Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

recyclops wrote: »
    399 has to be far to good of a price. I'd nearly expect both to jump by 100.

Digital all the way for me. Its much better value unless they get rid of gameshare so il wait until that's confirmed.

2nd hand markets depend on a reliance of stock even by having two consoles these will be impacted and cex/gamestop will do as much as possible to keep those profit margins close to now as possible

I think its gonna be 450/500 for the pair of them. I'm getting the disc version myself as I tend to buy physical copies at launch and then sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I don't see the Ps5 being more than €500 Disc and €400 digital, they cannot price themselves out of the market like they did with the Ps3 again. And with Coivd, anything more would seriously effect their sales as no doubt the Xbox will be €500 max

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I don't see the Ps5 being more than €500 Disc and €400 digital, they cannot price themselves out of the market like they did with the Ps3 again. And with Coivd, anything more would seriously effect their sales as no doubt the Xbox will be €500 max

I don't think it will be more expensive than €500, but it very easily could be. I think Digital Foundry estimated the BOM at around €490 for the disc version and €470 for the digital version. The Xbox is gonna cost roughly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I think it will be €350 and 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I think it will be €350 and 450.

I’d be surprised if it’s €400 to be honest considering the tech that’s inside of it. I’m thinking €450-500.

I think the loss they’d take to get it to €350 would be crazy. That’s considering the much weaker at the time PS4 was €400. The only special thing about that was the 8GB of expensive GDDR5 RAM.

The PS5 has the newest APU with an SSD that’s faster than what’s available on the current market. That all adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

will my full ps digital library be available on ps5 from day one. reason i am asking is i am wondering if i should still pick up digi games on sale even though i have sold my ps4 if i see them at a reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've been thinking 450 and 500 for the PS5 variants. I think the Series X will be 500. I could see Lockheart at 400, given its not just diskless, apparently the general specs will be lower as well. So it is probably a box for playing the latest games (with SSD and all that jazz, but at 1080, not 4k)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lockhart I heard is aiming for 1440p... but then that's all rumours.

will my full ps digital library be available on ps5 from day one. reason i am asking is i am wondering if i should still pick up digi games on sale even though i have sold my ps4 if i see them at a reasonable price

Not every game is guaranteed to work, but yea you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

New PS5 game got shown, looks like stealthy For Honor.

Hood: Outlaws & Legends.

Also more Godfall got shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And Bugsnax!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What was the point of that State of Play FFS lol :D

Just ****ing give people the information they actually want and stop dicking around.

Imagine the meltdown online after people watching that knowing they could have easily had a ps5 event tonight instead!

Crash Bandicoot looks good but everything else most won't care.

Between them and ms this is a bit of a **** show now, 3 months out from mid November and nothing from either. Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Between them and ms this is a bit of a **** show now, 3 months out from mid November and nothing from either. Infuriating.

Like we all knew we were getting nothing tonight anyway so its grand but still FFS just get on with it.

If there seriously holding off just to undercut MS by a few euro then what a load of **** :pac:

People are gonna buy the bloody console one way or another just let us pre-order it at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think Sony are holding off because there afraid of MS just under cutting them.

MS being a much larger company with massive reserves means that if they are willing they can undercut sony at any price point. And to me MS are determined to pull back market share.

I think MS wil absolutely undercut Sony, but Sony can afford it and own it imo.

MS are presenting the 'value' option, with GamePass being being bedrock of their proposition.

Sony are the ones really offering (and making a point of it) a next gen experience and, apparently, exclusives to go with it.

I've played PS4 all this generation, but would have routed for MS, and I still do. But if the PS5 was 50 more expensive than the comparible MS console, I'd say it was easily still worth that extra cost - based on the messaging and games I have seen so far.

I'll end up buying both consoles at or near launch, so its not a competition for me. But I reckon I will never purchase a game outright for the Xbox. I will play Game Pass games on it, and that is it I reckon. Even at that I will buy and play Destiny 2: Beyond Light on PS5 (despite being on GamePass).

Even from a position of wanting MS to give Sony a bloody nose.... Sony is the better offering from a next-gen perspective imo and will be more worth the price, imo. Now if it turns out PS5 is 550 and MS announce at 400 or some other crazy disparity between the prices I may look at it different. but a 550 PS5 vs a 500 XBSX... PS5 will offer the better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's lots of rumbling in "Insider" Twitter circles about how Sony will respond if MS go free with Xbox Live.

The thought is that while Ps Plus won't be free, it will come with PS Now, which should address those backwards compatibility issues somewhat

Fair points.

