Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove and heating

• 03-02-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Need some advice on a heating system, currently have natural gas to a pressurised central heating and water tank, with no zones (manual value for summer only).

We are currently looking at installing a wood burner stove and direct water heating to the water tank (strongly recommended by supplier) - not connecting to the central heating as it would mean a much bigger stove, lots more plumbing and putting in expansion tanks (converted attic).

Is it possible to connect a pump to the central heating to create a flow and heat the central heating indirectly (effectively reversing the usual setup).

hopeful this makes Sense to someone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

The bad news is that you cannot connect a stove with a backboiler which is open vented to a pressurised system. The good news is that a WBS can provide a decent amount of heat which will cut down on your gas bills

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

doneDL is right, ..and for Gods sake don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StoveSearcher

Thanks, I think, OK so my idea is gone.

but does that mean that I can not connect a direct water heat boiler stove to the water tank witout converting the pressurised system to a open vented one. Effectively loosing the current benefit of a pressurised system and having to install an expansion tank anyway - or just install for the water water tank and leave the central heating alone.

sorry for sounding really thick but with conflicting information and ideas from stove suppliers and plumbers with unclear suggestions and answers when asked questions by me I am finding it difficult to be sure what I wil get at the end- and it is a big spend not to be fully sure
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

DoneDL wrote:
    The bad news is that you cannot connect a stove with a backboiler which is open vented to a pressurised system. The good news is that a WBS can provide a decent amount of heat which will cut down on your gas bills

This is factually wrong. In any case a heatexchanger can be used, connecting the open/vented thermal source with the closed/pressurised thermal source.
    Ask your plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Stove searcher wrote:
    but does that mean that I can not connect a direct water heat boiler stove to the water tank witout converting the pressurised system to a open vented one. Effectively loosing the current benefit of a pressurised system and having to install an expansion tank anyway - or just install for the water water tank and leave the central heating alone.

Off course you can run a boiler stove on pressure, depending on the make. There are numerous boiler stoves designed for that purpose. Read the manufacturer's installation guidelines.
    There are ( household)boiler stoves designed for up to 10 bar pressure, with EN certificate.

Is it possible to connect a pump to the central heating to create a flow and heat the central heating indirectly (effectively reversing the usual setup).

hopeful this makes Sense to someone.

It does make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StoveSearcher

Aaaaggghhh, more conflicting advice!!

Thanks all of you for taking the time to relpy.

Can anyone recommend a plumber based around the north dublin area who is familiar with stove installations, RGI certified and willing to have a look at our setup and advise

Much appreciated

SS

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

For any amount of money it is almost possible to do anything.;) But where you looked at the stove (that caught your eye), I am assuming you picked it for a reason, looks, price etc. Maybe it will help you if you go look at the 'other' type of stove and see, if, 'it catches your eye'. Sometimes what you want, done the way you want, when you want it is possible, but you are the one to decide within what parameters, that you may have in mind.
    Your retailer was right for what you had in mind, then, looking at what he had to offer. It goes as with most that for other types of stoves, other possibilities are available. This may not help but I think the cost issues may help you decide.

Advertisement