Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy olympics u-turn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gilmore

Hopefully he's form goes through the floor and he doesn't manage to qualify....that would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I doubt any golfer gives a hoot about winning an Olympic medal anyway. Majors are all that matters in golf.

Same as tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like Rory and I hope he wins a medal

He's a toilet brush head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's not a tan, he's more Irish than most people on this island with their planters surnames.

It's not that unusual for Catholics of Rory's generation to identify as 'Northern Irish.'

He identifies as British, he has said it himself.

To my original point, he didn't play for Team GB.

I've always found the angst towards McIlroy bemusing. OK he said he'd play for Ireland and then backed out, many other Golfers did the same.

People forget that Golfers are arguably the most selfish sports professionals on earth. The USA have always had the balance of the top golfers but have won only two of the last nine Ryder cups - they couldnt care less.

I think the rules behind Golf in the Olympics is also a factor. If Olympic Soccer was open to all I don't think Paul Pogba, Neymar and Raheem Sterling would be chomping at the bit to turn out in between 50+ game seasons.

They'd be better off keeping it amateur.

Oh Lowry should be told to F off too, as should anyone that refused to play in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think the rules behind Golf in the Olympics is also a factor. If Olympic Soccer was open to all I don't think Paul Pogba, Neymar and Raheem Sterling would be chomping at the bit to turn out in between 50+ game seasons.

They'd be better off keeping it amateur.

I agree with the amateur bit.
    It does not seem right that they have Soccer (u23), Tennis, Golf, Basketball as pros.

I find the boxing much more enjoyable that it is amateur for example.

Millionaires going for medals does not sit right with me.
    The amateurs would value wins way more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Maybe he doesn't give a **** about petty nationalism because he was randomly born in a random location he had nothing to do with and he doesn't give it a second thought.

And he'd be right.

Maybe he doesn't give a **** about petty nationalism because he was randomly born in a random location he had nothing to do with and he doesn't give it a second thought.

And he'd be right.

So why does he want to play in a competition that is based on where people are from?? They literally all walk out with the flags of their nations in the opening ceremony.

Why doesn't he play for Team GB then?
    It's bollix really.
    Rory seems very insincere about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He grew up in a thoroughly middle class unionist stronghold, I am fine with him identifying as British ( his perogative) , I just don't like the guy, he's a charisma free zone

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    A lot of the time the people doing it are the same buffoons who refer to teams from Manchester and Liverpool i.e. England/Great Britain as ''us''.

They are brand people consumers of a product. Not supporters in the truest sense.
    The same as Mcllroy will be a brand in the Olympics a product, not an Olympian in the truest sense (amateur).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Very angry people on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I just don't like the look of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Your Face wrote: »

I always thought that he looked a bit like a frog.

The animal, not a Frenchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wrong

The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.

Say that to Seb Coe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

razorblunt wrote: »
    The best player doesn't want to play under the flag.
    He's under fierce pressure to play I'd say though from Nike.
    He'd more than likely be happier sitting at home watching it on tv.

I don't think he'd bother his arse watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I doubt any golfer gives a hoot about winning an Olympic medal anyway. Majors are all that matters in golf.

Justin Rose was very proud to win Olympic gold. Himself & Stenson both gave a fantastic displays on the final day. Olympic golf is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He grew up in a thoroughly middle class unionist stronghold, I am fine with him identifying as British ( his perogative) , I just don't like the guy, he's a charisma free zone

He's also a pube head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Pissartist wrote: »
    100% he should be told to f**k off, the runt changes his mind as often as the wind changes direction.
    A very, very unlikeable person who shouldn't take the place of one of our committed players.

How is is not committed - who is 'more committed.
    He owes absolutely nobody anything - golf is HIS job. Get over it you clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Your Face wrote: »
    Me neither, all the McIlroys were shifty looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Grown men whacking a little rubber ball around the countryside with a metal bat.

What's the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Grown men whacking a little rubber ball around the countryside with a metal bat.

Because if they regularly whack their rubber ball fewer times than other grown men whacking their rubber ball they will get millions of dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

You’ll find a lot more recent, Relevant comments where he identifies as Northern Irish.

He has always played for Ireland, supported by GUI so obvious choice is Ireland.

He, along with many others couldn’t care about the Olympics especially in Brazil but now it’s in Japan and the commercial opportunities they will play. Good luck to him.

His name has saved the Irish open, he has given plenty to Irish golf. Plenty of people don’t like him which is fair enough but anyone who thinks the choice should be to play for Britain is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Obviously you're not a bowler!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

valoren wrote: »
    Because if they regularly whack their rubber ball fewer times than other grown men whacking their rubber ball they will get millions of dollars.

It's all a bit mad.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm excited to play for Ireland

So, do we welcome him with open arms or tell him to go and jump?
    We should welcome him I guess after all most of our best soccer players down through the years are British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

How is is not committed - who is 'more committed.
    He owes absolutely nobody anything - golf is HIS job. Get over it you clown.

A clown who can construct a sentence.

If he wins a gold medal we will probably have to play Ireland call as the anthem but that shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If he wins a gold medal we will probably have to play Ireland call as the anthem but that shouldn't be a problem.

No we won’t. Only one song for our Olympic team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not a fan of McIllroy but think he gets it a bit harsh. I mean no matter which team he decides to play for he is going to get abuse from one side or the other, he literally cant win.

Otherwise why do RTE news always cover him without fail in the sports news for every single tournament, with most of them being nothing competitions out in the Middle East for million dollar prizes. Hardly a weekend goes by that I dont learn on a Sunday evening that Rory McIllory is "off the pace" and came fourth in some non-descript golf tournament in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Qatar, etc. I couldn't care less unless he actually won it and even then its not a major so its hardly news. I dont know what the RTE news obsession is with him is but it is clearly there, they literally report all his losses along with the seldom wins.

Advertisement