Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low download speed?

• 24-06-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    So I've eir fibre BB. Have downloaded games to the xbone fine until yesterday. Started downloading a game and the speed is like 40-50 kbps!
    Run speed test and I'm getting 130mbps.
    It's not the internet as streaming on multiple devices, speed tests all running fine.
    Have I clicked some setting on the Xbox setting or something?
    Have turned it and router off etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I know you said you’ve restarted your router, but have you tried unplugging your Xbox for a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I know you said you’ve restarted your router, but have you tried unplugging your Xbox for a few minutes?

Just turned it off at the sockets, not actually unplugged.

Just turned it off at the sockets, not actually unplugged.
    I'll give that a shot and see this evening

I had issues before and the number one pointer that worked was to quit out of everything I had open. I don't mean just being on the dashboard, you have to press your xbox button then scroll down to any apps, games or settings that you've had open at any stage that day. When you highlight those games and press "start" you'll get an option menu and the bottom one is "quit".

That boosted my download speed like you wouldn't believe. I've had friends giving out about their speed while they've had COD open in the background and while playing a game of FIFA. You need to be doing nothing other than downloading to get the full effect.

Ok so went to update game today, nothing running in background that I can see and am getting the following speeds 500kbps.

Run a speed test and get the bottom pic attached.

All out of ideas now. Tried everything. Must be a setting i have clicked or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Ok so went to update game today, nothing running in background that I can see and am getting the following speeds 500kbps.

Run a speed test and get the bottom pic attached.

All out of ideas now. Tried everything. Must be a setting i have clicked or something.

Damaged cable maybe

Just seen its wireless.
    Can you try a cable connection

naughto wrote: »
    Damaged cable maybe

Just seen its wireless.
    Can you try a cable connection

Cable connection fine, but not ideal as I have to run it from the attic downstairs :D

It's very unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I was having a similar issue for a week or two, tried everything but couldn't figure out what was wrong it. Still don't know what caused it. Since I've changed my router it's been perfect

How is nat being reported on the xbox settings? Should say open.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enfilade wrote: »
    How is nat being reported on the xbox settings? Should say open.

Zero impact on speed.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Zero impact on speed.

Yeah shouldn't impact speed, but I've had some screwy things happen over the years with it and xbox.

The other thing I forgot to ask was where was the speed test run from? The xbox itself a phone or laptop etc? and do youtube or netflix chug or play fine?

Enfilade wrote: »
    Yeah shouldn't impact speed, but I've had some screwy things happen over the years with it and xbox.

The other thing I forgot to ask was where was the speed test run from? The xbox itself a phone or laptop etc? and do youtube or netflix chug or play fine?

Speed test done from Xbox.
    YouTube, netflix, nowtv all work fine. Xbox is 3 years old roughly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Long shot, as it's unlikely, but have you got Dynamic QoS activated on your router? That could be classifying your Xbox download as low priority, and killing the speed?

I don't have that router, so I'm not entirely sure if that'd cause it.

Cable connection fine, but not ideal as I have to run it from the attic downstairs :D

It's very unusual

Can you not run a cable from the router itself, or are you saying that the router is in the attic? If so, and your xbox is ground floor, it's no wonder the speeds are that slow on wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

alternate mac address, restart. Usually works for me.

$hifty wrote: »
    Can you not run a cable from the router itself, or are you saying that the router is in the attic? If so, and your xbox is ground floor, it's no wonder the speeds are that slow on wireless.

It is right above the Xbox in a bungalow. Literally 5 foot above it. The installer said this was the best place to reach all our devices. Was working perfect until this started. Cousin brings over his PS to update it or download games and no problem with speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I always use a cable for downloads. Get 300 to 400mb/s usually. If you play mw it's an essential as well as a massive hard drive...

Advertisement