Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D For Dummies: New Player Dungeon Sign Up Thread

• 11-04-2018 2:51pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ever wanted to give Dungeons & Dragons a bash but didn't have the time to commit to an extended campaign?

Nervous about mixing it with experienced players?

Or, perhaps you just want to give it a whirl for the first time.

Then this is the game to sign up for.

latest?cb=20170211221920

If you're interested, please sign up in this thread. We can get to character creation and organising a night once we gauge the interest levels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ah sure, why not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'll throw my hat in the ring. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yes please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nice rate of sign up so far :)

Ok, here's a link to the ruleset we will be using:

http://goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/

The file you'll be wanting to download is the Labyrinth Lord one, to quote Fourier on this: They are the D&D 1E rules simplified and better organised.

I'll also be stealing a few of his posts for explaining how to create a character when we get that far. Let me know if any issues with downloading and I can PM you a dropbox link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Disguises voice, crosses fingers
    I'm a novice, honest, really and truly.
    And I promise not to make the DM's life a misery.
    Nor will I intentionally fup with his storyline.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Disguises voice, crosses fingers
    I'm a novice, honest, really and truly.
    And I promise not to make the DM's life a misery.
    Nor will I intentionally fup with his storyline.

Jump on in :)

Necrominus wrote: »
    Nice rate of sign up so far :)

Ok, here's a link to the ruleset we will be using:

http://goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/

The file you'll be wanting to download is the Labyrinth Lord one, to quote Fourier on this: They are the D&D 1E rules simplified and better organised.

I'll also be stealing a few of his posts for explaining how to create a character when we get that far. Let me know if any issues with downloading and I can PM you a dropbox link.

140 pages :eek:

Kolido wrote: »
    140 pages :eek:

You don't need to concern yourself with the entire rulebook,

pages 4 - 14 are what you'll need to have a look at. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

To be clear anyone can play

Its an intro level game for ye tonsee it youblike it enough to commit to a campaign
    Play as much or as little as you like

Ok,

Getting started. As this is a beginner game all players are going to start on an 'equal' footing more or less. So, when you are happy with what class you wish to play, you can apply the below method into generating your stats:
    Fourier wrote: »
    Just to get started on the characters, you have 63 points to put into your six attributes. No attribute can be lower than 3 points or higher than 18 points. An example:

Strength: 9
    Dexterity: 10
    Constitution: 14
    Intelligence: 13
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 9

In the pdf of the rules p.6-7 will tell you exactly what each rank in the attributes will give you:

Also each of your classes has a prime requisite. For example a magic user has prime requisite Intelligence (p.12). What this means is that if their intelligence is high, he gets bonus XP. See p.7 for the full details, but Intelligence 13 would give him +5% XP every time he earns some. However Intelligence 4 would give him -10%.

Your prime requisite is also the stat your class tends to use the most. So it's a good idea for it to be high.

I'll set up a thread in the D&D Forum for character sheets for this game shortly. Any questions and we'll be happy to answer.

You'll also probably notice I'll be quoting from Fourier a lot, that's because his advice is excellent :P

• Advertisement

Once you have assigned your stats,

You can input them, your class, your level (starting level is 1) into the below character generator to come up with a name and personality for your character if you like.

Note: equipment on the generated sheet won't be included at the start of the game.

Character Generator

So, I decide I want to be a dwarf for example.

At the top of the Character Generator there are 6 drop down boxes.

For your stats, you want to select the 'User Specified' option.

Class will be Dwarf.

Alignment is your own decision, or you can randomise it.

Level will be 1.

Sex and Name are your own decisions also, or you can have the generator decide for you.

Hope that makes sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Guffy

When will this start and what's the time requirements?

Guffy wrote: »
    When will this start and what's the time requirements?

We're leaving sign ups open till the end of the week anyways.

Time requirements are open to discussion.

It can be as little or as much as you want, basically, but the aim is to have a night/day per week as a bare minimum.