The exclusives Sony offer just dont have an equal on the MS side yet. I do believe that will change at some time during the next gen givin the studios that have been bought up by MS. That change is not here yet though.

If they had of bought those studios earlier in the Xbox One cycle they may have be launching the series X with a better suite of first party exclusives but they didn't so here we are.

The Xbox should be more expensive givin the hardware in each console,the fact MS may undercut the PS5 or even have price parity givin the hardware differences gives it a strong argument for those who are not too bothered with exclusives imo.

Being cheaper and more powerful did the PS4 no harm at all so if series X is same price/cheaper but more powerful thats a pretty good marketing tool to beat sony over the head with along with gamepass.

I think MS wil absolutely undercut Sony, but Sony can afford it and own it imo.

MS are presenting the 'value' option, with GamePass being being bedrock of their proposition.

Sony are the ones really offering (and making a point of it) a next gen experience and, apparently, exclusives to go with it.

Even from a position of wanting MS to give Sony a bloody nose.... Sony is the better offering from a next-gen perspective imo and will be more worth the price, imo. Now if it turns out PS5 is 550 and MS announce at 400 or some other crazy disparity between the prices I may look at it different. but a 550 PS5 vs a 500 XBSX... PS5 will offer the better games.

This is exactly how i am sitting currently except the majority of my gaming will be on xbox down to gamepass giving me stuff to tide me over for very little cost, I rather the controller and ability to flick onto tablet etc if away is quite handy when travelling for work.

What the ps5 offers is probably 1/2 games a year i cant play on xbox, thats its really. its exactly how the ps4 went for me and i cant see it doing it any differently this year.

a large part of this is myself and my friends grew up playing xbox- 360- one.

Where i think MS can claw it back is the lockheart ( if it exists) if that launches around 250 bundled with gamepass its a no brainer for parents to buy it for their kids compared to a new ps5 full whack.

The exclusives sony sell are rarely the must have games kids are playing Fortnite/warzone, should sony get ones of these exclusively that will change my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really looking like Lockhart is a thing with the XBox series X|S controller leaked. Undercutting sony significantly with a 1080p/1440p console could really work in Microsoft's favour especially with how good value gamepass is. I don't see them trouncing Sony but can see them claw back significant market share back to around 360 levels again.

I mean if it's cheap enough why not get a PS5 and a Lockhart so as to have a cheap gamepass machine? I got my One S for backwards compatibility when it was cheap.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Fair points.

The exclusives Sony offer just dont have an equal on the MS side yet. I do believe that will change at some time during the next gen givin the studios that have been bought up by MS. That change is not here yet though.

If they had of bought those studios earlier in the Xbox One cycle they may have be launching the series X with a better suite of first party exclusives but they didn't so here we are.

The Xbox should be more expensive givin the hardware in each console,the fact MS may undercut the PS5 or even have price parity givin the hardware differences gives it a strong argument for those who are not too bothered with exclusives imo.

Being cheaper and more powerful did the PS4 no harm at all so if series X is same price/cheaper but more powerful thats a pretty good marketing tool to beat sony over the head with along with gamepass.

I just don't see what MS are doing with the extra power. I just can't look past Halo Infinite. It looks like an Xbox One game, cause it is. It will run on the Xbox One. The fact MS are doing first parties on Xbox One as well as series X means the game design and development will be held back by the current gen - in a way that Ratchet and Clank, for example, is not.

PS5 games will be more capable of taking advantage of the power available than One X games will, because they don't need to think about instant portal jumping in R&C (for example again) working on PS4.

MS may talk about PC games having the best versions and not holding back dev - but that is talking graphics and frame rates, not features and inherent game design. MS won't be able to compete with PS5 on a tech level until they are coding just for Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I mean if it's cheap enough why not get a PS5 and a Lockhart so as to have a cheap gamepass machine? I got my One S for backwards compatibility when it was cheap.

This is exactly my plan! Just want to get confirmation on the Lockhart model sooner rather than later

How far out is Ratchet and Clank though? Will we not be getting Series X exclusives by then? And I really don't see what R&C does as a game changer. Both consoles will be more responsive because of the SSD's but I can't see the SSD being taken advantage of fully until well into the gen with the exclusives are coming. The SSD could be another emotion engine or power of the cloud thing. I honestly can't see it giving us new types of games but rather improving (quite significantly though) on what we have already. I mean we had... kind of the same thing R&C did with Soul Reaver back on the PS1.

