Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking TIDAL EVENT experts.

• 27-09-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Have been told of some kind of special low tide/ exposed sands event next weekend on the west mayo coast that may be important

I am thinking it may be related to the moon cycle or equinox/

They told me the name// something strands. But cannot mind it

Seeking on the internet then thought some one in our skilled group here might know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

neep tide .

there you go . basic but succinct.

moon phases here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

John mac wrote: »
    neep tide .

there you go . basic but succinct.

moon phases here

That link does not work ….It is this one weekend only I am seeking info about. I know the system and see the exposed sands often. Just this next weekend is supposed to be extreme. For eg walking across bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Graces7 wrote: »
    That link does not work ….It is this one weekend only I am seeking info about. I know the system and see the exposed sands often. Just this next weekend is supposed to be extreme. For eg walking across bays.

Is it this weekend they were talking about? Seems to be spring tide this weekend so it should be out a fair bit at low tide today, tomorrow, Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Graces7 wrote: »

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/3rd-+-4th-class/3rd-+-4th-class-environme/sea-time-story/tides/spring-tides-neap-tides/

here's the link copy and paste it , should work .
    new 'superMoon ' tonight. is what your after so i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was a very high tide this evening in West Donegal, unusually so. No idea on names though, have always just known them as spring tides.

• Advertisement

Was a very high tide this evening in West Donegal, unusually so. No idea on names though, have always just known them as spring tides.

Yes here too.. Turns our my informant was woefully inaccurate and after today the next lowest tide in three weeks.. He does have a serious love affair with the bottle.. so all our weekend plans are cancelled.. maybe as well with Lorenzo. Not happy!

Many thanks; always someone on boards will have the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Spring tides occur in autumn too, if your looking for long range information on exceptionally low or high tides then this link is useful: https://www.sfpc.ie/marine-operations/tides/

Look for trends in highs and lows, see page 37 on the row for 30th September 2019 - it reads -0.3 for LW on that day. The negative number means the tide height will be 0.3 m below MLWS - Mean Low Water Springs.

MLWS is a long term average low water reading during a spring tide, a spring tide is an entirely predictable event.

http://www.coastalpractice.net/glossary/mlws-%20mean%20low%20water%20spring.htm

The weather has an impact too, atmospheric pressure can pull or push water across or from the earth - these are called surges and seiches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_surge

The linked tables are for the shannon estuary, you can use the trends observed to predict to the day when an exceptional tide will occur elsewhere in Ireland but the times won't be correct.

Also, if you are planning to take advantage of a low tide to walk out across water, please tell someone ashore what you are doing, when you expect to be back and have more then one phone fully charged. Sunset is getting earlier and the air temperatures are falling too, hypothermia isn't fun and the coastguard are busy enough.

Fascinating; thank you and I will keep this to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Timfy

Especially high tides are called spring tides, but they have nothing to do with the season and actually occur twice a month. I think the name comes from the German word "Springen" meaning "to leap".

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Westport/tides/latest will show you the tidal range as well as times.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

The ocean is a spectacular, humbling, living force. To be respected and even feared. There was one time I was atop it when we went over what felt like a bump. It was a rip tide current waking up. Watched it travel on like a snake We have no control; it is in charge. Has been a loooooooong time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭kindredspirit

The word you're looking for is Perigee, when the moon on its lunar orbit is closest to the earth.

Next perigee date is Oct 26. Old Moore's Almanac lists them.

The word you're looking for is Perigee, when the moon on its lunar orbit is closest to the earth.

Next perigee date is Oct 26. Old Moore's Almanac lists them.

That is the date we have been given..

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

And the tables I linked do show a negative tide, 0.2m below MLWS for Foynes late on the 26th.

Not all Spring tides are equal, hence the name. Springs in winter and Summer are smaller.

Advertisement