Necrominus wrote: »
    We're leaving sign ups open till the end of the week anyways.

Time requirements are open to discussion.

It can be as little or as much as you want, basically, but the aim is to have a night/day per week as a bare minimum.

Ok I'll put my name in. Will figure out the character tomorrow or sat. But I'll also be carrying a cyanide pill for fear i hold people up cause i haven't a notion atm :D

Ok I'll put my name in. Will figure out the character tomorrow or sat. But I'll also be carrying a cyanide pill for fear i hold people up cause i haven't a notion atm :D

Don't worry about that, we have plans in place to determine pacing so players don't miss out on large chunks of action :)

Cast so far:

1. duffman13
    2. Kolido
    3. Pter
    4. OldGoat
    5. Guffy

Still plenty of place for more...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ahhh don't worry, someone will Backstab you long before you have the chance to take the pill. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I've only ever heard of the game, no idea how to play. Assigning points to things like dexterity and strength etc though makes me think of Top Trump cards, or maybe Final Fantasy, of which I used to play VII and VIII an awful lot of, so I'm tentatively interested. Just unsure how time consuming it'd be etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

...also can it be played by mobile?? Or do I need a computer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've been playing on mobile mostly, it's very doable.
    You basically just need to have Boards and Rolz (for dice rolz) open in your browser.
    You can - if you like - use something like Google Sheets to put a basic character sheet together so when you can't remember what your stats are you can look it up. Also, at the start, it can be helpful to have the manual handy as a pdf. But the thing is, if you're stuck you just ask and someone with more screen space can look it up for you.

In terms of top trumps, it's not quite like that but kind of is. You decide - based on your character idea and class - what you're good at by assigning the points. The trade of is that you're bad at other things because you have no points left. Then you try not to get into situations where you have to do stuff you're bad at :D

• Advertisement

Don't stress too much about time commitments for anyone on the fence about signing up.

Game is primarily a reactive one: We will give you a scenario and you react to it using your skills, or explore further.

The pacing is something we're working on currently to allow everyone to get a proper feel for the game as it is a beginners game.

So you can post as much or as little as you like. No one will be left behind, that's for sure.

Banjo wrote: »
    Then you try not to get into situations where you have to do stuff you're bad at :D

Leeroy Jenkins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's important to get out of the rigidity of video game thinking.

In a video game, if you're under water, breathing through magic gills and presented with a Gold path or a Silver path, you pick a gold path or a silver path.

In D&D, you can still pick the gold path or silver path. Or you can start playing drums on yourself until the crayfish in the water start clicking along in time and have a full on disney sing song. Because you can do whatever the **** you want, as long as you're willing to face the consequences.

Characters die. Limbs get lost. Teams get split up. Mission-critical NPCs and items get destroyed. Vampire Pencils get shoved into necks. It's anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I'll give it a shot :)

Great stuff, conor.

I'll hold the sign ups open till Monday evening I think.

If those interested can work on a character and ask any questions they need between now and then, once sign ups are closed we can arrange a date to start.

No question is silly, trust me on that.

When you're happy with your character sheet, you can post it in the following thread:

Beginner Game Char Sheets

Just a quick correction.

Sign ups won't actually ever CLOSE per se, meaning people can join whenever they like, and the game will be there for them to jump in.

So build your characters over the next few days folks, and when the majority are ready to roll (pun intended) we can organise a start night where people are available.

Will have a look at the character creation tomorrow. Does a game like this ever actually end or is it like the nerds version of monopoly? 0)

Kolido wrote: »
    Will have a look at the character creation tomorrow. Does a game like this ever actually end or is it like the nerds version of monopoly? 0)

Hah! Well there is an end for characters in the game yes.

A D&D campaign could consist of hundreds of dungeons across an entire continent.

The beginner one will focus on a single dungeon, to allow people to get to grips with the game.

All will become clearer once we start, but suffice to say yes, the adventure will end for a character if they clear the dungeon, and players can then decide on whether they like it enough to jump into a campaign or not.