I just don't see what MS are doing with the extra power. I just can't look past Halo Infinite. It looks like an Xbox One game, cause it is. It will run on the Xbox One. The fact MS are doing first parties on Xbox One as well as series X means the game design and development will be held back by the current gen - in a way that Ratchet and Clank, for example, is not.

PS5 games will be more capable of taking advantage of the power available than One X games will, because they don't need to think about instant portal jumping in R&C (for example again) working on PS4.

MS may talk about PC games having the best versions and not holding back dev - but that is talking graphics and frame rates, not features and inherent game design. MS won't be able to compete with PS5 on a tech level until they are coding just for Series X.

Are Sony gonna be able to pump out enough first party titles that encompass enough genres early enough for that approach to matter though?

Main driver for most consoles will be 3rd party,are 3rd party titles going to develop features just for PS5? I couldnt tell ye tbh so it may be less of an issue. After you forget about propriatery features in 3rd party games it does boil down to which one can have a more consistent framerate,higher resolutions etc and that ultimately comes from hardware.

Consoles are pretty much PC's these days so its not surprising MS think that way imo.

Halo is a strange one alright,its strength isn't in its looks,the plan is that game will run at 120hz which to me makes total sense for a shooter,my preference would be higher frame rates over better visuals but thats my bias. I must find out if thats a series X only feature,that would make it more next gen than the one x release.

It is interesting how its all panning out. I feel there's many things that could push people one way or the other before launch. I see good arguments for both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd definitely be aiming for a PS5 and a Series S (price depending) for Gamepass unless Sony greatly advance PS Now to be a Gamepass competitor.

As for whether Sony can pump out first party titles, I say chances are they're going after exclusive additional content in games from third-party devs until they can, to fill in the gaps between those big first-party titles.

Thats what i feel there going to do aswell,which is total horse **** imo.

Paying devs to cut content on other platforms is a crappy practise.

No issue with that when its first party,but the like of EA and Activision getting paid fortunes to screw over half their player base is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EoinHef wrote: »
    Thats what i feel there going to do aswell,which is total horse **** imo.

Paying devs to cut content on other platforms is a crappy practise.

No issue with that when its first party,but the like of EA and Activision getting paid fortunes to screw over half their player base is rotten.

It depends on whether content is genuinely cut or added. I think the devs of Avengers said the deal and decision to add Spider-Man was quite late so they had to scramble to add him, so in fairness it does seem like additional PS-exclusive content rather than content cut from other versions. Going to be next to impossible to determine for many other cases though and the accusation will always be Sony are buying exclusivity for content that was supposed to be in all versions.

It's still not the best practice regardless, as it means Xbox/PC users are paying the same for less content just because they don't have a PS5 to buy that version of the game. Again, I'd much prefer if Sony put that money and effort into PS Now, as Gamepass is by far Xbox's biggest selling point imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BC probably helped the Genesis keep up with the SNES and the PS2 probably benefited from it too, but I don't think anything since then has.

Now being able to take your library and more importantly your platform locked account forward will probably be a much bigger difference.

Indeed,because of that it would be a huge decision to go with an Xbox over PS next gen for me.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    It depends on whether content is genuinely cut or added. I think the devs of Avengers said the deal and decision to add Spider-Man was quite late so they had to scramble to add him, so in fairness it does seem like additional PS-exclusive content rather than content cut from other versions. Going to be next to impossible to determine for many other cases though and the accusation will always be Sony are buying exclusivity for content that was supposed to be in all versions.

It's still not the best practice regardless, as it means Xbox/PC users are paying the same for less content just because they don't have a PS5 to buy that version of the game. Again, I'd much prefer if Sony put that money and effort into PS Now, as Gamepass is by far Xbox's biggest selling point imo.

I don't know, devs have said this before then the truth has come out that they did cut content. Happened with one of the Tomb Raiders iirc.

The Spiderman thing though must have been known well in advance. In videogame development land stuff really isn't added in quickly without the QA to make sure it works and is balanced.
    Varik wrote: »
    BC probably helped the Genesis keep up with the SNES and the PS2 probably benefited from it too, but I don't think anything since then has.

Now being able to take your library and more importantly your platform locked account forward will probably be a much bigger difference.

Well the Megadrive (no americanised Genesis here thank you very much) was BC with an additional adapter but since so few people had a master system, particularly in the US I doubt it was a factor.

It seems to be a nicety to have at the start of a generation but then gets forgotten.

However that kind of needs to change with online accounts tied to consoles and not being able to migrate content to the next platform. Compare that to PC where ever game I've bought is available across any PC I upgrade to.

I'd hate to see a repeat of Wiiware where all those games are lost now if it wasn't for internet archivists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement