Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

On the https://beta.met.ie/latest-reports/observations page, please put in dew point plus wet bulb temps and also stop rounding figures, please display 7.2c or whatever the current temperature is.

Would also like to see a map representation of current conditions similar to www.xcweather.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I find those purple lines (territorial sea limits?) around the map of Ireland, Wales & Isle Of Man give the radar display an over-complicated appearance, along with those lines showing the motorways of Ireland. I feel the display would be clearer and easier to observe without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I like the motorways of Ireland on the map. Maybe it helps people who don't live in the big cities to visualize when the big blue blob will hit them. I know they can zoom in, but I still like the format. They are using OpenStreetMaps which will hopefully be used more by organizations. Maps should be free for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

they all look to be working for me

On Edge they weren't all working but I checked on Chrome and they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann's response to my post on their Facebook:
    Hi Sryan! Many thanks for your compliments and comments both here and on Boards.ie. Thanks for spotting the Dublin link, it has been removed. The radars show all types of precipitation but it doesn't distinguish between rain/snow/hail. An internal Harmonie IBL forecast model chart shows rain/snow/graupel and is sometimes posted on Twitter during an event. We will take on board your radar comments and the production of more NWP, marine analysis, 3 hour forecast maps and temperature detail. From all the comments from here, Boards.ie and the feedback forms we have plenty of suggestions to collate and distribute internally for consideration. And the site is still in development. Products in the Climate Available Data section will have an overhaul in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

On the weather extremes page, it says that the highest maximum gust for August (since 1942) is 144km/hr at Claremorris on the 11th in 1999.

http://beta.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

The monthly weather bulletin for August 1999 says for the 11th that there was light southeasterly winds. Not to mention, the largest gust that month was 52mph recorded at Malin Head.

https://cli.fusio.net/cli/bulletin/monsums/clim-1999-Aug.pdf

The reanalysis chart by NCEP also shows southeasterly winds.

NOAA_1_1999081112_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Much, much better obviously.

A few of things:

1. The weekly forecast given on the homepage needs a better title - is it national or regional? No idea.

2. It wasn't obvious to me that the weekly forecast scrolled horizontally. I think the problem is that the grid you've used for the scrolling area aligns too well with with the containing page. Use a marginally different column width and some of the content will spill off the edge, prompting the user to investigate.
    Same pattern is used for mobile all the time.
    95f77d150974b8ecffec606014ea84c7.gif

3. The title "Available Data" prompted me to wonder whether there might be a page with "Unavailable Data" somewhere :)

Overall it's a big step forward. I think you could be a little bolder with the header, but it's nice, clean and navigable.
    I just hope you keep developing it rather than let it grow old ungracefully again.

• I think your temperature colour stretch should be selectable. It covers -20 to +38c which covers all eventualities but most of the time the temperature is between 0 and 25c and somedays only varies by a couple of degrees in coastal areas.

The temperature map is very interesting - any information on how its calculated - does it take altitude/exposure/wind direction into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Testing the new radar here at the moment with a heavy shower. The Radar is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    Testing the new radar here at the moment with a heavy shower. The Radar is very good

Whilst the coverage and detailing seems to be quite good, the ability to toggle forward and back seems to gone, at least in a user friendly manner via forwards/backwards buttons.

Also, while playing the loop,I would love to be able to select the speed of the animation.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Whilst the coverage and detailing seems to be quite good, the ability to toggle forward and back seems to gone, at least in a user friendly manner via forwards/backwards buttons.

Also, while playing the loop,I would love to be able to select the speed of the animation.

Yeah those additional features would be really useful, also if the map would refresh itself instead of you having to do it therefore it zooms back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

ME,

How about displaying wind speeds in km/h as well as knots in order to tie in with the various wind warnings!