I'll be stealing a few posts from Fourier later to expand on a few rules.

Again, this is touched on in the rulebook linked earlier, but here's our own DM describing how Modifiers, Combat, Hitting and Damage works.

I have set up a dice room (link to follow at a later date) where all of the dice rolls are simulated for the game.

Modifier table:
    Below I'll be talking about how your Stats (e.g. Strength, Constitution) affect roles. This is based on the following table:

3 => -3
    4-5 => -2
    6-8 => -1
    9-12 => 0
    13-15 => +1
    16-17 => +2
    18 => +3

So a value of 17 in a stat adds 2 to rolls related to that stat.

I'll call this the modifier table.

Health:
    At the start of the game your total health depends on your class, e.g. Fighter starts with 4, Thief with 2. Every level we add this number again, e.g. Level 2 Fighter has health 8, Level 2 Thief has health 4.
    Your Constitution affects this based on the modifier table

So a Level 1 Fighter of Constitution 16 has health 6 (basic 4 + 2 from Constitution).

This happens every level, so a level 2 Fighter with Constitution 16 has health 12, because he gets a 4 again from the level up and he gets the Constitution bonus again.

For monsters, they have a stat called Hit Die, which is the number of d8 (eight sided dice) I roll to determine their health, e.g. a Medusa (p.87) has 4 hit die. So she could have any health from 4 to 32 when you encounter her, depending on what I roll.

Combat:
    Combat is fairly simple in 1st Edition. p.52-54 of the pdf above if you want more detail. "Monster" just means anybody/thing you fight.

Order is:
    1. Initiative, i.e. see who goes in what order. This is not as detailed as later editions, it's which side goes first, not which individual. So either the players or the monsters.
    2. Movement
    3. Ranged attacks, e.g. bows or thrown spears
    4. Cast Spells
    5. Hand to Hand
    6. (2-5) repeated for the other side

To cast spells you just say you're casting them, fairly simple.

Ranged and Hand-to-Hand attacks work the same. You've to make a roll to hit and then roll to see the amount of damage. I'll talk about these rolls now.

Hitting:
    Everybody in the game as a stat called AC, armour class, which represents a combination of how hard you are to hit due to your agility and your armour, i.e. it's what it takes to actually hurt you. The higher AC the easier you are to hit (opposite of later editions). Basic AC is 9. Armour and high dexterity reduce it. For example Banded mail (p.15) gives you an AC of 4. A dexterity of 16 will reduce it by 2, so Banded Mail and Dex 16 would give you AC 2.

To hit somebody you have to roll equal to or higher than a number that depends on AC and level (for player characters) or AC and what are called Hit Dice for monsters.

Now here is the odd part of the rules. The number you need to reach is given in the tables on p.60 in the rules above. There's one table for monsters to hit you (top) and one for you to hit monsters (bottom). As you can see, the one to hit you is based on your AC and level, for monsters it's their AC and hit die number.
    So if you look at that table, to hit a Thief of level 7 and AC 2 you need to role 15 or better.
    At low levels the number is 20 minus your AC.

I wouldn't bother too much with the tables, as this will basically be managed by me. Especially for you to hit a monster (second table on p.60), I'll just quote the number. You can always check the table to see if I'm right.

When you roll the dice, you add a stat modifier. It depends on your Strength for melee and Dexterity for ranged attacks, e.g. bows.

A basic example. Greg the thief with Dexterity 17 goes to hit a Vampire with a bow. A Vampire has AC 2 and 7 Hit Dice. So from the table on p.60 he needs to make an 11. Greg rolls a 10. Not enough, but because his Dex is 17, he gets +2 to the roll, from the modifier table, hence his roll is 12, which is enough. The Vampire takes an arrow.

Damage:
    If you do hit, then you roll the damage, which depends on your weapon and your strength (mostly the weapon). So for example a battle axe (p.15) does 1d8 of damage (one eight sided dice). High and low strengths add or subtract from this.

Strength modifies damage based on the modifier table.

