock to a TV.

The other major difference between the two variations is that the Switch has "joycons" that detach on the side and are the controllers. This is a unique feature, to the Switch (no other console has anything like this) and could be a "unique selling point" your daughters might be interested in. Google "joycons" and look up videos/articles about it and you'll get the idea. But basically if they want the Joycons get the switch.

The switch lite doesn't have detachable joycons (its basically a tablet) so doesn't have that feature.

The switch lite is €100 cheaper too, but in my opinion you'd need two switch lites, only one switch.

Like has been said already Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing would be the games I'd be looking at for two girls that age. There are tonnes of great Nintendo games, especially for children that age, people will recommend you a few in this thread no doubt

Thanks so much for this, I had looked at the switch lite and thought it might be better to get 2 of them, I will look up the joycons

lawred2 wrote: »
    Young fellas want a switch as well this Christmas.. so I think I'll take the advice of getting one now

Me too, it would be awful if I left it and then couldn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Picked up a Switch last year and honestly think it’s the beat console I ever got. Playing with my two daughters has definitely been huge for me. Even my GF plays it loads.

My kids a bit younger when we bought it at 5 and 3 but a year on still as crazy about it.

Mario Kart as mentioned is a good shout. My youngest loves watching and my eldest plays it with me. She started off using the motion control which was brilliant starting her off.

Pokemon is a hit in my house. Mario Oddysey and Luigis Mansion were also hugely popular.

Zelda was a slow burner but eldest now loves it.

We havnt bought a big release in ages as the Eshop has a ton of great titles and loads of remasters they come along.

I’d say Animal crossing is the likely next proper buy for us

It's the best family friendly, all ages, all sexes console. . And the first party games, although expensive will give you an incredible amount of highly polished, varied entertainment. I would say something like Breath of the Wild is a hugely interactive piece of art. You get way more out of this game than you put into it. Really, it's an astonishing game that you can play with your family.

The joycons can break easily, which is a big screw up but now there are lots of good quality 3rd party pro controllers, so it's not as big a deal as it was.

Definitely get the one that connects to the TV. The games look lovely there and it's much easier to share mario kart , etc on the big screen.

PlayStation and Xbox have loads of tired killing people violently games. They are 18 cert for a reason. And mostly for guys. I have an Xbox too and it's just sad what's available quality wise for kids there. Minecraft, Super Lucky takes and Lego games.

Nintendo seem to be the only company who can spend millions designing original AAA games that anyone can play.

(Edit) Nintendo did not pay for the above advertisement :) and I'll shut up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

I suppose now is the time to start looking for Christmas presents. Whats the best game to pick up at start?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Glebee wrote: »
    I suppose now is the time to start looking for Christmas presents. Whats the best game to pick up at start?

Depends on age and what your kids are into.

The Mario games are pretty good but can be challenging for younger kids. Animal Crossing is a great game but there's only one game option so gameplay would need to be shared among multiple people.

You can't go wrong with Pokemon or Legend of Zelda for older players.

Don't forget independent games via the Switch store: I bought Untitled Goose Game last Christmas and it turned out to be a huge hit with everyone in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just saw this thread now and am following as it suits the likes of me perfectly - somebody who knows next to nothing about them, but whose young lad (six, going on seven) wants one of these.

His birthday is early December so the idea is he gets one then (partly paid by birthday money, partly by Bank of Mam and Dad), and then gets some other games at Christmas too.

He's definitely getting one anyway, because mindful of the shortages during Covid, I actually bought one during July! It's well hidden in a high-up spot though, and there's no way he'll find it before then.

He's already picked out a few of the "mainstream" games that he'd like (e.g. Minecraft, Mario something or other), but would be interested in hearing suggestions for others, preferably low cost, to download too - just like poster above mentioned that Goose Game.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Depends on age and what your kids are into.

The Mario games are pretty good but can be challenging for younger kids. Animal Crossing is a great game but there's only one game option so gameplay would need to be shared among multiple people.

You can't go wrong with Pokemon or Legend of Zelda for older players.

Don't forget independent games via the Switch store: I bought Untitled Goose Game last Christmas and it turned out to be a huge hit with everyone in my house.