Both current radar displays seem to show different intensities of rainfall. These two screenshots were taken at the same time. New display could do with more distinct shading for the different precip intensity

29572920_10213153226917544_653934674248551907_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=99b7394b5d7ca46fa18bc51db1c8ec22&oe=5B31A4581522525759

WEB_radar4_201803312045.png

Yeah the new radar uses the Belfast radar too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use the site a lot as I work outdoors. I have the existing radar on a bookmark & refer to it several times a day.

I don't like the look of the new radar. It's cluttered & awkward on mobile. I will need to try it on the computer & see if I can bookmark a simple radar page.

Edit. Is there any way to get a full page radar image on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Love the new site, a big improvement.

Couple of improvements I'd like to see:
    - It would be nice to be able to link directly to the different map types, e.g. Rainfall Forecast, Temperature etc. Bonus points for being able to link to a specific time on the map!
    - On mobile the map type dropdown is off screen, below the map. Above the map would make more sense IMO

Discodog wrote: »
    I use the site a lot as I work outdoors. I have the existing radar on a bookmark & refer to it several times a day.

I don't like the look of the new radar. It's cluttered & awkward on mobile. I will need to try it on the computer & see if I can bookmark a simple radar page.

Edit. Is there any way to get a full page radar image on the phone?

Id say when they move over the new site to the Mobile App id say that will fix the awkward element to the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

I have a radar App on my phone called Ireland Weather which I use and find excellent.

On Android playstore and developed by Leon Calcutt.

I don't like weather apps but this one and netweathers snow radar one are top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Are there any pressure charts and upper level charts?

If so, where?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overall I think the new site is progressive and moving in the right direction. Clear layout , easy to use and a few nice additions. Would like to see the rainfall radar look a bit sharper, more defined colouring perhaps but the 5 min intervals is welcome, the background map is fine to me, I think it is good seeing a few landmarks be they roads or towns etc.

Nice having the National and Regional forecasts side by side on the PC. The forecast graphics from the NWP models are very good also. The local forecast should be a useful function for many also.

Like the Buoy map and data layout. Also very much like the current observations and yesterdays weather, great having the hourly data.

Now only need to add a webcam to Valentia :)

Well done Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Met Eireann has promised new apps for Andriod and IOS to come out with the new website. I don't like their existing apps or mobile website.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Met Eireann has promised new apps for Andriod and IOS to come out with the new website. I don't like their existing apps or mobile website.

Please tell me they're not investing in seperate apps for seperate platforms. The UK Govt has the right idea;

Don't build apps; https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/technology/working-with-mobile-technology

And more recently;

https://gdstechnology.blog.gov.uk/2018/03/26/progressive-web-apps-bring-us-new-mobile-opportunities/

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://beta.met.ie/api/maps/temperature
    is returning 500 responses to me, without anything obvious being shown on screen. Some better error feedback would be nice there.

• Working OK for me.

Beta site is finished now and new website will be launched on Wednesday. I wonder what added features they will have put in through feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Will they still keep the old site running? I greatly prefer the old radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Me too.

An odd change here and there but no need for expansive overhaul.

Same here. I feel the older radar is far easier to look at and interpret.

I really don't like the new radar presentation at all...too much unnecessary distracting features unrelated to precipitation and the colours used seem to lack contrast and clarity. It looks like ME are using the same radar display as is used by www.netweather.tv

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

There are better ones out there imo. Met Eireann's own hires radar display is far clearer and easier to look at. Not sure why they couldn't have used that one.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/985836760138698753

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Discodog wrote: »
    Will they still keep the old site running? I greatly prefer the old radar.

I'd love if there was some link to the old radar... more because I have a script that pulls their images and uses it in a weather display in the gaff. I had a small play around with the beta to pull an image but it's a bit more work than before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'd love if there was some link to the old radar... more because I have a script that pulls their images and uses it in a weather display in the gaff. I had a small play around with the beta to pull an image but it's a bit more work than before!

Yeah, I built an Android widget for myself that does the same. Hadn't investigated how the new one works yet.

Advertisement