Let's say you're strength 16 and hit with the battle axe. You roll the 1d8, get 5. You then add 2 due to your strength modifier, so the damage is 7. This is directly subtracted off the target's health.

Dying:
    In basic First Edition, if you hit 0 hit points you die. Later add-on books gave the rule that in certain circumstances I'll call for a death check and if you pass you can "hold on" at 0 hit points for a few rounds. I'll be using this in certain situations, otherwise everybody will die too easily from past experience.

And a little bit more on what the stats mean, and a basic description of each class in the game. (All credit to Fourier for both posts)
    I've written this to be useful to people who've never played and if you are familiar with 5th Edition. If you've watched Stranger Things on netflix, this is the game the young lads play. Sorry if I likely repeat stuff you know. Basics first, combat next post and then some minor stuff in the third. If this is a bit boring, there's the rules above or just go with it while we're playing.

First of all, the most basic rule. To see if you succeed at something, you roll a twenty-sided dice (d20 for short). Most of the rules are just about what number you have to roll.
    There are three situations where you have to roll:
    1. To see if you hit with an attack
    2. To resist something like poison, dying from a lethal blow, a magic spell
    3. This ones a bit vague, but to "see if you can do something". Or really whenever you do something not in 1. or 2., like jump across a gap.

Secondly, First Edition D&D has a very vaguely sketched out world. There are towns, wilderness and dungeons. Towns are where you start, hire people and get jobs. Dungeons are where you are sent and contain treasure and monsters. The wilderness are simply the forests, deserts etc between the towns and dungeons.
    "Dungeon" is a very generic word, it refers to any building/structure with multiple floors with treasure in it (e.g. tower of an ancient wizard, underground city, ancient mine)

The main goal of the game is to get as much treasure out of the dungeons as possible. Treasure is what lets your character improve, buy new gear and hire help. If you've played later editions of D&D, treasure is where you get most of your XP (3/4s of it), not defeating monsters. Hence the game is more about surviving lethal dungeons than defeating monsters. Even defeating a monster can be different, eg. you can get most or all of the XP for defeating a dragon just by convincing him not to kill you. Although you will still get into fights.

Characters tend to be from a mercenary group and can die quite often, I'll discuss later how I might handle death.

Your character has six stats/numbers associated with them:
    Strength
    Dexterity
    Constitution
    Intelligence
    Wisdom
    Charisma

They can be any value between 3 to 18, 3 being poor and 18 being great.

Strength determines how strong you are, how likely you are to hit with a sword or dagger and the damage you do when you hit.
    Dexterity determines ability to balance, chance to hit with a bow or ranged weapon and how hard you are to hit.
    Constitution gives you higher health and your chance to survive poisons or a lethal blow.
    Intelligence determines your ability to learn, especially important for magic users and your ability to read and write.
    Wisdom is willpower, perception and intution. It also detemines how much you can resist magic attacks.
    Charisma is used to see if you convince people and also how many followers/assistants you can hire.

When we get to making the characters I'll go more into how exactly they affect things, but for example a monster or human usually has to roll a 10 or better to hit you, but if you have Dexterity 15 they'll need to roll 11 or better.

You can be seven classes of people:
    Fighter - Good at fighting, hard to kill, no magic
    Magic-User - Poor at fighting, easy to kill, strong magic. Has to find spells to learn them.
    Cleric - Moderate at everything, half way between Fighter and Mage, but closer to Fighter. Good against undead. Different spell list to Magic-User. Has access to all their spells, but has to pray to their God in the morning to get a subset of them.
    Elf - Also half-way between Fighter and Magic-User, but closer to Magic-User.
    Dwarf - Very like the fighter. Not quite as good at fighting, but good at detecting traps.
    Halfling - Good at hiding and bows.
    Thief - The special class. Easy to kill, but has loads of special abilities like picking locks, climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

You know what, Travelller got me interested enough, so sign me up! I'll look at character generation as soon as I can. Thanks...

Advertisement