Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The same threads repeating themselves every three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The "cute hoor" mentality - and the many ways it manifests itself. Politics, law, social attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

The fact that Conor McGregor was born here.

It's embarrassing when you're abroad that he's the first person some people think of when you mention you're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We are a passive aggressive nation. Every month there's a new scandal and as a nation we complain a little and move on. The homeless, the trolleys, the 1m breathalysers, Maurice McCabe, the bankers and the latest one from ESB oil leaks. Dunphy hit the nail on the head when he said we are living in a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

The narrow mindedness of most Irish people. Particularly in rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

I’d give the people here a spine to stand up for themselves. If we did, a lot of the other ****e would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The narrow mindedness of most Irish people. Particularly in rural areas.

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Id outlaw needless cynicism and spiteful bitterness

Life is too short for the way so many carry on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

How come we are apparently a nation of begrudgers and yet every single person in this country complains about all the begrudgers.

Clearly the real problem is that we're not really a nation of begrudgers we're just a nation of hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Less rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Not enough foreigners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I treat people the way I expect to be treated.

So when I fund their lifestyle, housing and kids financial burden I would like a little in return for my kids even.

Unfortunately it doesn’t happen that way, they don’t care about me or my kids only their own selfish existence.

Cut the leeches off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If you could change one thing about Ireland, what would it be?

For me it's the courts system and the sentences handed down. I'm so sick of lenient and suspended sentences that I now just avoid reading about court cases in newspapers. People on 100+ previous convictions pleading with the judge about their tough upbringing and how they've now turned their life around. Absolutely infuriating how it's repeatedly allowed to happen!

I don't care what it takes - they can double my USC to pay for extra prison officers, they can build a massive prison next door to my house, I really don't care how it's done once the scumbags are taken off the streets and there's an actual deterrent for the type of people that feel the law doesn't apply to them.

So what is the one thing (serious or trivial) that you'd like to change about Ireland?

Media diversity, might as well be North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Underground rail system linking the airport to the Connoly and Huseton stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

riclad wrote: »
    Make the housing crisis the no 1 priority ,build 30 k housing units per year ,
    give the council money to repair the 1000,s of empty council flats.
    Even working people find it hard to find quality rental housing.
    The tds, politicians are on high wages ,they are not looking to rent
    a small flat or share a house with 4 other tenants .
    Some international companys are now avoiding irish citys as a base , because there is a shortage of quality rental units.

Theres no accountability for any one in the government or the civil service,
    if someone screws up they might maybe retire early with a nice pension .
    When theres a big screw up, the people responsible will not be named .
    But there will be committees and investigations which cost millions .
    A report will be published which will be vary vague and no person will be named .
    eg this happened, that happened ,
    some dept or governmnet body did something or was not quick to react to certain events .
    Unless someone commits financial fraud , or commits a serious crime ,
    no one in the civil service is held to be responsible for anything

So even though you believe that the state completely lacks accountability, you want to hand the councils a tonne of cash to build

Are you a taxi driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'd like to change the school system. Mainly the secondary one.
    Firstly I'd like to see more practical classes(I know people say your meant to learn it at home but we don't live in an ideal World).
    I'd also like to see more subjects/courses being offered especially in the second half of secondary. Some would be for the more academic students and others for the more vocational students.
    I'd also look into the amount of subjects you have to study.

Cooking and nutrition should be taught. And a basic exercise plan.

Save alot on obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Neames

I'd put a roof on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Outlaw private health care and private schools.

Everybody should contribute to the same system. If rich people want their children to go to better schools then they should invest in the whole system.

They do. It's call taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Stricter sentencing for violent repeat offenders.

• Advertisement

Finish separating Church and State by taking all schools and hospitals (and the associated properties) out of the ownership, control or influence in any capacity of religious orders.

It should be the norm to go from birth to burial without any interference from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

riclad wrote: »
    Make the housing crisis the no 1 priority ,build 30 k housing units per year ,
    give the council money to repair the 1000,s of empty council flats.
    Even working people find it hard to find quality rental housing.
    The tds, politicians are on high wages ,they are not looking to rent
    a small flat or share a house with 4 other tenants .
    Some international companys are now avoiding irish citys as a base , because there is a shortage of quality rental units.

Theres no accountability for any one in the government or the civil service,
    if someone screws up they might maybe retire early with a nice pension .
    When theres a big screw up, the people responsible will not be named .
    But there will be committees and investigations which cost millions .
    A report will be published which will be vary vague and no person will be named .
    eg this happened, that happened ,
    some dept or governmnet body did something or was not quick to react to certain events .
    Unless someone commits financial fraud , or commits a serious crime ,
    no one in the civil service is held to be responsible for anything

EU directive that basically means that all new social housing has to be A rated is something that is totally screwing everyone. A logical thing would be that the energy rating of new social housing needs to be in the top X percent of housing stock. A rated means that all the stock that the state owns should just be sold off as it will never be A rated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fire everyone in the HSE and immediately rehire the resources that actually add value and do not duplicate effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Complete rebuild of the health service (keeping any efficiently functioning elements)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Build enough housing so they are not treated as a commodity.

Everyone needs to live somewhere. Basic functional accommodation for everyone. Anyone who wants anything better are free to buy anything better they can afford. Mortgages would be much cheaper.

Raise the amount at which the higher rate of tax kicks in.
    Tax people on the dole. Then it can be seen as a payment they get, but it helps build a culture where everyone pays something from what money they get.

Every expense the government has should then be on the table.

I think the above approach would help foster better working conditions for most of society. It makes working pay. It makes getting a home easier. It takes away any incentive to 'play' the system. It allows working parents to have more flexible hours.

I think it would work for the betterment of society anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The ability to actually medium and long term plan infrastructure and urban development rather than the usual reactionary knee jerk style.

What needs to go: The 'sure it'll be grand' attitude, it's funny and twee in trivial circumstances but at the root of many ills, sweeping problems under the carpet in the naive hope they'll go away.

The sneaking regard for the cute hoor.

Lack of civic responsibility, Mé Féinism, stroke pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Moaning.

The constant moaning about how we are a third world country when we aren't. Far from it.

Like we are the only country in the world with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Omackeral wrote:
    I'd like people to support an Irish football team as well as a British one.

So you want us all to support Derry City then? ;-)

(They'd love me for that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The weather, think France has the best all round climate, I'd happily change ours for theirs.

Very broad statement, the edges of Normandy probably have Galweigan weather half the time. Cote d'Azur though, perfect, you could have your own vinyard beside your McMansion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

More trees.

Advertisement