Thaks for that. My girl is 9 and all see seems to be interested in if Fortnite and Roblox. I presume thesecan be played on Switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Glebee wrote: »
    Thaks for that. My girl is 9 and all see seems to be interested in if Fortnite and Roblox. I presume thesecan be played on Switch?

Fortnite; yes (even a special European bundle coming Oct 30th https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/a_limited_edition_fortnite_nintendo_switch_bundle_has_been_announced_for_europe )

Roblox; doesnt look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Minecraft a great game for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Good thread this!

Young fella is looking for one and a tablet but we have said no to switch and yes to the tablet.

But, half thinking the switch would be the better (if more expensive) option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just saw this thread now and am following as it suits the likes of me perfectly - somebody who knows next to nothing about them, but whose young lad (six, going on seven) wants one of these.

His birthday is early December so the idea is he gets one then (partly paid by birthday money, partly by Bank of Mam and Dad), and then gets some other games at Christmas too.

He's definitely getting one anyway, because mindful of the shortages during Covid, I actually bought one during July! It's well hidden in a high-up spot though, and there's no way he'll find it before then.

He's already picked out a few of the "mainstream" games that he'd like (e.g. Minecraft, Mario something or other), but would be interested in hearing suggestions for others, preferably low cost, to download too - just like poster above mentioned that Goose Game.

For low cost games, get the likes of Overcooked 2. It's a fun multiplayer game that will have you all shouting at each other as you try to work together to complete cooking tasks.
    Rocket League is a great car-football game and it's now free. So download it anyways and try it out. And the Rayman games are good and usually on sale fairly frequently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

LowOdour wrote: »
    Good thread this!

Young fella is looking for one and a tablet but we have said no to switch and yes to the tablet.

But, half thinking the switch would be the better (if more expensive) option.

It depends - if the tablet is deliberately bought so it can do things other than playing games (e.g. I use mine mainly for reading digital comics) then yes.

If it's mainly a games platform, definitely go for the Switch. Tablet and mobile games have a lot of "free-to-play" games designed around constantly nudging you to spend real money on an "optional" doohicky that will give you the edge you need to win, and ironically you can spend more money that way than buying the games outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Hopping on this.
    What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
    Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Hopping on this.
    What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
    Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭plibige

gar wrote: »
    Hopping on this.
    Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar

I think personally Mario Kart is timeless, and can be enjoyed by anyone at any age at any time. It can also involve multiple people and can be played casually or more seriously. So I'd be looking at that for sure.

Mario Party would be a "great game over Christmas", its basically a board game with mini novelty games inbetween. The joycon controller is used almost the same as a wii controller in it and you'd have great fun doing silly things while playing a board game. Not a lot of long term use out of it, its really just a party game. But great fun over Christmas.

Super Mario 3D all stars I assume you mean? Ye this will be the hot game this Christmas. Its four classic Mario games packaged together as one. Its probably the best way to get into what 3D mario is all about. And with 4 games in one you'd get serious longevity out of them.

I'd avoid super mario u deluxe if I was you. Its a 2D side scroller. Its a fine game but it would be a lot more infuriating to play and die a lot at that age. It might be something to get down the line, if they wanted it. But to be honest its not even the best 2D side scroller on the switch.

The other big mario game on the switch are Mario Odyssey. I'd recommend to get it at some stage down the line when they get used to the switch. Mario Odyssey is the newest 3D Mario game, and probably one of my favourites. There is an "easy" guided mode on it too to help young gamers.

Depending on your budget for Christmas i'd be looking at it this way. Mario Kart as your number one buy, Mario 3D All Stars as a number 2. I'd probably get Mario Party as a fun way for you to play the switch with them, but it wouldn't be a priority and would be a distant number 3 buy. I'd avoid Super Mario U Deluxe. And I'd put Mario Odyssey in my back pocket as a present for either ones next birthday or maybe Christmas next year.

Hope that helps

On the look out myself and dont want to leave till last minute.

Switch on its own - Smyths vs Amazon, €330 vs €293(amazon france)
    Switch with mario kart 8 Smyths vs Amazon, €383 vs €366(amazon germany)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

It's well hidden in a high-up spot though, and there's no way he'll find it before then.

Ah, this brings back fond memories of discovering the NES in the top of my parents’ wardrobe that Santa was bringing for Christmas :D

Advertisement